• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris Xtreme rings not centered on EGW rail

Brett_B

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2009
Ohio
Hello all,

I have an EGW rail that I will be using on my Tikka T3 when it arrives. My Burris 30mm Xtreme rings just showed up and when test fitting I noticed that they aren’t centered on the rail. The EGW rail seems fine, I tried the Burris rings on another rail and got the same off-centered results.

I would imagine this would cause an issue with windage being correct at a 100 yard zero, but being off at other ranges?

Suggestions for other rings I could try out? I liked the large contact area of the Burris rings, but will use whatever works best.

Thanks,
Brett

Re: Burris Xtreme rings not centered on EGW rail

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brett B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all,

I have an EGW rail that I will be using on my Tikka T3 when it arrives. My Burris 30mm Xtreme rings just showed up and when test fitting I noticed that they aren’t centered on the rail. The EGW rail seems fine, I tried the Burris rings on another rail and got the same off-centered results.

I would imagine this would cause an issue with windage being correct at a 100 yard zero, but being off at other ranges?

Suggestions for other rings I could try out? I liked the large contact area of the Burris rings, but will use whatever works best.

Thanks,
Brett
</div></div>

Brett,

Not to give you a hard time, but the Burris XTR are cheap Chinese junk and not to be used for serious work. You have a nice platform with the T3 and EGW rail so spend a little more for top notch rings. What scope are you running?

Scott

I was running burris xtr's on my egw and they seemed to line up fine and hold up pretty well. I knew they weren't badgers, but hell for 50 bucks they werent bad. I'm going to try the Super Sniper rings just for the hell of it to see if they are okay. Try lapping them, it might help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Brett,

Not to give you a hard time, but the Burris XTR are cheap Chinese junk and not to be used for serious work. You have a nice platform with the T3 and EGW rail so spend a little more for top notch rings. What scope are you running?

Scott
</div></div>

Scott,

Thanks for the honest assessment. I have no problem buying better rings, just didn't know that the Burris Xtreme rings were considered low quality. What 30mm rings would you recommend? I would prefer something in stock and ready to go, as I plan on taking my new setup on a hunting trip in about 1.5 weeks if I have time to get it dialed in.

The scope I am using is a Burris Euro Diamond 3-12x50 illuminated 30mm tube. This rifle will be used for low light hunting and target shooting out to 300 yards, so I figured this would be a good intermediate scope since it got good reviews for optical quality and brightness on some other forums. So far I am pleased with it.

http://swfa.com/Burris-3-12x50-Euro-Diamond-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P3005.aspx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brett B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all,

Thanks,
Brett
</div></div>

Brett,

Not to give you a hard time, but the Burris XTR are cheap Chinese <span style="color: #FF0000">junk </span>and not to be used for serious work. You have a nice platform with the T3 and EGW rail so spend a little more for top notch rings. What scope are you running?

Scott
</div></div>

Scott,

You've always given me great customer support and service and are always free with your opinions.
wink.gif
I think I know where you're coming from here, but I think you're being a little harsh.

Junk???

Really??

"Used for serious work"... If you mean professional operators whose life is on the line and expect RTZ every time, then no, there are better rings for not that much more. However, I'm pretty damn serious when I get behind my rifle and those rings have served me well on several rigs (hunting and precision).

The Burris rings are half the price of the Seekins (which I also own) but I wouldn't say that the Seekins are *twice* as good. Clearly they're not in the same design or finish league, but once installed they perform their intended purpose just fine; hold zero, don't slip, etc. Hardly junk. I would call them budget, adequate, serviceable... (terms that might not alienate part of your real or potential customer base
grin.gif
) but not junk.

There's a shitload of Burris XTR rings on budget (and not so budget. Gander through the precision rifle's thread...) tactical and precision rifles out there already, and you stand the risk of unnecessarily alienating these people.

Stick to pointing out the positives of the stuff you carry, and combined with your great CS, they'll sell themselves.

John

Brett... I've had 5 sets of XTR rings and have never had a windage problem... possible that it's a bad set or possibly an optical illusion...

Here are some pictures. The first one shows the scope being closer to right side of the rail when mounted in the rings, this is where I first noticed the rings not being centered. The second two show some measurements, the rings are off the center axis of the rail to the right by .040. I guess this isn’t as bad as I thought it was when I first noticed they looked to be off center.

24152990228_large.jpg

24152990229_large.jpg

24152990230_large.jpg

Looks F'd up to me. Where'd you get them? I know Midway will take back stuff. I'd try another pair, or get different rings. That's a lot of offset.

John

ive had three sets of xtr's. i didnt know i was buying junk. they all lined up just fine. call or email burris before you go buying new stuff. why waste money if you can get them replaced? that being said, measure the width of the rail just for fun. if my thinking is right, the rings were made to clamp to something of a certin width. if it were narrower it could leave you hanging. should be 0.831"-0.832"ish

i just checked a few of mine on my EGW base, the 0.7xx" is what both sides of mine measure. check your base

also, if they are such crap, why do you guys carry them??

