• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bushing Size

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
Gents,

My loaded rounds are measuring 0.338, I'm currently using a 0.334 redding titanium bushing. I've read that 0.002 neck tension is optimal, should I switch to a 0.336 bushing.

This is for a rifle that is currently being built so I can't compare any accuracy difference by changing bushing sizes just yet.

Re: Bushing Size

Rath,

Are you getting a ring on your bullets by seating them this tight?

What cases are you using?

Four thou is too much for me!

I need to re-expand by .0015-.002.

Hope this helps, or you can to.

TC

No ring on the bullets, Lapua Brass is what I'm using, I think I'll do as victor suggested and see how the rifle slings them as is before experimenting.
Thanks

A) The amouont of neck tension is application dependent--generally for tactical applications where the cartrige has to put up with a little (but not a lot of) abuse, 0.002 is a fine amount of neck tension.

B) You could turn the necks to allow the 0.334 bushing to perfectly size these cases, as an alternative to a 0.336 bushing.

Guys, isn't the general rule:

2xneck thickness+bullet diameter and then subtract .002 from that?

Example: .308 Fed Brass .015 neck thickness=2x.015+.308=.338 Bushing=.336

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2xneck thickness+bullet diameter and then subtract .002 from that?</div></div>

I measure a loaded round @ the neck and subtract .002".

Bushing size is also dependant upon the difference between the as-fired neck size, and the amount you want to reduce it. For example, going from a .346" fired neck and using a .338" bushing yields you a .337" neck.

Don

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USSR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushing size is also dependant upon the difference between the as-fired neck size, and the amount you want to reduce it. For example, going from a .346" fired neck and using a .338" bushing yields you a .337" neck.

Don </div></div>

Why is that? I'm about to order an S-Type so anything you can tell me would be helpful.

If you size the neck too much in a single step, the size of the first step causes the brass to be oversized. ).005-0.006 is as much as you should size in a single step with a bushing.

By how much Mitch? Don seemed to indicate a difference of .001.

And ya this is a factory chamber. Fired necks are measuring around .343. That's with Hornady brass. When this lot is done I'm switching to Lapua
laugh.gif