• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bushing Firing Pin Affect Headspace?

AMwood

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2018
Boise, Idaho
Does bushing a firing pin change a rifle’s headspace to the point of it becoming unsafe, excessive, detrimental to accuracy, etc.?

Should I wait to have the pin bushed until I’m ready to rebarrel?

From the research I’ve done, it seems that custom shops (LRI, Gretan) either mention the topic or don’t. The rifle in question, Bergara 6.5 CM, isn’t piercing primers but I figured it’s not a bad idea to have it bushed since I shoot mostly srp Lapua brass.

Apologies if this has been asked before. I searched a number of posts with no luck in finding a definitive answer.

TIA!

If done correctly I can’t see how it would effect headspace.

A final skim cut must be made to even the bolt face up. I cant see the headspace growing more than .001 which should not create any issues.

I just recently had my bergara bolt bushed, I measured the bolt face with a caliper depth rod (not the most accurate method) before and after and there seems to be no change.

I had LRI do 3 axmc bolts for me recently. They skimmed the face after installing the bushing. I measured with my depth mic and they all changed by .0005-.001” which is not enough to bother in my opinion. You’ll likely have to back out your fl sizing die the same amount so you’re not oversizing brass.

Reactions: Huskydriver
The bolt I just had bushed didn't get a skim cut across the full face but there is no detectable seam.