• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell DMRII.....Will I Regret It? OR?

Glen1978

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2012
Buena Vista, CO
Looking into barreling up a Tikka T3 300WM into something else....7 SAUM has caught my eye. Mostly a 1000-1500 yd fun gun to punch steel and shoot Coyotes and prairie dogs with. Will see some hunting and ELRish type gong work at a mile or whatever I can get out to on the BLM.

I want to buy my optic first to get the big cost out of the way. The Cameraland Bushnell DMRII G3 3.5-21 / Kestrel deal is really catching my eye as I need a newer model Kestrel anyway. Will I regret that scope trying to shoot that far? My last two scopes were Gen2 Razors but sold them off to fund other ventures.

GAP has the XRSII / Kestrel deal for $1700 but thats a $650 upgrade from the DMRII.

What say the Hide?

If you’ve never gotten spoiled with truly alpha glass (I haven’t) the dmr2 will be amazing. And it is, it’s just in the top 2% instead of the very truly world class top 1% of scopes.
First good scope was SWFA 5-20, then Gen2 Vortex Razors.

For a hard-use rifle that won’t break the bank, the Bushnell line is incredibly hard to beat, IMO. They’re proven to be reliable and repeatable with above average glass for their price range. They’re not “Tier 1” optics as far as glass and features, but they give the T1 stuff a run for their money for several hundred less! Personally, I use the LRTS/LRHS/DMR when I want a reliable rifle setup but can’t afford a Razor Gen2 or better.

For a hard-use rifle that won’t break the bank, the Bushnell line is incredibly hard to beat, IMO. They’re proven to be reliable and repeatable with above average glass for their price range. They’re not “Tier 1” optics as far as glass and features, but they give the T1 stuff a run for their money for several hundred less! Personally, I use the LRTS/LRHS/DMR when I want a reliable rifle setup but can’t afford a Razor Gen2 or better.

Kinda where Im at. Im just wanting to build a solid rifle but not over the top custom and same with optics. Plus I need a Kestrel as well. My main thing was spending the extra $650 to go from DMRII to XRSII.

Reactions: Mongo246
I say go for it. I’ve never shot With a DMR2 but the XRS2 is very nice. Not sure if it is worth the price difference in your situation.

I have the DMRII Pro with G3 reticle. Absolutely love it. Much better than my Viper PST Gen 2. Solid beefy turrets, great glass. I'd really like to have another.

Reactions: Ravenworks
I have the XRS gen 1, HDMRii, LRHSi, and a gen 2 viper pst. I am happy with all of them. Only change I would like would have been the LHRSi to have windage turret knob. All have been plenty good enough for me and plinking steel

Heres the deal. Im kinda hung up on these Bushnell / Kestrel deals. Cameraland has the DMRii deal for $1049

GAP has the DMRII PRO deal for $1600 and the XRSII deal for $1700. Id pay the extra $100 to step up to the XRSII no doubt. The hard part is deciding to step up from DMRII to the XRSII for $650.

I wouldn’t. And I do have an xrs2 and lrtsi. And have had a dmr2 and dmr2 pro for spells as well. The dmr2 for 8xx from cameraland or the kestrel combo are a good deal.

DMR II is more akin to a PST Gen II with a better track record. But i'd argue the PST gen II is better optically. I've had both and wasn't just overly impressed with my HDMR II especially because at the time they were still $1600 and could be had for $1300-1400 if you shopped aroundd. The DMR II Pro and XRS2 are large step ups from anything else in bushnell's lineup however. Those two scopes are using LOW glass and it shows.

They are work horses though, my ERS, HDMR II, and LRSH all tracked like a champ. I'm honestly very interested in seeing Arken's stuff given the price range.

have at it and enjoy you can worry about it after you get it and look for your self hope your pleasantly surprised and happy .
Tutti a tavola a mangiare
which means "Everyone to the table to eat!"

I wasn’t impressed with the glass of the DMR2, but the mechanics were top notch.

Not impressed as compared to what?
I’m trying to think what I had at the time. I think I had a Ares BTR, a SHV and a Weaver tactical 6-30x56 and it wasn’t as good as any of them. I think I had it two weeks then sold it.

I’ll tell ya what!!
If I was going to buy a 1000$ scope, it’d be hard for me to look past the Ares ETR.

The 5-20 is good option in that price range. I wish it had a zero stop, but there’s solutions to that.

I've had a DMRii, XRSii, and several Genii Razors. The Bushy's are gone and I still have the Razors. It was partially reticle choices that made my decision. (I also dislike the Ebr7-c, for what it's worth). I actually preffered the Bushnell mechanics, and the glass was close to my eyes. For me though, the Razors have a more forgiving eye box and that clinched the deal.

Reactions: wade2big
Damn that makes it sound bad....lol!
They are excellent scopes especially at current prices.
Glass isn’t amazing but totally workable and better than the scope I started shooting long range with.

a used Athlon Cronus is a step ahead and just a but further is a used razor G2 which is another step ahead and both excellent deals in my opinion

Im tryin to talk myself out of throwin down on a NightForce ATACR 5-25. Always wanted one but never wanted to pull the trigger that far back....lol!

Im tryin to talk myself out of throwin down on a NightForce ATACR 5-25. Always wanted one but never wanted to pull the trigger that far back....lol!

Hate to say it, but my 7-35 Mil-c ATACR lives on my match rifle, and I'm looking to replace the Ebr7-c with another one. The mechanics are excellent and the glass is a step up from the razor. They're also in a completely different price bracket......

If I’m considering that $$ range then I’d pony up to a TT or ZCO instead.
I haven’t been overly impressed with the 5x25 ATACR over my Cronus or a razor G2.
I’d like to get behind an 7x35 ATACR though.

