• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell 6500 optics

Re: Bushnell 6500 optics

What do you see people buying?

I love my 4200 FFP Elete 3x12x 44mm. Illumanted mil-dot. Midway had them on sale for less than $600 shipped. Great scope for the money. Very well made and clear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6500 is a hunting line. The 2.5-16 model was neat but now that they offer FFP models in the 4200 series I don't see people buying them...... </div></div>

This. I love my 3-12 FFP.

I have the updated elite 3-12X44, the one made after they stopped calling them a 4200, and it's a damn fine scope. Really hard (maybe impossible) to beat in that price range.

While the 2.5-16's huge mag ratio was attractive, it made for some really distorted fishbowl views at low magnification. I don't know about you, but I couldn't stand it and ultimately returned my 6500 after a few days. Can't disagree that the price was good tho. I also liked the pop up turret adjustment instead of traditional screw in caps. Seems useful for a hunting scope.

No I don't think what I'm experiencing is "Tunneling". More that at the lowest magnification the view is a bit distorted.

I guess you can try this. Have the scope at the lowest power set on a fixed point. Move your head around behind it. Does the image seem to stretch and distort especially around the edges?

All scopes should have this effect to some extent since the sight picture we're viewing thru has a piece of glass lens which is thicker in the center. However what I've noticed is that this effect is more pronounced with certain brands. I've owned two Bushnell Elite scopes. One was 2.5-16x, the other was 3-9x. They have this distortion at low powers more than my Nikon Monarch 4-16x.

For shooting purposes this shouldn't be a huge problem since using good mechanics dictate the shooter have a fixed postion behind the rifle. However when using the scope to observe the surroundings I find this effect quite annoying. It is even quite apparent on my Nightforce scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I guess you can try this. Have the scope at the lowest power set on a fixed point. Move your head around behind it. Does the image seem to stretch and distort especially around the edges?

</div></div>

Mine doesn't do this. When at the lowest power (3X) there is some slight distortion around the edges. The middle of the view is clear as a bell even when I move my head around. When I turn it up to around 3.75X the distortion goes away.

I have three, 6500s on hunting rigs and they are great scopes for the $$$.
Super zoom range, great f.o.v., really nice glass, Rainguard coating, easily resettable (covered) turrets and side focus. One thing I did notice is that, given the massive zoom range, the sight picture does require a bit of 'upkeep' with the side focus, but its nothing really bothersome. All in all, I'm quite pleased with mine...

one attraction of the bushnell elite line is the close distance parallax adjustment, every thing is a compromise, for the price the AO versions are attractive. While NF and some others will hold 85% of new when sold in good condition, bushnell elite can be bought in good condition for around 65% of new, so if you buy right, used is a great deal