• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bushing a firing pin......

dryfire

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2017
WV
Why not just machine a larger diameter firing pin to make the fit tolerances tighter as to not allow primer flow? I know I must be missing something obvious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The primer flow is the result of the hole being too large for the pressure, not a gap between the pin and hole (as you mention, tolerances........) The cure is to create a smaller hole for the pin that deals with pressure more effectively and then actually using a smaller diameter pin or machining the pin to work with the smaller hole.

Thanks for the explanation. If ya never ask, ya never know......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone, Hollands maybe peddles an oversize fp for Remmys. I fit one on my 223ai some years ago together with a stiffer spring. Probably not the best solution but it has worked for several thousand rounds.
Greg at Gretan has been bushing fp holes and fitting firing pins for years. One advantage here would be the fp hole would be centered up in the bolt. I'm sure Chad is more than capable of providing the same services.