• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell Elite 3200 Tact. or SS 10x42

yerbyray

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2011
western North Carolina
I'm new here but have been reading a great deal of posts but I do have a time sensitive question.

I would like to purchase a fixed power scope for my Savage 10 .308 rifle and have narrowed the choices to a Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical Mil/Mil or a SS 10x42 Tactical. They both have good reviews on their respective websites where they are being sold but I would value your opinions.

About my rifle and use. It is a stock Savage 10FP-LE2 and I use Federal Gold Match (GM308M) 168 gr. I only punch paper or evil bowling pins (best friend owns the local bowling alley) and would like to shoot up to 600 meters.

I don't want to invest a huge chunk of money into a scope but I would like to get the best value for what I pay. I know that I am worrying about the low end of the optic cost specturm but I have a 3 year old daughter that I am determined to see go to college.

Thank you all for your input. The sell ends within a week and I want to buy before I miss out.

Re: Bushnell Elite 3200 Tact. or SS 10x42

I found the Bushnell glass to be better than the SS. That and the fact that the Bushnell has matching reticle and turrets led me to purchase it over the SS. I had no issue using it to 1k yds. Either is a great budget option, you just have to decide which you prefer.

Can't go wrong with either. I believe both have a mil-dot reticle and 1/4 moa turrets which is a disapointment. it would be nice if they matched. I have a Bushnell elite tactical 10x and it serves me well and i have not comnplaints.

welcome to the hide...
i've got 2 bushnel's, like them both. Havent had any issues as of yet, the one i use pretty regularly on my .22 trainer, so it gets lots of elevation and windage adjustments. If you search around you can usually find them on sale quite often, i got both of mine for less than 150 bucks each, hard to beat for the price anyways.
as for the ss,i don't have one,but i've only heard good things about them. And as long as it's taken care of, they seem to hold their value on the auction site's if you decided to sell and upgrade later.
For the money, either one would be fine, as long as you dont try to compare them to a nightforce or s&b
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpspeeddemon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't go wrong with either. I believe both have a mil-dot reticle and 1/4 moa turrets which is a disapointment. it would be nice if they matched. I have a Bushnell elite tactical 10x and it serves me well and i have not comnplaints. </div></div>

Midway is the exclusive dealer for the Bushnell mil/mil version.

Personally, I found the Bushnell 3200 10x to be awful. I had trouble making out bullet holes at 100 yards and there were parallax issues at that range too.

The glass/clarity was awful compared to say a Nikon Buckmaster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rchman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I found the Bushnell 3200 10x to be awful. I had trouble making out bullet holes at 100 yards and there were parallax issues at that range too.

The glass/clarity was awful compared to say a Nikon Buckmaster. </div></div>

I never used mine that close. 200 was the min distance and I had no trouble making out .308 holes with mine at that distance. I believe parallax is adjusted at 200 yds on it.

SS, is overall a better scope, Better Glass/Better tube/Better full lifetime transferable warranty "if needed, which I doubt, lol" It's light and built like a tank +No BS Bushy customer service.

Mine sits on my Savage 10fcp-k and has been working great.

Apples and oranges.

Elite: 1", 15.5oz, so-so warranty, parallaxed at 100 yards.

SS: 30mm, 21 oz, great warranty, side focus down to 10 meters, buit-in sunshade.

The SS10x is going to take more than the 3200. I do have a 10x 3200 on a 1022, so the 1/4 adjustment is no big deal. I would go for the SSx10 first and the 3200 second for your 308. My 3200 10x is clear, but is is not in the same class as the SS10x. I have 4 of the ss10x. If swfa decides to make them mil/mil and keep the price under $400, they will own the marker for the 10x power scopes. Also midwayusa will have sales on the 3200 10x mil/mil.

John

The SS has a MUCH larger field of view due to the larger tube. The small tube on the Bushy is it's only down fall. Both are reliable as they come and both are very repeatable. You can't go wrong with either but if you can scratch the cash together for the SS get it and don't look back.

Good luck,
Merritt

Both are fine scopes.

The 300 dollar version of the SS has a rear mounted parallax adjustment. The Bushnell does not have a parallax adjustment.

The Bushnell is available in mil/mil, the SS is not.

The bushnell is much cheaper and you would be able to buy a decent set of rings and the scope for the same price as the SS alone.

Another option is the Weaver grand slam tactical. It is variable power, 3-10, mil/mil and has very good glass. It can be had for 300 when on sale. it is a midwayusa exclusive.

For the money I can personally say the SS is a good scope. But if I were you ,I'd save a little more and get the ss HD.

Thank you all for your input. I chose the Bushnell to get some experience with Mil-Dot and build some experience. I feel that I can easliy sell this scope and move up in a short period if I have good success.

It will be an interesting study to see the improvements with an upgrade in optics as well as the fixed power.

Now to find a spotting scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yerbyray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you all for your input. I chose the Bushnell to get some experience with Mil-Dot and build some experience. I feel that I can easliy sell this scope and move up in a short period if I have good success.

It will be an interesting study to see the improvements with an upgrade in optics as well as the fixed power.

Now to find a spotting scope</div></div>
picard-facepalm.jpg