• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell Customer Service A New Beginning

-Nick-

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2011
I sent my Fusion 1600 ARC Laser Rangefinder into them after they told me 3-4 weeks both on the phone and online. I call them for a status 3 weeks later and they say they just literally checked them in today, but... It will be another 2-4 weeks minimum before I see them back and that's only if there's no warranty work. So, in fact it will be at least 4-6 weeks with a possibility of an additional 4-6 weeks if I need warranty repair work. My issue is being told by a rep I'm looking at 1/2 the actual wait time and then the twit on the other end giving me every excuse as to why it's not their fault rather than just apologizing for them misquoting me. She literally blamed hunting season, golfers, and I think she threw a unicorn in there somewhere. I found it even more insulting that she was obviously annoyed that I was frustrated with the situation.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Update 10/19/12: A gentlemen from Bushnell sent me a pm with his contact info apologizing for the frustration and they're looking into it. No excuses... Just an honest offer to help and no blame. It's good to know they have reps who are watching whats happening online and listening to their clients. Although I do still wonder if those Unicorns did have something to do with it.</span>

Re: Bushnell Customer Service Fail

It really is irritating, and excuses rarely win favor. I don't understand why businesses don't err on the side of caution and give long estimates, everybody like getting their stuff back early, nobody likes getting it late.
That or an honest we can't give any estimate as to time until we have the unit in hand which due to work volume could be several weeks after receipt. Yeah it sucks too, but its honest and up front.

Seems like there have been a few instances of Bushnell CS difficulties lately. There is a current thread in the Equipment section about warranty issues (among others) on a set of Fusion LRBs.

Good luck. Hopefully someone from Bushnell will see this and take action (although it shouldn't have to come to a negative post online to obtain reasonable, honest CS).

CS estimates are like seating wait time estimates at a restaurant- they are estimates. Right really is a crappy time to be trying to get CS work done on any shooting related equipment. As a hunter, I know that we are a notoriously last minute lot. Bow season has been going on here in Texas for about 3 weeks and general deer is 2 weeks away. All through the summer ARs and AKs dominated the firing line at the local range. Most days I was there I was the only one with a bolt gun. But, Tuesday- 18 days before season- every station was full. Every guy there had a dusty bolt gun they found in the back of the safe. And the tale was told on the targets. Most were happy to see a 3 inch (100 yard) group that were roughly contained on a 7 inch shoot-n-see target. Bow season is the same way- but to a lesser extent as bow hunters seem to realize that "practice makes permanent." The local range is a ghost town until about 2 weeks before the season then you can't get a lane. My very circuitous point is that CS estimates are based on average CS volume. But, right now- with hunting season right around the corner and hunters finally dusting off equipment from last year- my guess is that most shooting/hunting equipment manufacturers are seeing above average volume. Your repair is going to take longer than expected. That sucks. But, it is not a fail until they send it back still broken...

And, unicorns are tricksy. Never trust them.

Within 1 week of Zeiss receiving my PRF RF to send off to Germany for repairs, I had a nice, new loaner show up at my doorstep. I realize this isn't a Bushnell customer service experience, but maybe they can learn from it if they happen to read this thread. That is amazing to me to have a company immediately ship out a loaner which I will likely have and use for quite some time. This is no time to be without a rangefinder, and they understand that. If you read this Bushnell, maybe you should take note of what Zeiss does.

Most people understand seasonal volume and backlogs. That is one thing. But -and it is a big one, no one likes to be fed a line of "not-our-fault" excuses and BS.

OFG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CS estimates are like seating wait time estimates at a restaurant- they are estimates. Right really is a crappy time to be trying to get CS work done on any shooting related equipment. As a hunter, I know that we are a notoriously last minute lot. Bow season has been going on here in Texas for about 3 weeks and general deer is 2 weeks away. All through the summer ARs and AKs dominated the firing line at the local range. Most days I was there I was the only one with a bolt gun. But, Tuesday- 18 days before season- every station was full. Every guy there had a dusty bolt gun they found in the back of the safe. And the tale was told on the targets. Most were happy to see a 3 inch (100 yard) group that were roughly contained on a 7 inch shoot-n-see target. Bow season is the same way- but to a lesser extent as bow hunters seem to realize that "practice makes permanent." The local range is a ghost town until about 2 weeks before the season then you can't get a lane. My very circuitous point is that CS estimates are based on average CS volume. But, right now- with hunting season right around the corner and hunters finally dusting off equipment from last year- my guess is that most shooting/hunting equipment manufacturers are seeing above average volume. Your repair is going to take longer than expected. That sucks. But, it is not a fail until they send it back still broken...

And, unicorns are tricksy. Never trust them. </div></div>

You missed the point. It isn't the fact that the wait time almost doubled, or the fact that no one over there told me it would be triple if I needed warranty work. We're not talking about an absence of parts or some outside force delaying. It's the issue that after the fact rather than Bushnell apologizing for it or acting like they even remotely give a shit about one of their customers with one of their more expensive products they acted as if I was an inconvenience for asking and for wanting to know why I was never told of the additional time for repairs as needed. I've been in Customer service for over 2 decades. I didn't give their rep any attitude but voiced my frustration for their lack of communication on obvious items and their blatant attempt to misplace fault with everything but themselves.

Updated... See OP

Thanks for the update. Poor customer service with Bushnell is the only reason I don't have very much stuff from them. Their recent products seem very customer-feedback based. If they can turn their CS around, I can definitely see myself using Bushnell optics in the future.

They definitely stepped back up to the plate. The Rep on here for them has been super quick to respond and get it taken care of. All companies have customer service issues, even great ones, but its how you deal with those issues after the fact that matters even more in my opinion as to your character in business. Bushnell intends to do their best to make it right and they've proven it.

Based on a recommendation from Jacob Bynum at Rifles Only, I just bought a Bushnell Elite 1600 ARC LRF. It is working great and is very accurate (measured long range tests) and repeatable.

I just am praying it doesn't break down! I don't have a back-up (can't afford one right now), and waiting months for a repair turn-around would absolutely suck mud. If budget would allow, I'd own a Vectronix Terrapin, but budget doesn't allow...

Glad it got taken care of.
wink.gif

Good to hear. Its still a shame it takes posting it online for them to honor their warranty. Same thing happened to me a year or so back. I posted my experience here and a guy that worked for them took care of it for me.

Their poor CS is the reason I dont own many more of their products.

If you have a "elite" scope you need elite CS

If they want to get into the high end scope market, the need to drop their "banner" style of CS

somebody mounting a 1500.00 scope on a 4000.00 rifle will look elsewhere.

That's why Toyota formed Lexus