• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Bushcraft Knives

Ironically for the timing of this thread, I had just ordered a couple days ago the CPK "Field Knife 2". I don't have the blade in hand yet, but looking forward to it just based on CPK's reputation and the quality of their 3V heat treat. Still love the Bradford G4, but had to have a CPK 3v knife. :p

Specs

qTVu4l0.jpg

I know for me the Moras get abused way more than my $300.00 Bushcraft knifes. They are in my pack to be used to do tasks that I don’t want to use my main blade for. For fear of rolling or chipping the edge or snapping off the tip. They are the Bic of the knife world in that sense.

Agree Moras are awesome, for 99% of common uses don't need a fancy blade like my other ones. I have a couple Moras, a plain one and a Garberg, both are excellent knives. Probably not top choice for survival blades but for 'bushcraft', oustanding. Had my Garberg converted from scandi to convex by a local sharpening pro, that thing is a laser and only cost $12 to convert the grind.

Reactions: Loner and Leftie
Busse knives made from infi steel, I’ve heard people say they saw the knife bend on the edge for example, and later return to normal. Will try one at some point.

Any love for the Ka-Bar Becker series?

Got the step-son a Mora Bushmaster for Christmas; glad to see it's a good knife (for the price point).

I was eye-balling something more along the lines of a Mora Garberg (full tang) or a Ka-Bar BK-22 for myself; might pick up a Bushmaster for a 'spare' as well.

Any love for the Ka-Bar Becker series?

Got the step-son a Mora Bushmaster for Christmas; glad to see it's a good knife (for the price point).

I was eye-balling something more along the lines of a Mora Garberg (full tang) or a Ka-Bar BK-22 for myself; might pick up a Bushmaster for a 'spare' as well.

I'm a fan of the Becker series knives too - they're not anything special, but the BK-2 is an extremely hardy knife that takes an edge well. I've carried a BK-16 since I was a kid working on a farm, and that knife has performed really well for general tasks. The Becker scales are nice too, as you can change them out for a number of different materials, but the stock black ones that come with most of their knives are quite comfy in the hand and haven't really given me any hot spots.

Just used my Garberg today to limb the Christmas tree, and it works very well. I wouldn't hesitate to pick another up (and probably will soon)!

Moras are good light/medium duty knives but Ive replaced it with Varusteleka Jääkäripuukko knives. Cheap enough to buy several to stash. Same 80crv2 as my Winklers and seems about as sturdy. Yes they are ugly and look like something elves would use.

Reactions: Davo308
I'm a fan of the Becker series knives too - they're not anything special, but the BK-2 is an extremely hardy knife that takes an edge well. I've carried a BK-16 since I was a kid working on a farm, and that knife has performed really well for general tasks. The Becker scales are nice too, as you can change them out for a number of different materials, but the stock black ones that come with most of their knives are quite comfy in the hand and haven't really given me any hot spots.

Just used my Garberg today to limb the Christmas tree, and it works very well. I wouldn't hesitate to pick another up (and probably will soon)!

Good to hear!

Having carried these knives that much, what's your preference as far as sheath? I'm guessing you haven't been toting it around in the original plastic or nylon all that time?

Moras are good light/medium duty knives but Ive replaced it with Varusteleka Jääkäripuukko knives. Cheap enough to buy several to stash. Same 80crv2 as my Winklers and seems about as sturdy. Yes they are ugly and look like something elves would use.

I'm really interested in learning more about these knives, as I've eyed them up, and have heard great things, but haven't yet picked one up.

Good to hear!

Having carried these knives that much, what's your preference as far as sheath? I'm guessing you haven't been toting it around in the original plastic or nylon all that time?

