• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bushing Die Question

jcclow

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2009
Hello all. I am trying to put together a reloading setup for .308. I am looking at getting a Redding Big Boss 2 and I have questions about the S style bushing dies. When measuring for the bushings, I should use a fired case to take the neck measurement, right?

Second, do you guy neck resize or full length. I've read the Sierra manual and they recommend full length, but not full length to unfired case size. Just slightly smaller than the chamber you fired the round from so that they chamber easily, but are still fire formed. The Lee manual recommends to only neck size. I'm concerned the rounds won't chamber easily though. Is that a valid concern? Incidentally, I'm shooting a Remington 700 .308 and initially, I want to do a lot of accurate target shooting, working my way up to some varmints.

I was just going to buy the deluxe set, then figured why waste the $ and now I'm considering the Competition Seating die and a full length Type S Bushing die. I would love some experienced input here. Thanks in advance

Re: Bushing Die Question

Take a loaded(unfired round) neck measurement to determine bushing size. Of course, you will subtract .002" to .003" or so depending on the tension you want.

The only reason to have a fired neck dimension is if you find your fired necks are ALOT larger than the sizing bushing you will use. Redding suggests you might want to size down in two steps if you are sizing the neck more than a certain amount(you can look this up on thier site)......but I have not problems sizing from .343 to .335 in 1 step(1 bushing).

As to sizing full or neck....
I do both, sort of.
Sometimes I use a type "S" full length die with bushing, and sometimes I bump the shoulder in one step and then size the neck later. I used to do neck only, but prefer the consistency of always pushing the shoulder back .001" to .002".

The FL "S" and the comp seater are a nice combination to start with! Personally, I would determine the neck bushing size and order that and one each .001" smaller and larger.
I currently have bushing for .308 that run from .334 to .339, though I normally use the .335 or .336.

Go to the Redding website. All the instructions are there. There is no need to FL size 308 in a bolt gun, until it needs a shoulder bump (maybe never). I only neck size
(Lee collet) for even my DPMS 308 16" TAC. Works just fine.

I didn't realize I posted this here. I was doing it from my Blackberry and it wasn't the most pleasant experience. Hopefully a mod can move it.

So where on the neck do I measure? I'm getting small differences as I move closer to the shoulder. The obvious answer is right at the mouth, but how close to the mouth?

I measure about midway up the neck.
Take a few readings on a few pieces of brass, loaded of course.
You don't want to order based on one piece that may not be an average for the lot.

As to if you should bump the shoulder or not; there are varying thoughts on this.... as demonstrated.