• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell Elte 4200 6-24x50 Zeiss Conqest 6.5-20x50

Cyrus77

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
Bay Area, CA
For a Colt 6724 24" barrelled AR-15. I typically target shoot paper. I care about optic quality, durability, resale, etc... Please help a Newb out. I do know that the Bushnell lacks a lot of adjustment for long shots, but I am not sure how important that is for my distances and teh 223. Please any knowledgeable advise is welcome.

Trying to decide between the
Bushnell Elte 4200 6-24x50 w/mildot ~$575 ish
http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_elite4200_42-6245t.cfm

vs.

Zeiss Conqest 6.5-20x50 w. 43 rectical ~$800 ish
http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be5f/Contents-Frame/78a3eb702c91ff5185256d1300769b8d

Thanks,

Re: Bushnell Elte 4200 6-24x50 Zeiss Conqest 6.5-20x50

The Zeiss is really good glass not sure if it's got anymore elevation than the Bushnell. I run a Zeiss conquest 3X12X56mm on my .308 LTR, but I got a varible moa mount so it takes out the need for elevation within the scope. I have been wanting one the bushnell 4200 Tactical scopes also to try out. Havn't got to look thru one yet. I wouldn't think the glass would as good as the Zeiss but can't say for sure. I do think if your going to shoot out past 600 yards you may want to find a 20 or 25 moa base.

I have both and both have really limited adjustment capabilities.

Unfortunately, I've only had the Zeiss for a short time, so I can't give a well rounded impression of it. I haven't zeroed the Zeiss and seen what kind of elevation adjustment I have left. Currently it's on an AR-15 in an SPR-S mount which has 10MOA of forward cant.

I can tell you this. I've had the bushnell for a while and it's grown on me. Glass is a little fuzzy at high mag and close distances. Seems like most my glass has that issue with parallax/focus at close distances with high mag. It doesn't seem to have as good of coatings for dealing with UV glare that comes from bright days with really hazy skies. When it's clear out, lower humidity, and bright, the glass is sharp. The raingaurd coating is amazing. I seem to always fog my lenses and I've never fogged these ones. For some reason, even though I've been kinda rough with the scope, the main body looks great. I dunno if it's the aluminum/titanium alloy or the kind of anodizing they use, but it works. Clicks are positive, and seem to still track well. Parallax knob and zoom ring move very smoothly and feel solid.

The Zeiss is sharper and seems more forgiving to different light conditions. The clicks are REALLY positive. The zero adjustment system is really quite cool. Parallax knob and zoom ring move very smoothly and but the parallax knob seems to be a little wobbly. (Mine was used, so it might be because of that use.)

Both have solid mildot reticles with really thick subtension and didn't need much in the way of diopter adjustment to bring the reticle into perfect focus.

I've owned neither but have looked through and shot some of my friends guns that had those scopes mounted on their rifles.

These were my impressions.

The Bushy 6-24x50 was overall good except for the glass.Just was not as clear as some of the other scopes we were looking through when comparing.But still for the price it's not a bad scope.

The Zeiss 6.5-20x50 had some of the best glass I've looked through on a rifle scope.My friends has had no problems with it but I've read on several different posts of some of them breaking and having to be sent back.Maybe it was a bad batch?Who knows.

Steve

How much vert does the zeiss have?

Any othe scopes in the $500-$700 range

I've heard good things about Sightron scopes.Not sure on the vertical of the Zeiss.

You didn't mention how far you would be shooting?With any of these scope shooting at 600Y should be no problem.If you want to shoot farther than that you could buy Burris signature rings or get an angled base.

Steve

zeiss better quality, generally clearer and brighter, holds better value if you want to sell it however will still be a pricey used scope for the next guy. they do offer a lifetime TRANSFERABLE WARRANTY.

bushnell lower priced, good value for the $, and you'll probably be able to sell it quicker than the zeiss if you wanted to sell it. a lifetime warranty NONTRANSFERABLE witha 1year no questions asked policy.

durability, no opinion as i generally try not to beat my optics, however i hear good things about both from people that do.

if my next paycheck depended on my next shot i'd go with the zeiss. but it doesn't, so the bushnell would do fine and leaves extra $ in the budget for rings and bases

Hitting little targets means seeing them. Better glass goes to the Zeiss in all categories. I have the 4.5-14x50 and the 6.5-20x50 and they are both far and away the clearest scopes I own other than the PR Heritage.

On the Zeiss, with a simple bore sighting, I have a total of 36MOA up with the 10MOA base. So I'm guessing it's got a total elevation travel of roughly 52MOA. (I just now checked it.)