• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTRIII Windage Cap

Hox

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2021
Ohio
Hello,

I purchased an XTRIII 3.3-18x illuminated model. All the literature I could find stated the XTRIII came with the option of a capped windage turret or exposed for dialing, including the manual in the box. I planned to use the exposed for dialing.

To my surprise, the exposed turret was not in the box. I contacted Burris. They stated they no longer are offering an option, and exposed winded turrets are not available for purchase separately either. They don't make them anymore.

Anybody have an XTRIII exposed turret they don't use? I've mounted the scope assuming it was possible to obtain the turret, so I can't return it and go another route. I did let Burris know they need to update their manual and product page.

They do need to update the manual to reflect this change.

When they stopped making the XTRIII in the US and move it to the Phillipines for the illuminated model, they dropped the exposed windage turret.

The decision was made to help lower pricing and due to the fact the feedback showed the very large majority of folks were running capped. Based on that, I know there are quite windage caps out there not in use.

that's a shame...especially considering the same cap fit on the XTR Pro iirc

hopefully they reverse this

time to make a WTB for a cap for a scope i don't own yet

Oddly, my XTR IIIi I bought on the classifieds a couple weeks ago came with both.

When they stopped making the XTRIII in the US and move it to the Phillipines for the illuminated model, they dropped the exposed windage turret.

The decision was made to help lower pricing and due to the fact the feedback showed the very large majority of folks were running capped. Based on that, I know there are quite windage caps out there not in use.

Wait, I thought the XTR-III was always Phillipine production? If an XTR-III came with the exposed windage turret, is that a US production variant?

Reactions: Birddog6424
Wait, I thought the XTR-III was always Phillipine production? If an XTR-III came with the exposed windage turret, is that a US production variant?
That's correct.

The XTRIII was made stateside for approximately 3 years, and included an exposed windage turret or cap in every box.

They moved production to tje Phillipines about a year ago with the release of the illuminated version.

Reactions: R_A_W
That's correct.

The XTRIII was made stateside for approximately 3 years, and included an exposed windage turret or cap in every box.

I think the Philippine production must have initially shipped with the extra windage cap - I have a 5.5-30 w/ illuminated SCR2 that came with both caps.

I think the Philippine production must have initially shipped with the extra windage cap - I have a 5.5-30 w/ illuminated SCR2 that came with both caps.

That's entirely possible. There's been a bit of a shuffle as they tried to decide what each scope kit would entail in the XTRIII and Pro. They juggled around the Race Dial, windage turrets, throw levers, etc. Production availability influenced those decisions in a few cases.

But I think they've landed on capped windage and an available aftermarket Race Dial for the XTRIII.

Reactions: R_A_W
that's a shame...especially considering the same cap fit on the XTR Pro iirc

hopefully they reverse this

time to make a WTB for a cap for a scope i don't own yet
If you come across 2 new ones, holler at me. I wouldn't mind having one for having the option with my XTR-IIIi 5.5-30x56...

Just checked the box, my Philippines built XTR-IIIi 5.5-30x56 did NOT come with an extra turret. And it was still factory sealed in the plastic from EuroOptic when I got it. Anybody got an extra one they don't want, holler at me.

If you come across 2 new ones, holler at me. I wouldn't mind having one for having the option with my XTR-IIIi 5.5-30x56...

Just checked the box, my Philippines built XTR-IIIi 5.5-30x56 did NOT come with an extra turret. And it was still factory sealed in the plastic from EuroOptic when I got it. Anybody got an extra one they don't want, holler at me.
That’s weird I ordered mine for euro optics and it came with the extra windage cap .

That’s weird I ordered mine for euro optics and it came with the extra windage cap .
I checked my Burris box right before posting, and it wasn’t in there. Is yours a 3.3-18x or a 5.5-30? Mine is the 5.5-30x version. It could be that the 3.3-18x version still comes with it? 🤷🏼

If the 5.5-30x versions don’t come with it, maybe @Birddog6424 can get Burris to send us all our a turret? 🤷🏼

Mine is a 5.5-30. I installed it on the scope a couple days ago. I actually didn’t know they came with them. I figured they were just capped.

Just speculation but it's probably the same thing that happened with the throw levers and anodizing for the XTR Pro.
Don't let a small part hold it from shipping. Send it and if people ask, we will ship them the rest of it.

Just for more info, the 3-18 xtr3i that I received direct from Burris about 2 weeks ago had the capped windage installed but included a larger exposed windage knob in the foam inside the box.

Just for more info, the 3-18 xtr3i that I received direct from Burris about 2 weeks ago had the capped windage installed but included a larger exposed windage knob in the foam inside the box.
I checked mine, but saw no turret. Any way you can post a pic of where in the foam it was?

Here yeah go.
5E283FB5-2EB6-43EB-B228-555672390B13.jpeg

Yep, that's where mine was. I'm still not home so I haven't taken a picture yet.

That's where I figured it would be. Unfortunately mine did not come with one. That said, when I called EuroOptic today to order my NF ATACR F1 5-25x56 MIL-XT (I don't know why 🤷🏼, I just really wanted one for testing... 🤦🏼), the guy I always deal with said he'd see if he could get the guys in the warehouse to track one down for me, or try to get me one from Burris if they have to. They're awesome, and it's CS like that, is exactly why I buy all my alpha-tier scopes from them.

I took delivery of my XTRIII 5.5-30 illum in MIL on Friday. It shipped directly from their headquarters in Greely, CO. It did come with the extra windage knob which I promptly installed. I took it to the range on Sunday. I purchased this scope to get into long range shooting. I have owned many scopes in the 18-25x max magnification range and many fall off with image quality at higher magnification. I bought this based on the reviews, reputation of Burris and the price. After mounting the scope, I zeroed and bullseyed the target with 3 shots. From there I went out to 350 yards and put rounds on steel with my second shot using the reticle holdover. The glass is clear and crisp. The image does deteriorate at high magnification, but is better than Vortex PST Gen II and my Arken EP5. With the 5.5-30 there is plenty of usable magnification. The illumination is bright enough for daylight shooting. The turrets are crisp. I was concerned about the SCR2 reticle being to thin, but on the range I had no issues. I would certainly buy this scope again. This is my first time shooting beyond 200 yards and I was impressed with the XTRIII's performance. The range I frequent goes out to 1200 yards so I should be able to put this scope to good use. BTW, I purchased this on ExpertVoice at a significant discount.

Last edited: