• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell 1600 ARC Fusion Binos 12x50mm: Pics/Specs

BobD

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2012
Bushnell 1600 ARC Fusion Range Finding Binoculars

So, I was happily surprised today to discover that my package was going to be delivered early. Eager for its arrival, I met my local UPS driver en route before work so I could get my hands on them.

Incidentally, it had snowed the night before and was still coming down as I got my hands on and opened the package. So, I was able to see briefly how it faired in those conditions (this is where I was able to notice the blue tint). The white background seems to make the tint more apparent. I did not find it bothersome, distracting or detrimental to its viewing quality. With only a brief amount of time with them, I brought them with me to work, to look at in between breaks and show a few coworkers.

**One word from me at the moment... "Exceptional"

From two coworkers that hunt often... "Best I've ever seen" (just the glass)
I know they have not had the opportunity to look at some of the finer offerings like Swarovski, Zeiss etc... And, they are certainly no critics, but I assure you they will astound the average Joe. They have exceeded my expectations so far. Again, I've had them for less than a day but I was expecting run of the mill Bushnell glass. For the money, I don't know how anyone could be disappointed. The stand alone rangefinder in this series is over $400. I assumed that for only a couple hundred more dollars you would have to associate at least$150 of the extra cost to the added (combined) convenience leaving little money to dedicate to the glass, prisms and rest of binocular construction. I could not have been more wrong.

I'd like to say that I'm no binocular connoisseur. I'm sure their are plenty of models that trump this in image quality but either way I am pleasantly surprised.
I'm sure someone who has experience with a large variety of models can chime in and put them in their respective rank. I'm fairly certain that some purists would be offended by the tint but I can not think of any situation where it would negatively impact my personal needs for either target acquisition or ranging.

I was under the impression that this was going to be merely a helpful 2 in 1 product. After viewing a good handful of Leupold, Nikon etc... I firmly believe that not only is the combo a convenience but the idea takes range finding to a new level in my eyes. Twice the magnification, with both eyes...It's a completely different experience. The downside to this type of product is the inherent size and weight which may limit this combination for certain situations.

Product Specs:
Magnification: 12x
Objectives lens size: 50mm
Prism Type: Roof/Bak 4/PC-3 Phase Correction/XTR Coated
Lens Coatings: XTR Fully Multi Coated, RainGuard HD
Length:
Weight: 32.7oz (927g)
Battery: 1) 3V CR123
MFG Claim Range Capability: 10-1,600 yards
Minimum Capabilities (users have reported further* see posts below)
*Deer- 500 yards
*Trees- 1,000 yards
*Reflective- 1,600 yards
Field of View at 1,000 yards/meters: 252ft/77m
Minimum Focus Distance: 10.5ft/3.2m
Focus Placement: Front center dial, eye twist diopter for display focus
Eye Relief: 16mm
Exit Pupil Size: 4.2mm
Accuracy: +/- 1 yard

Other Noted Features:
-Waterproof
-Fogproof
-Posi threaded aluminum battery compartment
-(NOT) Tripod mountable
-Bushnell's ARC (Angle Range Compensation) from -90° to +90°
-VDT™ (Vivid Display Technology) - enhances display readout
-Selective Targeting System - Automatic SCAN, BullsEye & Brush modes
-Selective Ballistic Calculations
-Bow Mode - provides line-of-sight, angle, and true horizontal
distance from 10-99 yards/meters
-Rifle Mode - provides line-of-sight, angle, and bullet drop/holdover
up to 199 inches
-VSI™ (Variable Sight-In) - allows sight-in distance options of 100, 150, 200, or 300 yards sight-in distance when in RIFLE mode

Trajectory Compensation

Bushnell has incorporated a simplified ballistic program that feeds off from the Sierra Bullets’ ballistic program. The implementation of Angle Range Compensation (ARC) allows the user to select from a list of ammunitions which are then assigned to a letter in the Binoculars menu. Once this is established, there is an option of displaying holdover information based upon the loads ballistic curve (which are grouped to some averages). There is additional information for muzzle loaders (2 dedicated ballistic selections) and a separate menu option for bow use.

