• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bushing loose primer pockets??

2aBaC̶a̶

Humans are amusing
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2019
I Da ho
With the cost and scarcity of brass on some cartridges has anyone explored bushing brass primer pockets when they get loose?

Ive read where guys did this to make large primer pockets into small.

VARIOUS STEPS.jpg

I wouldn't waste the time. I have seen videos of guys who peen the pocket with a ball bearing and a punch, not sure how long that lasts. I've been lucky enough to be able to find the brass I want/need but I'm starting to run low on primers.

Reactions: secondofangle2
I wouldn't waste the time. I have seen videos of guys who peen the pocket with a ball bearing and a punch, not sure how long that lasts. I've been lucky enough to be able to find the brass I want/need but I'm starting to run low on primers.
I've tried that and it doesn't always work.

saw a video with another guy that did something like that with berdan primer pockets turning them into normal pockets for large primers .

Just sayin, guys are paying $2 for once fired. Other guys are culling brass with loose primers.

You can see that it can be and has been done and would be tedious to say the least.

The plug must be made to a quality level that is achievable with a common lathe, and the Berdan anvil has to be turned into a flash hole.

It takes equipment, material, time, and skill, all of which are also worth something, so the trade-off would depend on how bad you want that brass. It really isn't free to do this compared to just paying for brass, unless you don't count your time.

Reactions: Taylorbok
You can see that it can be and has been done and would be tedious to say the least.

The plug must be made to a quality level that is achievable with a common lathe, and the Berdan anvil has to be turned into a flash hole.

It takes equipment, material, time, and skill, all of which are also worth something, so the trade-off would depend on how bad you want that brass. It really isn't free to do this compared to just paying for brass, unless you don't count your time.

Im not talking about converting berdan unless that brass is more available.

I'm talking about cases with loose primer pockets. One could drill it out and insert a bushing or in the case of large rifle primers insert a bushing that would convert to small rifle primer.

End mill with a pilot that would alight with the flash hole

various size id/od tubing is redily available in bulk and could be pre cut into pocket depth lengths and simply pressed in.

Like it's 100% possible but you'd be many hours and dollars ahead to throw that brass away go to work get paid and buy new brass, even if you had to get custom brass made by WTC or RCC

Reactions: camocorvette
I’ve done the punch and ball bearing thing on a lot of 50 cases
I’m on the 3rd loading since and they’re still doing good.

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
Like it's 100% possible but you'd be many hours and dollars ahead to throw that brass away go to work get paid and buy new brass, even if you had to get custom brass made by WTC or RCC
Yeah go buy some 6.5 PRC right now.

Reactions: Adam B
This may sound silly but how about using a light dab of blue loc-tite on the side of the primer pocket to hold the primer in place. Never tried it but Im sure someone has on here.

^ Blue loc-tite doesn't work like glue....

If you have time to build and install bushings then you also have time to search the web and find some brass.

Reactions: Taylorbok
^ Blue loc-tite doesn't work like glue....

If you have time to build and install bushings then you also have time to search the web and find some brass.
If you have time to fix your car you have time to throw it away and go buy a new one.

^^^ The fixing your car argument is the dumbest thing I've heard today-- so well done. But if you can buy a new car for a few dollars more than what you are going to pay to fix the old one then.....

But after rethinking your plan- it sounds like a killer idea. Please keep updating this thread with your progress-

Just a thought though.... if your primer pockets have seen enough use that they wont hold a primer anymore what are the odds that the rest of the piece of brass isn't getting worn out either??

Im not talking about converting berdan unless that brass is more available.

I'm talking about cases with loose primer pockets. One could drill it out and insert a bushing or in the case of large rifle primers insert a bushing that would convert to small rifle primer.

End mill with a pilot that would alight with the flash hole

various size id/od tubing is redily available in bulk and could be pre cut into pocket depth lengths and simply pressed in.
Gotcha. I am sympathetic to your plight.

