• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bushing question

tate1976

Nvshooter
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Reno nv
so.. im super new to reloading and need to dbl check some stuff.

1st with new adg/gunwerks brass i don't need to change the neck tension with a first loading..
once i get a bullet seated measure then ordered the correct bushing size for my redding type s.

2nd.. once fired hornady brass need to make a dummy round then measure the neck to order the correct bushing..

correct. take loaded round neck diameter and subtract .002 for your largest bushing. this should give you an id. neck diameter .001 less than bullet diameter after brass spring back. would be good to also buy a couple smaller bushings as spring back will change with firings and different brass and some loads may be more accurate with more nk tension.

while we are on it if it will work for your hand loading volume. the imperial sizing die wax and graphite neck lube kit are good items to have

Reactions: Snuby642
correct. take loaded round neck diameter and subtract .002 for your largest bushing. this should give you an id. neck diameter .001 less than bullet diameter after brass spring back. would be good to also buy a couple smaller bushings as spring back will change with firings and different brass and some loads may be more accurate with more nk tension.
awesome.. thanks for the reply back.. been over thinking this whole thing but still needed to make sure

I would run a expander mandrel in any brand new brass. Set your tension and smooth out necks that might or might not be shitty from packaging. Given I’ve never had Gunwerks brass, but lapua is hella tight when you buy it like 5-7 thou tension

Also for your modified case you want to bump the shoulder back but leave the neck alone before you make it