• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Bushnell Equinox review?

remr5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2011
Maryland
Does anyone have anything to say about the Bushnell Equinox night vision?

Thanks

Reactions: WT1
I have the X-Gen monocular, which is also a digital NV unit. So I suspect it is very similar in performance, although the Bushnell has a nicer body (with rail for additional IR illumination). It is fun for the money, I got mine for under $100. I bought it to send to my 7 year old Godson, but haven't finished playing with it yet. It is effective to about 35-40 yards with the on board IR illuminator. With my IR Torch Pro illuminator, I was able to see out to 100 yards, but it was barely usable. It can see, but it is hard to ID what you are looking at. It was much better at 75 yards and excellent at 50 yards. Of course the Torch Pro cost me twice what the X-Gen did. The image is very choppy on the unit, even on the higher settings. It also have a very narrow field of view. But it will allow you to see short range in the dark.

On the upside, because it is digital, you can use it in bright conditions. So it is safe for kids to use around the house. I wouldn't even consider letting a kid run my PVS-14 without me right next to them. You don't get bloom like an image intensifier, but it does wash out at night if there are bright lights. It can only focus on the dark or light areas, not both.

Now, I have a PVS-14 to compare it to. It is a toy compared to it, but a fun toy. You will be able to see in the dark for 30 yards. The image will be choppy and the resolution very low, but it is $100-200. Fun, but not very useful for any serious use.