• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bushmaster 16" Upper: Bolt & round issues

nvahalik

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2009
United States
Hey guys, I know I'm new here... a buddy of mine suggested I throw out this problem here: I'll try to be as verbose as possible. I'm new to most of this and trying to learn quickly. Here is my problem:

I just bought a brand new Bushmaster 16" upper. The lower is a Sabre Defense receiver with a Rocker River LPK and Tactical CAR Buttstock. Everything fits together great.

I can chamber a round manually, and it tends to load just fine. Most of the time, after firing, the round is extracted properly, but the next round would not be chambered. Each round had to be manually chambered by pulling back on the charging handle.

We ended up changing out the buffer tube and spring with another AR that they were testing. After changing it out, the same thing this guy was experiencing started happening. First round chambered manually, extracted properly, second round loaded properly extracted and the 3rd round not chambering properly, required the mag to be dropped and bolt pulled back.

Sometimes after firing a round, the cartridge would not extract. The bolt was stuck so hard, it could only be pulled back while stamping the butt of the gun on the table.

While we were at the range, we oiled this thing and cleaned it several times, but it never really seemed to make a difference. Here are some detailed pictures of the upper after today's firing:

I know it's sacrilege, but I haven't cleaned it yet!

IMG_4863.jpg

This is <span style="font-weight: bold">weird</span>. The buffer tube almost looked damaged. It actually was only hitting a half of it at a time, It was rotated after replacing it with the other one. It then got the other half.

IMG_4866.jpg

Bottom of the bolt carrier.

IMG_4873.jpg

Bolt.

Gas tube:
IMG_4874.jpg

IMG_4875.jpg

IMG_4878.jpg

IMG_4881.jpg

Hopefully these pictures are helpful. Any ideas? I'm soaking the bolt in ATF per the post above, but is there anything else I should look for?
Could this just be a new buffer spring that needs to get broken in?
How can I tell if there is enough gas coming through to force the BCA back enough to chamber the round?

Re: Bushmaster 16" Upper: Bolt & round issues

two things immediately come to mind.

first, the reason your bolt carrier is "dragging" is maybe the lower parts kit is installed incorrectly. If the either the hammer or trigger spring is installed incorrectly, it can cause the hammer to not fully depress while the bolt carrier is moving either back or forth.

second, you probably have a major gas leak at the carrier key. gas keys are rarely, if ever machined with a flat base surface. I would remove the one you have, and hone/file it's base surface (where it sits on the carrier) place it on either a flat file or course stone. after a few draw strokes, you will see the high spots. keep filing/honing until the high spots are gone. reattach, torque, restake. you now have an ugly, restaked carrier key so order a new one and hone/file it too when it comes in.

good luck