• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite Tactical, Good Choice?

thehjot

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
East Missouri
First off, I know you guys hate us newbies always asking you the same questions about which scope to buy. However, I've narrowed my choices down a little past the whole, "what's the best scope for under $xxx.xx" usual story, so I'll hope you'll bear with me here...
Having said that, I greatly appreciate you helping to keep me from making a poor decision. Or maybe encouraging me to make a good one.

I'm thinking of buying a Bushnell Elite Tactical in 6-24x50 with the G2 DMR reticle. It has a 34mm tube, 0.1 MIL locking turrets, a side focus, and is first focal plane.

My desires in a scope were:
-Objective at least 50mm
-Erector tube at least 30mm
-FFP
-Either MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA
-Fine reticle (more hashes than just 1MIL/MOA)
-Reputable manufacturer
-Up to $1500

What I plan on using it for:
-Mounting it on a .308 caliber, factory, Rem 700 SPS in a McRee Precision chassis
-Putting it on a 20MOA scope base
-Longest distance about 1,000 yards
-Shortest distance about 100 yards
-Transitioning from smallbore to 'precision rifle' matches (movers, 1,000yards, UKD, ect)
-I don't hunt and I'm not a LE or AD sniper/sharpshooter/marksman

So they big question is, before I go blow $1200 on the bushy, what am I forgetting? Should I be looking for a NightForce or an ISO instead? I know manufacturers of that level don't offer many options that are within my budget constraints, but would one of their less expensive scopes be better than the bushy?
For example, am I better off getting an ISO that's not what I'm looking for (i.e. has a 44mm objective lens) rather than just buying the bushy?

Again, I appreciate the help and please don't be afraid to dumb-slap me (electronically, of course) if I missed a thread that already covers this, somewhere.

Re: Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite Tactical, Good Choice?

Hi,

Welcome aboard. I lived quite awhile on and off in Niceville and Mary Esther and that area is the best of Florida

First, if you are going to pay $1200 for that scope you need to fire your optics vendor!

Yes, this is a fine choice for what you are doing. Another comparable option is the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 mil/mil

You will be pleased with either scope

Scott

Scott,
Thanks for the heads-up on my vendor's pricing! I couldn't find those cheaper online, so I thought he was being fair...

And I'll look into the Vortex Viper. Should I have any concerns about buying a used one? I don't know anything about their warranty, or how well they stand behind it.

I was thinking I might sit around and wait for a NF in my budget, but I've been reading on here that IOR has better glass quality.
Does Valada IOR have better glass quality (resolution, clarity, ect) than NightForce? If so, what makes NightForce better?

I'm not familiar with ISO.

I never had much issue with Bushnell over time on quality. Most notable were the lack of elevation on varmint scopes I used in the past. The "elite" series of glass was good stuff way back to the B&L. I have one mil-dot FFP and no complaints.
With hold, "fine" or 1/2mil line marks are not always that great IMO. I have one brain key in hold; hash length or dot. Who knows in what quadrant the POI will fall or how far from center so the reticle symmetry comes into play with mental reference.
Into the “tree” for that reticle everything is the same at .5mil and the lower elevation quadrants are empty of dominate 1mil dots/marks. Added reticle features are often more taste and experience. Good or bad... keep it simple...or complicated for ignoring the main stadia.

I think the OP is confusing the HDMR and the regular 30mm 6-24X50. He has several features of each mixed into one scope. The 3.5-21X50 HDMR for 1200ish is a good deal. So is the 1kish price tag on the 6-24X50 Elite tactical. The new reticle your talking about looks great. I will have an HDMR with that reticle very soon ( hint hint Scott
wink.gif
) Good luck with your choice

Here are the differences:

Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite Tactical Rifle Scope
•Matte Finish
•30mm Tube
•G2DMR Reticle
•First Focal Plane
•Rainguard HD
•Side Focus
•Ultra-Wide Band Coating
•Argon Purging Process
Stock # - BUSET6245FG
G2DMR Reticle

Stock # - BUSET6245FGJ
Illuminated BRT Reticle

Bushnell 3.5-21x50 Elite Tactical Rifle Scope AKA HDMR
•Matte Finish
•34mm Tube
•Ultra Wide Band Coating
•Fully Multi-Coated Optics
•RainGuard® HD
•0.1MIL Locking-Target Turrets
•Side Focus
•4” Sunshade Included
Stock # - BUSET35215G
First Focal Plane G2 DMR Reticle

Stock # - BUSET35215M
First Focal Plane Mil Dot Reticle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thehjot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got those specs from that 'opticstalk' forum.

http://www.opticstalk.com/new-bushnell-elite-tactical-scopes-reticles_topic31341.html

It's supposed to be something that Bushnell would release after the shot show. </div></div>

The 34mm HDMRs are out now. The 30mm 6-24X50 is also out now, but not with the 2 reticles mentioned above that I know of. I guess that should be anytime.

Thanks for clearing up the difference for me, BrettSass.
My 'dealer' finally got back to me with a firm price today. He's actually a friend of a friend, but he said he could get me a great deal on the scope. Supposed to be dealer pricing, but I think not after what Scott at LibertyOptics said above.

