• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bushing Size

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
For the guys running the 115 DTAC's through lapua brass in .243 Win. What bushings size are you using

Re: Bushing Size

If you have a loaded 243 round in those Lapua cases; measure the exterior neck diameter in 3 places wth your dial caliper and average.

Depending on the kind of use for this ammo, choose from the following list:
a) benchrest ammo: 0.001
b) tactical ammo in a bolt gun: 0.002
c) semiauto action: 0.003

Subtract this number from the neck diameter and order that bushing.

Second: measure the obturated neck diameter of a fired case. If this number is more than 0.006 bigger than the bushing determined above, buy a second bushing 1/2 way between the obturated neck diameter and the first bushing size (round down).

Thanks Mitch,

I'm aware of how to determine Bushing size. However I normally order a couple of different sizes so that I can experiment with neck tension.

I was hoping to get info on what measurements others are getting. I've ordered brass and projectiles I would like to place an order with sinclair now since it usually takes 2-3 weeks for them to ship to australia.

Cheers,
Rath

The Wilson Bushings are spot on with their advertised sizes. The Redding Bushings run small. The .243 Lapua Brass I've seen in the past few weeks have been running .272"/.273" loaded. I'd use a .270" Wilson or a .271" Redding for unturned necks. For turned necks, I'd subtract from the loaded diameter .002" for Wilson or .001" for the Redding. FWIW, I've always used Wilson Bushings with no problems in BR and Tactical/Hunting Rifles

Cheers for the info William, exactly what I was after.
Rath