Yep, an oversized rail would make the rings offset to the right, and an undersized rail would make them offset to the left, since the right side "claw" of the ring doesn't move. The EGW rail measures 0.833-0.834" at it's widest so it doesn't appear to be oversized.

I did get the rings from Midway and I am sure they would exchange them, just figured I would get another pair with the same problem since both rings in this package show the same offset measurements.

send them back and try optics planet. they have free shipping. what height are they?? they look like lows. the only extra i have are mediums

when you send them back, claim defective since they are and i think they pay return shipping. email them a pic, but i dont think they will care, just replace

i hade the same problem a few months ago same rings and base so i just sent both rings and base back

base should have been fine. seems to be the rings. his rail is as wide as mine. whats spec for a picatinny/weaver rail? i know slots are different, but width is the same isnt it?

The rail width is well within spec, it's something with the rings. From Wikipedia for a Picatinny rail:

666px-M1913A_Rail_CrossSection.svg.png

I have several sets of Burris XTR rings and while they may not be NF rings they are not junk. I have had no problems with any of them. They have held as good as Leupold rings I have had. I would say that if you are using a Burris scope the Burris XTR rings would be fine. Besides, every company has a slip up once in a while. Just my .02.

I had a pair mounted on a cheap scope a while back, and while it may have been the gun it was on, the rings were most likely off center as well.

nice find brett. try optics planet. i just got a set of lows about 2 weeks ago, they were fine. of call burris monday morning. they will make it right. im sure they heard about it by now

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brett B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Brett,

Scott
</div></div>

Scott,

Thanks for the honest assessment. I have no problem buying better rings, just didn't know that the Burris Xtreme rings were considered low quality. What 30mm rings would you recommend? I would prefer something in stock and ready to go, as I plan on taking my new setup on a hunting trip in about 1.5 weeks if I have time to get it dialed in.

The scope I am using is a Burris Euro Diamond 3-12x50 illuminated 30mm tube. This rifle will be used for low light hunting and target shooting out to 300 yards, so I figured this would be a good intermediate scope since it got good reviews for optical quality and brightness on some other forums. So far I am pleased with it.

http://swfa.com/Burris-3-12x50-Euro-Diamond-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P3005.aspx </div></div>

Not super tactical with a 1/2" nut holding them on, but Warne Maxima 30mm rings are very nice for the price!
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=729329

Ive had three sets of te burris.....all the same fkin problem....
Warne all the way

You guys are letting the rail off way too fast. I got a 20moa mount for my 700 and it was a total POS. It would not sit passively on the reciever. With the rear screw down the front was.25 off. I tred to lap it. What a mess. EGW took it back but I went with Badger Ord. No problems.

rail meets specs, its the same as mine and my rings sit centered. what does "sit passively" mean? ive only owned 2 of these bases, but they were fine. no one so far has posted any issues with EGW bases.

bry, what height were the three you had?

Brett, just noticed you must have three,or four arms. Howed you snap the pics of yourself measuring the rings?
laugh.gif

Seriously, thats spooky!

I have had only one set of xtr's but they wouldn't hold my S.S. 10x 42 at all. Scope moved all over the place! remounted scope four different times. After the fourth time,I finally called Burris, and they shipped me a pair of signature "z" rings that I have not had a problem with yet. The rifle this was all mounted to is a Savage model 11 in .300 wsm that before optics weighs only 6.5lbs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdgray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even better price on the Warne rings
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00223213M </div></div>

The Warne 213M split rings was my answer to the offset ring problem. I didn't have the cash to throw out for top-end stuff, so that is what landed me into the Burris rings to begin with.

Most people complain about how "difficult" it is to mount the split Warnes, but I never had a problem. I have now purchased a set of the EGW split rings, and I can't hardly wait to get my rig setup!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdgray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even better price on the Warne rings
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00223213M </div></div>

The Warne 213M split rings was my answer to the offset ring problem. I didn't have the cash to throw out for top-end stuff, so that is what landed me into the Burris rings to begin with.

Most people complain about how "difficult" it is to mount the split Warnes, but I never had a problem. I have now purchased a set of the EGW split rings, and I can't hardly wait to get my rig setup!!

DK </div></div>

My only complaint with the warne rings, is the recoil lug needs to be wider, to take up the fore and aft movement. Just hold them forward, and snug them up, no problems. Great looking rings, too....Not overly bulky.

I just mounted a Millett 4-16x56 using Burris XTR high rings on an AR flat top I built and didn't have any problems. I guess I got lucky from what I have read here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The rifle this was all mounted to is a Savage model 11 in .300 wsm that before optics weighs only 6.5lbs. </div></div>

Ouch! Now that rifle would need a set of good rings.
smile.gif

okie

BTW, I have a set of XTR's on a VSSF, no problems but I did lap them.

I have two sets of Burris XTR rings, one medium and one low. I find them to be of good quality, at a reasonable price and have had exactly zero issues with them.
The scope tube will fail long before the rings will fail, they are very robust.