As far as the BK2 goes, the plastic sheath is garbage, the nylon ones aren't that bad though. I rarely carry a knife as large as the BK2; I've found that I would rather have a machete or an axe in hand or close by for larger cutting tasks that the BK2 would accomplish, and then a knife with a blade of no more than 4-5" for most bushcrafting tasks relegated to a knife. You would be very surprised just how much you can do with a well-designed knife and a blade under 5" in the woods. Where I see the BK2 being an excellent knife is if you only have one tool that needs to handle abuse, chop/baton wood, possibly kill/butcher things, and dig/wedge/pry things. That's the primary reason that I have one in a car kit to augment whatever I also carry with me.

The BK11 is another story, as the sheath isn't awful, and I jerry-rigged an IWB setup that worked decently for me and added a pair of micarta scales to fill out the handle.

I have a sheath from Yellow Hawk Kydex (https://yellowhawkcustomkydex.com/) for my Mora Garberg (which probably gets the most general use), but have heard good things about Armatus Carry Solutions. https://www.armatuscarry.com. I haven't used them personally though.

I tend to carry folders and then small (sub-3") fixed blades mostly these days, only opting for larger fixed blades when I am openly carrying them in the field. Anything that requires chopping either gets a machete or an axe, which is a luxury in bulk and weight that I am lucky to be able to afford.

Hope that this is helpful.

Esee hm series. Price is right, performance is there, unbeatable warentee. Take the standard esee grip, and fix it. You got the hm.

Esee 3hm and 6hm.

Attachments

• 20210103_160308.jpg
    20210103_160308.jpg
    764.4 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: Remington_Steel
Busse are not magic. I own one, use the shit out of it and have noticed that it dulls faster than I'd like and feels indistructable. Infi is A7mod. Its a good steel. Busse seems to heat treat it(atleast my example) on the softer side. What they do have is a amazing warrenty, customer service and resale value. Mines worth more now, used hard, than I paid new.
It's a Nuclear Meltdown Fusion SteelHeart. I would trust it and a dmt folding stone to walk off in the woods for a very long time.

• Love
Reactions: Remington_Steel
The new Mora Kniv Bushcraft models are full tang and quite a bit thicker.
I've used the smaller knife shown to split logs during several wilderness survival training sessions for a wilderness SAR training academy.
Good enough to do the work well and cheap enough to not worry about dropping it in the woods.
The Bushcraft Garberg is 6x the cost of the other -but a much more substantial knife.

Attachments

• tempImageI2WD1H.png
    tempImageI2WD1H.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • tempImageSXEW5D.png
    tempImageSXEW5D.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Ive come to the same conclusion. The Varustlekas are rock solid and affordible. Some people put new grips on but I havent found a need.

Its almost like a beefed up Garberg for the cost of a bushcraft. Even im stainless they hold up well.

I admit I own a few. One of my daughters carries one as a camp knife. I have a few around for anyone in need. They work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 41
Busse are not magic. I own one, use the shit out of it and have noticed that it dulls faster than I'd like and feels indistructable. Infi is A7mod. Its a good steel. Busse seems to heat treat it(atleast my example) on the softer side. What they do have is a amazing warrenty, customer service and resale value. Mines worth more now, used hard, than I paid new.
It's a Nuclear Meltdown Fusion SteelHeart. I would trust it and a dmt folding stone to walk off in the woods for a very long time.
I have a swamp rat. Ratmandu? I think. I have beat the shit out of it. If anything mine is too hard. It hasn't dulled much even after batoning oak, but it's near impossible to put a new edge on it. I had several people on here ask to buy it when I talked about it in a knife thread a few years back. Everyone offered more than I payed for it. Not interested in selling to a collector, I bought it to beat on it.

I've been really happy with this Mora Companion Spark, for the money it's a great performer.

View attachment 7537790

I wish they would put a 90 degree spine on more of their knives, I think your model does. There is a new eldris that has a proper scandi grind but they ditched the spine.

Fortunately is easy enough to throw sparks and/or sharpen the spine but why mora?

View attachment 7537731
This is my go to model for most tasks. I’m in the process of building a larger camp/bushcraft knife at the moment. I’ll post some pics when I finish it up. This is a great thread by the way!