This friend of a friend said that all his distributors are out of stock on it right now, but that he could order it for me for around $1,400. If I'm going to spend that much on a scope, wouldn't I be better off just waiting and buying a good IOR or NF?

Yes, it's a good choice.

Make sure you use an inclined mount.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NCUZmH8n8g0&hd=1"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NCUZmH8n8g0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hGBYzbnSYGE&hd=1"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hGBYzbnSYGE&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

The 2012 Elite Tactical catalog shows the 6-24x with the Mildot, G2DMR, Ill. Mildot and Ill. Mil-BTR. When they will be availble in other than the standard illuminated mildot, I do not know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, it's a good choice.

Make sure you use an inclined mount.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NCUZmH8n8g0&hd=1"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NCUZmH8n8g0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hGBYzbnSYGE&hd=1"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hGBYzbnSYGE&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

The 2012 Elite Tactical catalog shows the 6-24x with the Mildot, G2DMR, Ill. Mildot and Ill. Mil-BTR. When they will be availble in other than the standard illuminated mildot, I do not know. </div></div>

how much of an inclined mount would you suggest for a 30-06 for over a 1000 yards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thehjot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off, I know you guys hate us newbies always asking you the same questions about which scope to buy. However, I've narrowed my choices down a little past the whole, "what's the best scope for under $xxx.xx" usual story, so I'll hope you'll bear with me here...
Having said that, I greatly appreciate you helping to keep me from making a poor decision. Or maybe encouraging me to make a good one.

I'm thinking of buying a Bushnell Elite Tactical in 6-24x50 with the G2 DMR reticle. It has a 34mm tube, 0.1 MIL locking turrets, a side focus, and is first focal plane.

My desires in a scope were:
-Objective at least 50mm
-Erector tube at least 30mm
-FFP
-Either MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA
-Fine reticle (more hashes than just 1MIL/MOA)
-Reputable manufacturer
-Up to $1500

What I plan on using it for:
-Mounting it on a .308 caliber, factory, Rem 700 SPS in a McRee Precision chassis
-Putting it on a 20MOA scope base
-Longest distance about 1,000 yards
-Shortest distance about 100 yards
-Transitioning from smallbore to 'precision rifle' matches (movers, 1,000yards, UKD, ect)
-I don't hunt and I'm not a LE or AD sniper/sharpshooter/marksman

So they big question is, before I go blow $1200 on the bushy, what am I forgetting? Should I be looking for a NightForce or an ISO instead? I know manufacturers of that level don't offer many options that are within my budget constraints, but would one of their less expensive scopes be better than the bushy?
For example, am I better off getting an ISO that's not what I'm looking for (i.e. has a 44mm objective lens) rather than just buying the bushy?

Again, I appreciate the help and please don't be afraid to dumb-slap me (electronically, of course) if I missed a thread that already covers this, somewhere. </div></div>

What ever scope you buy it is not going to make you a better shooter, unless you learn to shoot it!
All most any rifle & scope is no better than the shooter, more or less money dose make the shot.

I like bushnell scopes, have them all FFP & SFP 4.5 - 30 x 50 is the only one I can see the hits with past 100yds. out to 300 yds. with out a spoter, makes the learning time faster. Unless you are a gifted man it dose not come all in one package.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _shawn_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
how much of an inclined mount would you suggest for a 30-06 for over a 1000 yards? </div></div>

I would go at least 20.

Don't forget that as you add MOA to your base, you raise the height of the ocular (lens that you look through)
20 MOA is about as high as I want to go before I have to start raising my cheekweld.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unreconstructed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget that as you add MOA to your base, you raise the height of the ocular (lens that you look through)
20 MOA is about as high as I want to go before I have to start raising my cheekweld. </div></div>

That will all depend on the base manufacturer. If it is a problem or not will also depend on the rig it's going on. Even a 40 MOA base is not a problem if you have an adjustable comb.

I have a 4200 tactical (6X24X50) mounted on a Savage 10 fcp McMillan and the combination works great. I did not spend that much on the scope. Very bright scope. Good Luck!

for some reason i was thinking a 20 moa base would mean the front of the mount was higher then the rear which would actually put the ocular closer to the comb. so am i to understand a 20 moa base is just a taller mount and not angled up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _shawn_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for some reason i was thinking a 20 moa base would mean the front of the mount was higher then the rear which would actually put the ocular closer to the comb. so am i to understand a 20 moa base is just a taller mount and not angled up? </div></div>

No.

A 20 MOA inclined base would have the rear of the base higher than the front. You are angling the barrel "up" not the scope.

I ended up going with an IOR in the end. It should arrive later this week.
Thanks everybody for helping out the local newb. Feel free to count that as community service towards good Karma.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _shawn_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for some reason i was thinking a 20 moa base would mean the front of the mount was higher then the rear which would actually put the ocular closer to the comb. so am i to understand a 20 moa base is just a taller mount and not angled up? </div></div>

No.

A 20 MOA inclined base would have the rear of the base higher than the front. You are angling the barrel "up" not the scope. </div></div>

+1

ok i guess i was thinking backwards on that....thanks for putting me straight.