I play on both ends of the pool, the shallow end where brass is easy, as well as the other end where it can be very difficult to find.

If it keeps you in the game till the supply comes around, then I get it.

I can't imagine being able to build and install bushings for under $5 each, unless you value your time at zero.

Gtfo with that bullshit.

Do you evaluate dollar value for your time 24hrs a day?

Blah blah blah, "my time is worth $100hr so if it takes me 4 hours of reloading it cost me $400 plus components so my actual per round cost is $10?!?!... i might as well spend $7 per round on new custom ammo"

Reactions: Rocketvapor
^^^ The fixing your car argument is the dumbest thing I've heard today-- so well done. But if you can buy a new car for a few dollars more than what you are going to pay to fix the old one then.....

But after rethinking your plan- it sounds like a killer idea. Please keep updating this thread with your progress-

Just a thought though.... if your primer pockets have seen enough use that they wont hold a primer anymore what are the odds that the rest of the piece of brass isn't getting worn out either??
That was the intent and makes us even.

Gtfo with that bullshit.

Do you evaluate dollar value for your time 24hrs a day?

Blah blah blah, "my time is worth $100hr so if it takes me 4 hours of reloading it cost me $400 plus components so my actual per round cost is $10?!?!... i might as well spend $7 per round on new custom ammo"
You've clearly already made up your mind. not sure why you posted. The fact is I personally could justify buying the brass for $5.40 each before I burnt a bunch of time that I don't have making and installing bushings.

You've clearly already made up your mind. not sure why you posted. The fact is I personally could justify buying the brass for $5.40 each before I burnt a bunch of time that I don't have making and installing bushings.
It was just a thought. Thinking outside the box a little. I have my mind made up with what exactly? I don't have plans to do anything. The post was to see if anyone on here has explored the idea. There are several old posts on other sites where people have done it with success for various reasons. That was when brass was cheap and redily available.

I spend a lot of time in my garage tinkering on lots of random things. I enjoy it. Loading is one of those things so I don't need to put a price on my time.

Not sure why you felt the need to post for the sole purpose of shitting on an idea because you find it time sensitively unreasonable.

Reactions: Foul Mike
If I had more time than money and not much else to do I would try bushing cases just to see if it's possible. Right now, I am short on time so it wouldn't be a project I would take on at this time. Either way, a original idea gets shit on no matter if it's good or bad. Kinda like people saying reloading primers is retarded but if you could reload them then this whole panic buying wouldn't matter much to you

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
I have wondered about something like a short die that shrinks only the casehead down a bit, kind of like the tools MEC puts out for reloading shotgun shells.
Is that even possible?

I have wondered about something like a short die that shrinks only the casehead down a bit, kind of like the tools MEC puts out for reloading shotgun shells.
Is that even possible?
I was thinking something similar like a swager. If you could imagine quartered shell holders that fit around the case head and pushing that through a slightly tapered die.

Reactions: Foul Mike
My concern would be that by the time that case head won't hold a primer anymore, case head separation may be just around the corner.

I would rather try to find some once fired brass at a reasonable price than try and rescue something that could create another serious issue.

^^^ This.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Sirhr

BTW, for reloading shells for my 25mm Hotchkiss Antitank gun, I bush casings to take .50 primers. No brainer. Since 1930's French primers are not available and each casing is $50. Also have to resize with a 20 ton press and dies the size of a Fosters can. But for small arms, not so much. But don't let us stop you, OP. If you want/need to, go for it! Might come a day when we are bushing .223 rounds to get enough protein to last the week. Hard rain's a-coming and all...

Reactions: RegionRat
I have more than a few rounds of Horrnady 6.5 Creeds around that the pockets got loose way before the rest of the brass could come to case head separation if their brass is worth anything at all., and I know it is as I have some with quite a few re-loads on them, pockets holding.
I think a short swaging die is in order to help this situation out. Just shinks the head a bit, not much. and need lube.