Holdover information can be displayed in MOA, inches and centimeters. Line of sight, or the angle which the target is above or below the shooter is also accounted for. Also, cycling through the menu is easy. If you are with a group and are aware of the different ballistics, you could obtain information for multiple rifles. They are of course averaged, but when assigned only a letter it's a quick process. This information is optional and will not be displayed on the screen unless you select it, once done it will appear each time you range.

Bushnell claims that the heart of their speed in range finding display and calculations comes from a combination of an advanced digital microprocessor and an 'Application-Specific Integrated Circuit' (ASIC).

There are ballistic charts for the following ammunition manufacturers and include a wide selection of munitions, velocity, shape, coatings, charges and other variables that effect its category. If you hand load or use a different manufacturer than below you can choose which most closely matches what you are using. It's certainly not the most advanced program but it's a nice touch added to the product.

List of manufactures (once clicked on a list is created of ballistic information for the different loads to choose from with the associated letter for the program):

Barnes, Berger, Black Hills, Combined Tech, Federal, Hornady, Lapua Lazzeroni, Norma, Nosler, Pmc Powerbelt, Remington,
RWS-Dynamite Nobel, Sierra, Speer, Swift, Weatherby, Winchester

*Note* this program works more than just by caliber information, it does take other variables into account-
This is a portion of the most noteworthy calibers from their list:
.17 HMR, 204 Ruger, 218 Bee, 22 Hornet
5.6x50,52,57 R (magnum)
220 Swift, 22-250, 222 Remington, 224 Weatherby
5.56, 223,WSSM
225 Win, 240 Weatherby, 243, 25-06, 257 Weatherby
264 Win Mag, 270 Win, WSSM, WSM
280 Rem, 284 Win
6.5-284, 6.5-55 Swede
7mm Win Mag, STW, -08, WSM, Mauser
30-30 Win, Krag
7.62x39
30-06 Sprg, 30-378 Weatherby
308 Win
300 H&H, 300 Win Mag, 303 British
8mm Mouser, 325 WSM
338 Win, Win Mag, Lapua, -06, -378
340 Weatherby, 356 Win, 358 Win
375 Win, H&H Magnum, Weatherby, 378 Weatherby
416 Weatherby, 460 Weatherby

Whole Package- Binos and strap come wrapped individually. Warrantee and Registration card, instruction manual, 1 Cr123 lithium battery, detachable eye cup protectors, (detachable option)flip down objective lens covers, magnetic closing carry case with loop on back, lens cloth
f7d3a4ce248d40740542f3138928ae5e.jpg

There are two buttons to operate the range finding components conveniently located closely on each side of the unit for easy and seamless operation for any hand size
9e1b848d7b71d6c25eeeee2ec3f5f8e6.jpg

This front posi-trac tube is aluminum and houses the single battery for display
cc6b8d267308e645bb0932bcdf3b7cbf.jpg

I will follow up when I get some more time using the rangefinder and anything else pertinent I discover. Hopefully they will continue to impress-

Re: Bushnell 1600 ARC Fusion Binos 12x50mm: Wednesday

you will like them! mine have a blue tint but who cares, they work extremely well.

Was ranging pine trees at 1830yds 10 days ago. I'd really like to know how far I could peg a building or something with a more reflective signature.
As for the blue tint...it's not as bad as people make it out to be, and after 2-3 times in the field, you'll not even notice it.

As for the display being dim? That's bogus. There are 4 different brightness settings and I've NEVER had a situation where one of those four didn't work.
The very brightest setting works great when it's a bright snow covered day. The very dimmest works great when the sun is starting to set.
Other than that, I usually keep it on 3.

I agree. The blue tint isn't noticeable outdoors, & the only time I've had any difficulty reading the display was on a bright tan building in direct sun. They will not range to 2000yd but they have consistently ranged trees @ 1860+ yd. I think the display doesn't have the ability to put a 2 in the thousands digit otherwise I think they would range farther.

That's all great to hear guys. That's pretty incredible that you were able to get them to work that far out. Have any of you felt it has been easier with the additional magnification to range smaller objects at distance? I figured the glass wouldn't be on par with some of the competition but suitable and a significant combination on 12x to pick up things I may have not otherwise seen.

