• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTRiii 5.5-30 elevation knob hard to turn?

6.5grendel

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2019
I have a Burris XTRiii 5.5-30 and the elevation turret has always been really stiff to turn. I thought it would eventually loosen up but hasn't. Does anyone else have this issue with this scope? I want to make sure this isn't normal for this model before I send it in to Burris to get checked out. The elevation knob is much harder to turn than the windage and parallax knobs.

I have a Burris XTRiii 5.5-30 and the elevation turret has always been really stiff to turn. I thought it would eventually loosen up but hasn't. Does anyone else have this issue with this scope? I want to make sure this isn't normal for this model before I send it in to Burris to get checked out. The elevation knob is much harder to turn than the windage and parallax knobs.
I have the same scope, and mine is slightly stiff, but it's also pretty much brand new, and I wouldn't say it's overly stiff. It's smoother than my XTR-II elevation turrets. You do want it to be somewhat firm, so you can precisely dial without over-dialing and having to reverse every time, and so it doesn't move if it gets bumped or something.

what does 'stiff' mean to you?

what other scopes can you compare to
2-3 times harder to turn that the windage knob. Probably 5 times harder to turn than my Nightforce NXS, Sightron Siii, Vortex Viper PST Gen2, Leupold vx3.

I've gotten a couple XTRIIIs that were fairly stiff. They loosened up a bit over time. But they aren't loose and easy to turn. And my preference runs that direction. I like it too stiff to bump.

Reactions: FuhQ
My non illuminated is stiff, my xtr2 was stiff too. Both feel about the same, I figured it’s just the nature of the mechanism. Stiff and muffled, I’m sure it’s on purpose. I see the benefits of it.

Reactions: FuhQ