• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5x30x50MM VS Leupold Mk 4

Iron Worker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2005
Nevada
Well I hate to admit it but I was comparing my elite 6500 to a MK 4 4.5x14x50 MM on the 200 yd line. Dang it the MK 4 was much better.

Re: Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5x30x50MM VS Leupold Mk 4

Im sure theres a stack of Mk4's out there that also dont compare that well.

My 6500 is a placeholder until the PSTs come out, and if they end up having problems I'm going to spring for a NF 3.5-15.

Ive not been impressed with the 6500's. I had a 2.5-16 and the old man has the 4.5-30 tactical and I have to say they both seem like crap to me. I got a great deal on mine at a store closing sale, so I actually made a few bucks when I sold it, but it was not good. The eye relief is insanely long - especially on the 4.5-30 - seriously like 9 or 10 inches at max power. I'm talking cheek on the end of the buttstock to get full field of view. Also, the eye box is so tiny that you'd think you had the cover closed after moving your head around for 40 seconds tring to find the spot where you can actually see through it. Seemed virtually useless at any magnfication above 20x or so - anything above that and image was about as clear as looking through my $14.99 pair of compact Simmons binos I got from Walmart just to keep in the truck - I am dead
serious.

The ideas behind this scope seem good, but they are a long ways from being properly developed. I'm not a huge Leupold fan, but the MK 4 is miles above the 6500. If I were looking at Bushnell's scopes, I'd stick with the 3200 and 4200 lines.....

YMMV,
Erik

Well you must of had a lemmon of a 6500. I have both the 2.5x16 and the 4.5x30. The 4.5 x30 optics are a little bit fuzzy but not as bad as how you describe yours. Eye relief is normal.But I'm looking to up grade.

Re: Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5x30x50MM VS Leupold Mk

Must have had 2 lemons, as both had the same problems, just worse on the 4.5-30. You said so yourself the MK4 was much better, and Leupold is not exactly the Gold Standard of optics anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iron Worker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 4.5 x30 optics are a little bit fuzzy but not as bad as how you describe yours.</div></div>

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for an $800 + scope. If I'm spending that much for glass, "a little bit fuzzy" ain't gonna cut it.... It's natural to want to be in love with what you have, but I've used enough gear(from total garbage to top-of-the-line) to know quickly whether something is worth keeping or not. If it's not, I'll ditch and get something that is. No use trying to fool myself or trying to adapt to junk. The 4200's are excellent in their price range but in my opinion, the 6500 line was a swing and a miss for Bushnell.

I don't think comparing Leupold to Bushnell is fair. The Mk4 is in a different class. Now, I'm not a Leupold biggot, actually use NF when I want a scope with 100% reliability. However, Leupold does make good stuff and comparing their high end scopes with Bushnell's high-end stuff is kind of a joke IMHO. I do a lot of F-Class and see plenty of people looking for a cost-effective scope to use in competition. At the high-end, you see a gazillion Nightforces. At the low-end, I see a lot of Weavers, Sightrons, and a few Supersnipers. Leupold is also popular, but it depends on the specific model. I'd categorize Leupold as a good mid-range scope, a step below NF, March, S&B, etc.

that funny, Ive heard a lot of people rank the 4200 glass above leupold.

I bought a 6500 4.5-30x and did not like it. Too much flare for me and sold it. Would not compare to MkIV. I bought a Kahles KT418TT for my Tango 51 and am a happy camper.

have tried a lot of scopes in the 750 to 850 range and thus far
IOR has my vote for value/optics

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have tried a lot of scopes in the 750 to 850 range and thus far
IOR has my vote for value/optics </div></div>+1 on that,i like ior's myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnnyDL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have tried a lot of scopes in the 750 to 850 range and thus far
IOR has my vote for value/optics </div></div>+1 on that,i like ior's myself. </div></div>

I'd agree. In that price range, IOR delivers a solid ass-kicking to the 6500's...