Thanks to everybody for the great advice, I ordered a set of Seekins low rings from Scott at Liberty Optics. The Warne rings looked good for the price but I liked the layout of the Seekins a bit better. Since others have had similar problems with the Burris rings, I’ll just send them back to Midway and ask for a refund. I'm sure there are plenty of good sets out there, but I didn't want to mess with hoping my next pair line up correctly.

I’ll post some pictures once I get everything mounted up.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdgray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brett, just noticed you must have three,or four arms. Howed you snap the pics of yourself measuring the rings?
laugh.gif

Seriously, thats spooky!

</div></div>

Heh, you are the only one who noticed! I had my woman help take the photos.
smile.gif

Just because the rail width measures proper doesnt mean its in spec. Also, Just to clarify i AM NOT in any way saying the rail is at fault or the rings. so dont think im bashing on anyone else product. Just helpful info.

The measurement you need is from the bottom angle on the base to the top of the base. Something not easily measured and definitely not with calipers. The overall width of the base has nothing to do with how centered your rings will be. Only the surfaces that count for anything are the ones that actually touch your rings.

A extruded product is always going to be cheaper than billet. Especially when the billet is 7075 material.
wink.gif

Why not use EGW rings? Very well made, in America, by Americans, tool steel, why not?

I have found the EGW rings to be excellent. I also like the TSR/HRT rings made by TPS Products. I think they are both made in USA.

I just bought both the EGW base and that same set of rings off swfa.com. No problems on my end. Rifle is rock solid as far as I can tell. You must have just gotten a bum set. Send em back as others have said.

i have the same problem. my egw base measures .830. i guess within spec. do you think burris will let me just bring the rifle and all in and try a pair to see if we can make it work? anyone dealt with them? i live 20 miles east of Burris.

my scope cants to the right.

if you are that close, i would personally be totally giddy with the chance to take something like that into the factory where it was made, but id find a different brand of base to try just as a double check. and have that in my back pocket if they said its the EGW base. but thats just me

im guessing it wasnt made there. i asked them once in there what the still made here in the US. they said just the high end scopes like the Euro series. and they do all the warranty repair there.

ok, humor me. when you mount your rings on your picatinny, which direction is the tightening knob?

my wife took my rings back to Burris today. They gave me a new set and told her to have me keep the old set. I installed them. same problem. the question is, am i too stupid to mount a scope? if i mount the rear ring, with the tightening knob to the left and the fron ring with the tightening knob to the right, it is much straighter. but not straight. i have tried the egw rail. and the burris 2 piece steel picatinny rail. with the same results. any ideas, before i drive 20 miles to town and deal with Burris. i hate most people (except I love you guys, so answer my question), so going to town to deal with a problem, does not excite me.

man thats a strange problem. either the run of rings that were out of spec is that big or ... its gremlins

My problem had nothing to do with Burris Rings. I went down to Burris myself the next day. We went through several of the XTR rings and the Signture rings. My scope is bent. Burris was great in helping me. They went out of their way for a cheap pair of rings. And they gave me a second set free.

lol, seriously? a bent scope? thats too funny. not funny that way, just funny that it was never brought up as an option. who would have guessed?

its not that bent. and i find it much less amuzing.

i can see how someone who didnt just buy the falcon 5-25 would think it was funny though.

like i said, its not the fact that your scope is bent thats funny. just that it wasnt a consideration when the issue came up. did you get it new? any word on getting warranty work done on it?

i feel your pain. my scope was broken when i took it out of the box.

the scope was new. I got it from Mitchell ordinance. I got it a few months ago. but, i was using a different scope, and in the mean time painted the falcon. and when i went to mount it. bad news its bent. i guess i could have bent it. although i am not sure how. Taylor Mitchell, said he would he would talk to the falcon people and see what they say. I think I am screwed.. at the Burris factory we set it on the rollers and it sure enough is bent between the center and the bell. basically right in the middle of the tube.

Fuking FUK! I just ordered an EGW 20MOA base and Burris XTR rings from OpPlan because that's what everyone seemed to be running on Savage LE models. Fuk me. The way my luck is running lately mine will be fukt too.
frown.gif

I'm having a bad fuking day. Fuk.

BTW ... I've never heard a vendor call his own products "cheap Chinese junk" before. So at least I am entertained and learning where <span style="font-style: italic">not </span>to shop this morning. Maybe my day is getting better.

Probably not. Fuk!
frown.gif

Snakum- read just above your post, the problem was the scope, not the mounts.

Also, Scott never called his own products "cheap Chinese junk". The guy that said that then linked to SWFA's site- Scott runs Liberty Optics, not SWFA. If you can find a link to Burris mounts on his site, by all means, post it up. Buy from whoever you want, but if you avoid Liberty Optics because Axeman has poor reading comprehension, you're missing great customer service. I think I've only ordered from him once, but will again for sure.

You're absolutely right, Red. I stand corrected. Apologies Scott. To atone, I will order the Elite 4200 3-12X44 with Target turrets and MilDot reticle from you today if you have it in stock (there was no price listed).
laugh.gif

Wow, I glad I read the conclusion I just ordered Burris XTR rings. I've used them successflly before but I was wondering. Now when they get in I'll put them on my SOCOM 16 with Sadlak Mount.