I dig the relatively long handle and the grips. Whats the steel?

I wish they would put a 90 degree spine on more of their knives, I think your model does. There is a new eldris that has a proper scandi grind but they ditched the spine.

Fortunately is easy enough to throw sparks and/or sharpen the spine but why mora?

The Morakniv Garberg, Bushcraft, Bushcraft Pathfinder, Companion Spark, Companion HD, Kansbol, and Eldris have 90-degree spines for throwing sparks.

Reactions: Davo308
Ironically for the timing of this thread, I had just ordered a couple days ago the CPK "Field Knife 2". I don't have the blade in hand yet, but looking forward to it just based on CPK's reputation and the quality of their 3V heat treat. Still love the Bradford G4, but had to have a CPK 3v knife. :p

Specs

qTVu4l0.jpg
I'm really interested to hear how you like your CPK - I'm kicking around the idea of picking up a Busse to have a larger field knife, but took a look at these after your post and really liked what I saw...

I mentioned earlier that I liked the Tops BOB but felt the blade was just a bit thick. It's .188", approx. 4.5". Tops has come out with a slightly smaller version with a 3.5" blade @ .160" called the Fieldcraft. I love the specs.

I want the new Tops but I'm gettin old & have a bushel basket full of knives, I held off for now. Anybody got one?

Bush Knives for poors, lol.
These came yesterday, Ontario Robeson and Ontario Old Hickory Hunter.
Robeson came sharp and is all Made in USA😊
Old Hickory is USA, but sheath is commie😧. It was decently sharp, but had a dip in the blade that I had to work out; it’s sharp now. Made minor mods, may make more.
As y’all can tell, I’m not a “knife guy”, 😁
35704EF3-DB2C-48A1-8BBA-B425F046A601.jpeg

I say beat the shit out of all of them. Especially if you spent a ton on them. They deserve it.
Damn straight, the whole point to spending more on a blade is so that you CAN beat the shit out of it, without rolling the edge or breaking the blade. :ROFLMAO:

Little bit of a side topic... for those of you who have carried/used these knives on long treks, what do you carry and use for sharpening while away from home base?

Little bit of a side topic... for those of you who have carried/used these knives on long treks, what do you carry and use for sharpening while away from home base?
This depends on the knife steel and use, at least for me.

If I'm using a machete, I typically carry a file with me to keep a sharp edge and quickly work out a blade that has rolled or chipped. I then use a diamond stone or Arkansas stone that has only been used with water to bring the blade to "sharp enough".

On most field knives with steels that aren't super hard or tough, I just use a diamond stone or an Arkansas stone, and then strop it if I want to really touch up the edge. This is all done freehand, but that takes time and patience (and a budget knife) to become proficient.

On knives that are made of very hard/tough steels, I rarely pass them on a stone unless the edge has rolled or is damaged - I much prefer stropping them, and typically, that is all that they need to keep their sharpness.

I also carry different size/type knives to use for different tasks if I can afford the weight/bulk, but that depends on what I'm doing: if I am carrying one knife for everything for an extended period of time, then I know that I'm going to need to sharpen it in the field, which affects my choice of knife based on blade material, as sharpening some of the premium steels takes a lot of time and effort and is best performed back in the workshop.

@keenedge Well, I did it... I headed over to Bladeforums for CPK's Friday release... They apparently have a number of 90-degree FK2 for sale. You've been forewarned...

Reactions: keenedge
Dmt duosharp coarse fine. Strop on my pant leg.
I also generally carry a large (9"+blade) and a small fixed. And always a pocket knife of some kind.

Typically just a strop, but a small whetstone or ceramic rod will work.

One of the benefits of a carbon steel scandi grind is its easy to sharpen.

Freeman 451 and Caswell CK3. Both are CPM-3V
3A50999B-EA59-4BEC-B642-113D4FE4414B.jpeg
C17DF801-6EA5-41F5-9B6D-CBA98DC66101.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Leftie