• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

bushmaster what upper to go with

shedhorn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2009
Montana
i have a bushmaster 450 and love it. now i want to get a 223 upper to shoot varmints with. i am thinking about the stainless steel varminter 24" polished 416 stainless steel with 1x9 twist. they also sell 24" 4150 chromoly steel barrel with the same twist 1x9. or wlould the predator with the 20" 4150 chromoly steel barrel with 1x8 twist. what are the pros and cons of the barrels (stainless and chromoly) and twist rates? what are the pro and cons with the barrel lengths? iam looking for the most allaround set up.

Re: bushmaster what upper to go with

There is a lot of personal preference involved in selecting barrel lengths and twist rates. The kind of "varmints" you're shooting,what bullets you're using and the way you hunt plays a part in it.

The big deal for me was weight. My cousins 24" RRA varminter weighs 13 pounds, and I have no desire to lug that much weight around while I'm coyote hunting.

In the end, I settled on a Bushmaster with a 24" fluted, free-floated barrel. Thing is a joy to carry and 300 yard coyotes aren't a problem.