• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR II vs. Athlon Ares ETR

Rockymountheel1

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2021
Rocky Mount
Good morning. First of all I am new here so hello to everyone. I am getting ready to make a scope purchase. Around $1k is absolute max. I am down to around 3 different models.

Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR II Rifle Scope 34mm Tube 3.5-21x 50mm​

Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56

Vortex PST 5-25x50 (from my research seems to be in last place here.

I can get either of them for within $100 of each other. The scope is going on a 6 ARC gas gun with 20” barrel. Using the scope for groups at 100 yards and steel out to 1000. Any advice you guys can provide would be appreciated.

Agree 100%. The DMR2 is great, and can be had at a very good price currently from Midway and GA Precision. The XRS2 is a few steps ahead in all aspects. If you can stretch a touch above 1k, the XRS2 from Midway is the answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: rangerroy
A couple more questions. I’m moving up from a Swampfox Warhawk so I am pretty sure either of the Bushnell scopes would be better. How much better is the glass in the XRS II than the DMR II? Will it be that noticeable to someone that has never used $1k plus optics?

Is this scope that much better than the DMR II? DMR II has illuminated reticle. Since being here surfing around, I am noticing that most don’t feel it necessary.
I have both, honestly I don't see a huge difference. I know some say they do, the nice thing about the XRS is the higher magnification. If you don't think you need more than the 21x the DMR II provides it is a great scope. That being said the discount on the XRS right now awesome.

Reactions: rangerroy
I have both, honestly I don't see a huge difference. I know some say they do, the nice thing about the XRS is the higher magnification. If you don't think you need more than the 21x the DMR II provides it is a great scope. That being said the discount on the XRS right now awesome.
Discount on the DMR II is attractive as well and would save some money for new mount. Just trying to justify the extra couple hundred.

Discount on the DMR II is attractive as well and would save some money for new mount. Just trying to justify the extra couple hundred.
I understand, I went through the same thing. I bought the HDMR II first. I liked it enough that I bought the XRS later. If you go with the DMR I don't think you'll be disappointed, I paid a little more because I liked the H59 reticle better.

I have an XRS and an XRS-2.
If I could swing the $$ I'd grab another one because I like it that much better than the XRS.
The glass on the XRS-2 is way better and the elevation turret is better, even though it doesn't lock like the XRS.
I have the H59 on both

The DMR II is solidly at the top of my list of scopes (a list of 1) that I recommend people *not* buy. I paid $1050 for mine, and it came with a Kestrel 5700. I honestly wish I had just bought a Kestrel by itself, and used the $650 towards a better scope. I think the scope is probably OK at the $650 price though.
Elaborate please

I can pick up the Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 for $899 new. Is that going to be a better deal than the XRSII at $1057? Seems everyone here seems to think the XRSII is superior to the Ares ETR.

I can pick up the Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 for $899 new. Is that going to be a better deal than the XRSII at $1057? Seems everyone here seems to think the XRSII is superior to the Ares ETR.

They just want Jap made Bushnell vs Chi made.

I had the old HDMR which was a good scope but the glass was blah. The other XRS etc are later versions and seem to have a decent rep for the most part.

Most people love the ETR's too. I liked mine a lot except for the APRS1 reticle. Personally I'd order the new one with the APRS6 reticle.
The ETR has a capped windage turret so the windage knob doesn't get dialed by accident on a barricade or in a backpack or drag bag.
Illumination is daylight bright.
Great glass.
Simple to set zero stop.
One of the most distinct feeling elevation turrets on the market.

For that 6mmARC AR I'd order the New Ares ETR G2 3-18x50 with APRS6 reticle. It just seems like the best fit for it.

If it had a 16-18 inch barrel I'd suggest the Helos G2 2-12x42. That thing is about the perfect all around AR scope. I love mine!

With the money saved on the DMR II over the XRS I was able to get the illuminated reticle and the mount I desired. And the 21X top end magnification was more than enough for me. I already have an XRS and don't see much if any difference I the glass quality. At least to my eyes.

I ju
Is this scope that much better than the DMR II? DMR II has illuminated reticle. Since being here surfing around, I am noticing that most don’t feel it necessary.
This really seems to be a personal experience. My guess is that there is a difference in folks eyes so mileage may vary. While I normally wear glasses, I use my XRS II without any prescription glasses and I am seeing the clearest view based on my limited experience.

I find no aberration in the XRS II. Which I find quite noticeable on every $1k scope I have used. There clarity is more that sufficient out to the 900 yd range I shoot. Since the market price was around $1800, when I saw the Midway discount at $1100 (Tremor3 reticle), I grabbed a second one without hesitation.
Give consideration to the fact that I am a novice and don't have those deep deep pockets many here seem to have. Basically, The price is a steal for Bushnell's flagship scope and I believe it will be more than sufficient for the near and long run. It has spoiled me for $1k scopes for long range precision shooting.

Mind you I have far lesser scopes for hunting and plinking and those do their job well for their needs. In conclusion, I would recommend the XRS II in this specific case that Midway has an incredible price for the scope. Next year, there will be something to want that 'is better'.

I had both but not at same time. Glass from what i can remember is close on both. The etr is a great scope and tracked true for me out to 1900 yards. Locking wind turret and turret clicks were great. The dmr 2 is great also and japan made. The china thing dont bother me to bad like others. But i say pick the best reticle and features you like and price