• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris Xtre,e 1.5-6x40 Tactical XTR Scope

gmar

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2011
Oklahoma
I'm looking to buy a .308 rifle in an AR platform. So, I'm also looking for an optic for it as well. I will mostly be using the rifle for hunting pigs and maybe some medium to longer range plinking. So I want an optic that has low power that will allow fast target acquisition with a large field of view but at the same time has the option to up the magnification for longer shoots.

Has anyone used this scope before, if so what are your thoughts on it? It's pretty pricey, is it worth the money or is there another optic you would recommend?

Here's the info on the Burris:

http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/Burris-Xtre...cle-201908.html

Re: Burris Xtre,e 1.5-9x40 Tactical XTR Scope

I've got the 1-5x XTR on my 3 gun AR and love it for the price it's hard to beat. Glass is good and has held it's zero for several years. I never dial, just use the hash marks for hold off and think it's the shit.

Re: Burris Xtre,e 1.5-9x40 Tactical XTR Scope

I had one and it had to go back. There was a 2" POI shift when changing power from 1.5 to 6x. I'd not buy another one.

Re: Burris Xtre,e 1.5-6x40 Tactical XTR Scope

That would be great for close up and medium range, but what long distances were you looking to shoot? I use a DPMS 308 and can walk that machine out to 750 yards on plates, but use a 3-12 M223. Setup has worked perfectly. If you're looking to stretch that distance you might want to bump the magnification from 6x to around 10x. The Vortex PST 2.5-10 would be an ideal choice. Great glass and a nice price.

Trevor B.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

The longest range I have to shoot is 600 yards but hopefully that will change if a land deal for my buddy goes through.

Trevor I will take a look at the Vortex as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Optics Planet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That would be great for close up and medium range, but what long distances were you looking to shoot? I use a DPMS 308 and can walk that machine out to 750 yards on plates, but use a 3-12 M223. Setup has worked perfectly. If you're looking to stretch that distance you might want to bump the magnification from 6x to around 10x. The Vortex PST 2.5-10 would be an ideal choice. Great glass and a nice price.

Trevor B.</div></div>

I just looked at the Vortex PST on your website, it looks really nice but I had a question about the two different reticles.

Can you explain the differences between the MRAD and MOA? Is one better for a certain task or is it just personal preference?