Anything else to note or strange quirks to be aware of for better use?

Certainly encouraging to hear that you all seem very pleased.
Thank you, it settled some of my reservations...

I am really happy with mine.

At a resent comp, I was next to a Terrapin and hit every target within a yard of his.

I have ranged river banks well over 1800 yards.

I have ranged steel plates out to 1150.

The blue tint is not a big deal and, in fact, increases shadow definition substantially over yellowish, redish or neutral tint optics.

The display has been a bit dim a couple of times, but not bad.

I picked up a cow with my 12X50 at almost 1600.There is a youtube of a cow at 1600+ that I saw a while back. For the price I am VERY pleased. Yes the 12x is a help on smaller distant targets and I find them easy to hold steady.

In my experience, Fusion is not as good or fast or reliably-ranging as Terrapin (Terrapin ranged man-size objects at 1100m, wooded bi-level buildings at 2400m, got some 4Km ranging on larger objects) - but still pretty darn good. Despite having (and using
smile.gif
) Terrapin I'm not selling my Fusion - if that tells you anything.
wink.gif

I really enjoy mine for the price. I would have a hard time picking up a zeiss prf over the bushnell after using both( I find it super handy having the range binos). I have a hard time reading the range with the bushnell on open snow prairies myself ( the zeiss are better for my eyes there). The glass is ok for the price range. The bushnells have been very reliable, especially in cold temps and durability. I do wish they would put better glass in them, imo.

DSCN0467.jpg

DSCN0241.jpg

Good pict, what's the rifle, is that this year? You got lots of snow

That's a great looking collection, the perfect combo. Nice pictures! Mine came in this morning. I'm very impressed so far. Can't wait to get some more time behind them.

Re: Bushnell 1600 ARC Fusion Binos 12x50mm: Pics/Specs

last spring ( Rock 8 twist 243 105 amax)

Couple weeks ago

AC0B2487-D9C9-400F-A510-FE95E57D26A8-30098-00001076715FFB7A.jpg

Very nice! How often do you pull out the Zeiss over those? That's two great shots, and both ranged from the Fusion. Are those the 42 or 50 mm?

Trajectory Compensation (I will edit and incorporate this information into the original post when get the chance. I will also compress all the ammo information, I know its spread out)
Bushnell has incorporated a simplified ballistic program that feeds off from the Sierra Bullets’ ballistic program. The implementation of Angle Range Compensation (ARC) allows the user to select from a list of ammunitions which are then assigned to a letter in the Binoculars menu. Once this is established, there is an option of displaying holdover information based upon the loads ballistic curve (which are grouped to some averages). There is additional information for muzzle loaders (2 dedicated ballistic selections) and a separate menu option for bow use.

Holdover information can be displayed in MOA, inches and centimeters. Line of sight, or the angle which the target is above or below the shooter is also accounted for. Also, cycling through the menu is easy. If you are with a group and are aware of the different ballistics, you could obtain information for multiple rifles. They are of course averaged, but when assigned only a letter it's a quick process as is the ranging feature itself. This information is optional and will not be displayed on the screen unless you select it, once done it will appear each time you range.

Bushnell claims that the heart of their speed in range finding display and calculations comes from a combination of an advanced digital microprocessor and an 'Application-Specific Integrated Circuit' (ASIC).

There are ballistic charts for the following ammunition manufacturers and include a wide selection of munitions, velocity, shape, coatings, charges and other variables that effect its category. If you hand load or use a different manufacturer than below you can choose which most closely matches what you are using. It's certainly not the most advanced program but it's a nice touch added to the product.