Heres the deal. Im kinda hung up on these Bushnell / Kestrel deals. Cameraland has the DMRii deal for $1049

GAP has the DMRII PRO deal for $1600 and the XRSII deal for $1700. Id pay the extra $100 to step up to the XRSII no doubt. The hard part is deciding to step up from DMRII to the XRSII for $650.

The upgrade in glass quality on the DMR2 Pro and/or XRS2 is very much worth it - and you're getting a $400 Kestrel in the deal, too. I've spent a good bit of time behind the DMR2 and own both a Pro and a pair of XRS2s.

Reactions: ddavis
I’m trying to think what I had at the time. I think I had a Ares BTR, a SHV and a Weaver tactical 6-30x56 and it wasn’t as good as any of them. I think I had it two weeks then sold it.

There must be a big variance in glass quality within the line. I had a DMR2 and the glass was pretty bad in it. I mean sub $100 scope bad. The only other Bushnell scope I had before that was an ERS and the ERS had pretty good glass. I dealt with it for a while and then the tracking took a shit at a match so when I sent it in I mentioned the image quality being substandard and they said everything was in spec. I sold it after that. I think a PST2 is superior in every way for what it's worth. That's the last Bushnell I'll buy.

Reactions: Gohring65
There must be a big variance in glass quality within the line. I had a DMR2 and the glass was pretty bad in it. I mean sub $100 scope bad. The only other Bushnell scope I had before that was an ERS and the ERS had pretty good glass. I dealt with it for a while and then the tracking took a shit at a match so when I sent it in I mentioned the image quality being substandard and they said everything was in spec. I sold it after that. I think a PST2 is superior in every way for what it's worth. That's the last Bushnell I'll buy.
Damn.

Most folks seem happy with them so theres a great chance you'll get a good one, but it's not something I'd risk again. I've never read anything bad about the Pro models, but then again in the price range I'd go PST2. The PST2 had excellent glass. Not just "good enough." The turrets also felt nicer.

Thanks man. I figured you would be here sooner or later.

Hah. Guess I've got a reputation or something...

Different glass and coatings will have a different appearance to different shooters. It's something to do with the coatings vs your eyes, but I don't 100% understand the science behind it.

Funny enough, my understanding is the DMR2 and ERS have the same glass, but I don't know if the coatings were tweaked between the two. I'll also say I've been behind a few DMR2s, and I have never seen one even remotely close to the level of bad you're describing.

Hah. Guess I've got a reputation or something...

Different glass and coatings will have a different appearance to different shooters. It's something to do with the coatings vs your eyes, but I don't 100% understand the science behind it.

Funny enough, my understanding is the DMR2 and ERS have the same glass, but I don't know if the coatings were tweaked between the two. I'll also say I've been behind a few DMR2s, and I have never seen one even remotely close to the level of bad you're describing.

I'm certainly not a glass snob and I'm generally happy with the glass even in cheap scopes (Weaver 3-10 comes to mind) but this one wasn't acceptable for this price range at all. Like I said, it must just be variance and quality control. I don't think the ERS is supposed to have better glass but the one I had was pretty good. Never left me wanting anything more for glass.

I'm certainly not a glass snob and I'm generally happy with the glass even in cheap scopes (Weaver 3-10 comes to mind) but this one wasn't acceptable for this price range at all. Like I said, it must just be variance and quality control. I don't think the ERS is supposed to have better glass but the one I had was pretty good. Never left me wanting anything more for glass.

If you get a chance, get behind a DMR2 Pro or XRS2. I think you'll be pleased with the glass in them.

Reactions: HMRamateur
Where I live there is nothing remotely close as far as somewhere to look at glass. A gen2 PST would be about top tier as your getting. Mile High is about 3 hrs from here.

The DMR2 I had, had a fuzzy haze at 21 power, dialed back some and it improved, but was still there. It focused fine, but when looking thru the Weaver or SHV the image was clearly brighter and no haze. When taking all the rifles to the range, I’d shoot thru my rifles and when I got to the DMR2 it was obvious that the glass was inferior, even to the early Ares BTR. It was quite disappointing really.

Reactions: ddavis
Looking into barreling up a Tikka T3 300WM into something else....7 SAUM has caught my eye. Mostly a 1000-1500 yd fun gun to punch steel and shoot Coyotes and prairie dogs with. Will see some hunting and ELRish type gong work at a mile or whatever I can get out to on the BLM.

I want to buy my optic first to get the big cost out of the way. The Cameraland Bushnell DMRII G3 3.5-21 / Kestrel deal is really catching my eye as I need a newer model Kestrel anyway. Will I regret that scope trying to shoot that far? My last two scopes were Gen2 Razors but sold them off to fund other ventures.

GAP has the XRSII / Kestrel deal for $1700 but thats a $650 upgrade from the DMRII.

What say the Hide?
I have owned far too many scopes of just about every price range.

You would be better off going for the Athlon ARES ETR. Vortex PST 2, Bushnell Forge if glass & tracking matter...

I owned a DMR2 and glass was unacceptable for the price point, the DMR2 Pro & XRS 2 has better glass.

Why not get the most out of your hard earned money, right?

I like Bushnell and own many, however, the DMR2 isn't my favorite.

You would be better off going for the Athlon ARES ETR. Vortex PST 2, Bushnell Forge if glass & tracking matter...

I owned a DMR2 and glass was unacceptable for the price point, the DMR2 Pro & XRS 2 has better glass.

I think you and I had the same experience with the same DMR2. ;)

Reactions: Vamike9
Waiting to hear back from Sport Optics. Might just thrown down on the NF Ive always pined for. Even owning Vortex G2 Razors I always wanted an ATACR.

When I brought this up a while back people acted like I was crazy. Glad I'm not the only one who found the glass unacceptably bad.