• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing bush firing pin to end cratered primers-worth it?

WCW308

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2008
Central Idaho
I have a new to me (used) rifle. Built on trued Rem 700 action, good components, little use. It came with seller's loaded ammo. All fired brass that came with it has cratered primers. I have plenty of rifles and have never seen a primer that looks like this. It seems as though it should shoot better than it does-inconsistent accuracy- 3 shots touching, other 2 are 1" apart with no consistency. I have pulled bullets & dropped charge 7-8% reloaded & shot -still cratered, poor accuracy. Will bushing the firing pin to stop the primer flow (Fed 210's) help with accuracy to a large extent?
Opinions appreciated.

Re: bush firing pin to end cratered primers-worth it?

As long as other pressure indicators are acceptable, it's not a problem, just an annoyance. I can't afford to fix annoyances that do not indicate true problems. Others may.

Accuracy problems with ammo of unknown vintage can have inaccuracy for any number of reasons, none of which may even have been present when it was assembled. Move on. Shoot it and reload it.

As per the first paragraph, if other pressure signs are not in agreement with the cratering, proceed with load development, and base your charge weights on accuracy and current overall pressure signs, rather than a problem whose origins may not have anything to do with current issues.

Unless the firing pin hole is WAY of center, that probably won't help accuracy much. But...with it fitting tightly, you'll be able to play with the loads to work up a good load with better indication of pressure signs. It is hard to tell primer conditions when they all crater. I'd suspect bedding first, and check that. Then I'd pull the bullets and rebuild the loads. (I personally will NEVER again fire another persons handloads...I like to be able to see out of my one good eye!) Greg makes the point of not loading match loads way ahead of time...he feels that the long time loads cause too much varience in velocities and accuracy. You may be a recipient of that condition. Make your own ammo. Or buy factory. You might want to try a box of Black Hills or Federal Gold Medal Match to check things out. If the primers look okay, then you know the previous owner was pushing the envelope...if the match ammo doesn't group well...then you'll know to work on the rifle. JMHO

Change primers. Fed 210,s are one of the softest rifle primers out there. Try cci br2,s...they have a thicker cup.
Primer cratering is just an annoyance, it wont make any difference to how the gun shoots.

Greg Tannel will turn down your pin, bush it and ship it back for $60 or so. Just do it, it makes the box of spent brass look so much better with the cute little tiny firing pin indentations
smile.gif

Having Greg T bush the firing pin made no difference in the accuracy or amount of powder I could burn on my rifle, only thing that changed was how the primer looked. Shot great before I had it done and shot great afterward.

Re: bush firing pin to end cratered primers-worth

Ah, thanks all. 1st, no slight intended for seller of the rifle. I did pull the bullets, change powder type , switched to BR-2 primers & used a slightly different lighter bullet + group size was about 1/2 of previous original load. A huge improvement, in my opinion 1/2 moa @ 110 yds.

Interesting to hear of Greg Tannel bushing... I had one rem 700 action trued / firing pin bushed by Gre-tan several years back, rifle shoots great...the hole in the bolt is much smaller in the bushed action. Alot of primer flow into the space on my newer rifle. Do not think it is from a hot load though.

Here are photos of the fired cases in question (Lapua .243)with BR-2 & Fed primers-both cratered. & a photo of my .308 with what I consider a good fired primer.

Note that there are no ejector marks & primer is not too flat, so think it's a safe load. BR-2 left, Fed 210 right. No chrono.

308_primer.jpg

primer_2.jpg

I had Greg do the bolt in my edge. Works GREAT! Turn around time was super fast and very affordable.

Thanks for the info Goin'Hot & Shooter65. I called Greg & he said send in on. $39.00...to bush it & return shipping. It was early am, he had just been out to shoot 2 yotes before heading to work at his new spread, in ....Rifle, CO! He returned my call in 8 minutes. Guess that's how long it takes to kill 2 yotes...This man spent 15 minutes on the phone with me for a little job( even with a sizable backlog of work), and I enjoy talking with him & learn something every time I talk with him. I must be honest, he built my .221 with a very ordinary (POS was the term he used) Rem 700 action years back & suggested I bush the pin-I did not even know what he meant. He did. Now I do understand. Also, thanks to SH - learn here too.

No problem. His work is outstanding and worth the money.

Actually this stuff sounds like a steal deal, and the source being suggested has always enjoyed a high level of my own respect. My only concern is whether or not there's actually anything broke that needs such decisive fixing.

Greg

For the cratered and flowing primers I'd say no big deal, shoot on.

I did have a Badger M2008 that was piercing primers every time, no matter what the primer. Sent it to GreTan and the problem went away. Fast turnaround, great deal, ideal service.

All the primer fired from my Rem. LTR looks just like the two bottom pic's above. The rifle shoot .5moa at 300y with my load most of the time as long as I do my part. The way I see it is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Ken

Thanks gents for the info...which is what I am asking for...sounds like "there really is not a problem here"-I just didn't know if it was safe or not-fellow I bought the rifle from clearly is a proficient shooter & reloader-me less so....doubt there is a more experienced group of shooters to be found for advice than SH. I will both shoot some & post pix of the bolt job, will it shoot $39.00 better-it better....

I would try a new firing pin spring.
As the edge of the primmers are still round,
Not flattened indicating over pressure.
A weak spring could cause inconsisant ignition
just like a bad batch of primmers.