List of manufactures (once clicked on a list is created of ballistic information for the different loads to choose from with the associated letter for the program):

Barnes, Berger, Black Hills, Combined Tech, Federal, Hornady, Lapua Lazzeroni, Norma, Nosler, Pmc Powerbelt, Remington,
RWS-Dynamite Nobel, Sierra, Speer, Swift, Weatherby, Winchester

*Note* this program works more than just by caliber information, it does take other variables into account-
This is a portion of the most noteworthy calibers from their list:
.17 HMR
204 Ruger
218 Bee
22 Hornet
5.6x50,52,57 R (magnum)
220 Swift
22-250
222 Remington
224 Weatherby
5.56,223,WSSM
225 Win
240 Weatherby
25-06
257 Weatherby
264 Win Mag
270 Win, WSSM, WSM
280 Rem
284 Win
6.5-284
6.5-55 Swede
7mm Win Mag, STW, -08, WSM, Mauser
30-30 Win, Krag
7.62x39
30-06 Sprg
30-378 Weatherby
308 Win
300 H&H
300 Win Mag
303 British
8mm Mouser
325 WSM
338 Win, Win Mag, Lapua, -06, -378
340 Weatherby
356 Win
358 Win
375 Win, H&H Magnum, Weatherby
378 Weatherby
416 Weatherby
460 Weatherby

DSCN0245.jpg

They are my truck binos. If its more of big game hunt or a predator hunt opposed to culling Ill take the zeiss, other than that I use the bushnell more.

The bushnell will out range the prf easy, and honestly is probally a little better than the zeiss binos( I do like the range on release on the zeiss better though). The zeiss to my eyes, have way better optics though( I think bushnell could of done a little better than they did, have looked threw other models in the price range and have seen some better glass). I kind of think of the bushnell as a rangefinder with a bino added on, and the zeiss are binos with the range added on. For the whole package of the bushnell and the price, I dont think you can beat them.

If bushnell does a gen 2 range binos. Better glass, range on release, slightly larger button on right side ( when my hands gets numb sometimes have hard time feeling the button). Thicker rubber on the lense cover hinges, one more level of brightness in reticle. Only upgrades I could think of with my time using them. Maybe a mil or moa reticle inside.

I agree the Zeiss have much better optics and the laser seams better but for the price and if your not after great optics the Bushnell is a great way to go.

Mike @ CST

Here is a video we did.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jsKAM8fVeng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mike @ CST

Mike,

Good video, I found that somewhere in my initial search and watched prior to purchasing. It's nice that Bushnell was able to keep the weight of the 12x50mm so close to the 10x42mm. The 2mm shorter eye relief on this model is certainly not generous, but I have not found it too bothersome. Additionally, I'm not sure how Bushnell determines the exit pupil size (that they display) but they have listed it as the same for both the 10 and 12x. Did you notice any other differences when looking through the two models other than the FOV and eye relief?

On a separate note, (I will correct this above) there is no option to mounted either of these models to a tripod. Bushnell usually incorporates a threaded adapter where the battery compartment is housed. On their site they have both models listed as having that option, I spoke with tech support who claimed it was a mistake on their site.

Ridge,

I believe that Bushnell has the ability to make a higher end offering. From my understanding, their elite line has the addition of ED and Flouride glass and utilizes porro prisms instead if the Bak4. I still have yet to spend a good amount of time behind the ones I just received. However, I can see how their could be room for improvement.
My first glance behind the fusions was quite favorable as my expectations were Very little (for the glass). They have a level of definition and contrast that I was not expecting. I guess time with them will tell if I reach a point where the glass feels underwhelming. I have yet to see what they can resolve at distance, I'm sure that will be more indicative to what they are capable of. In the few hundred yards I've been able to use them, they have provided enough contrast and detail for my uses.
I think you're on to something with the Gen2 Idea. Even if Bushnell used their best glass and prisms they would still come in near half the price of the major competition. I also like the idea of the release that Zeiss uses. I haven't had the chance to use that system but it sounds easier to scan and I would assume moves the reticle less than pressing when on target. * The object lens covers open almost every time I've taken it out of its bag, the rubber rings that hold them on slide as well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my experience, Fusion is not as good or fast or reliably-ranging as Terrapin (Terrapin ranged man-size objects at 1100m, wooded bi-level buildings at 2400m, got some 4Km ranging on larger objects) - but still pretty darn good. Despite having (and using
smile.gif
) Terrapin I'm not selling my Fusion - if that tells you anything.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Agreed - The Vectronix is the only thing I've seen reliebly range in a few specific stages - Places where targets are situated as to confuse a wide beam rangefinder, which most are.

It's not a terrapin, but it's pretty good; in bright sunlight, The Fusions display is very hard to read.