• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell Excursion mildot spotter review ...

Snakum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2010
Sandhills
Got it from SWFA last week and have finally had a chance to wring it out.

The case is a semi hardside, poly covered jobbie with molded compartments, and it has its own carrying handle and carrying strap. The tripod is strapped to the bottom by quick-detach plastic hooks. The spotter has a plastic lens cover in front and also has the standard poly cover that can be folded back at the eyepiece and lens, and which has hooks for attaching the supplied strap. It can be carried in the soft case by slinging the strap around the body and deploying by just resting it on a ruck or window ledge for milling/spotting without the tripod (which would seem cumbersome to use in comps).

The focus dial is free and works very well, however the magnification dial is very, very stiff. The controls are simple, however, and even a Marine could figure it out (
laugh.gif
). It focuses very quickly at all mag levels from 15 to 45. And the mildot reticle (FFP btw) is easily readable at all mag settings. Only wish it had half mil hash marks.

The tripod is not so hot, if you've used a good one. Or is moderately ok if you're coming from a cheap Simmons spotter like me. It is very unstable with the weight of the spotter easily tipping it over backward. Care must be taken to ensure a tripod leg is directly behind the scope. Also, the various knobs and friction locks are rather cheesy. In short ... the tripod should be thrown away if the spotter is going to be used on it much. For static shooting/target practice it will do okay.

The lens is very, very clear when compared to any other I had access to (Simmons, cheaper Bushnell, and a Konus). I mean the view was very, very crisp and crystal clear with no haze nor distortions anywhere. Pretty impressive. At dusk it seemed to gather light in a way that only my old Pentax scope used to. It works almost like a pseudo NVG and lets me see into dark corners and woods. Very nice.

Was able to see .308 hits on white and orange background to 400 yards, but no mirage was boiling up yesterday. Should get to see heavy mirage today and see if that makes a diff.

Pros
- Very very nice glass. Crisp and clear.
- Saw .308 hits to 400 yards so far.
- Seems to focus easier than any other I've tried.
- Mildot reticle is easy to see at all settings (FFP)
- FFP reticle
- Good eye relief.
- Decent field of view
- Did I mention glass is pretty awesome?
- Spotter fits case with the tripod adapter attached (a biggie)

Cons
- Tripod blows goats
- Magnification dial is very stiff
- No dummy cord for lens cover
- Carrying strap on the bottom causing Mildot Master to fall out of pocket
- Pocket too small.
- Did I mention the tripod sucks ass?

Re: Bushnell Excursion mildot spotter review ...

Great review:
I got one last year and love mine and I love all the money still in my pocket from the savings over going with other high dollar versions!! Its a hobby for me so less is better sometimes.
Here is a link of me trying to film thru the lense....
http://www.youtube.com/user/woodspider#p/u/5/04O966rbMJY

Thanks for sharing your review.
PS I agree with ALL your cons in fact I lost my lens cover already due to no dummy cord.
CONS as you stated and I agree are:
Tripod blows goats
- Magnification dial is very stiff
- No dummy cord for lens cover
- Carrying strap on the bottom causing Mildot Master to fall out of pocket
- Pocket too small.
- Did I mention the tripod sucks ass?

Mirage was bad today across a plowed field about 1300 hrs. Couldn't see hits at 150 yards. Really boiling today. The mag dial is really torquing me, too. Does it free up with use?

Fayette'nam eh? Sorry to highjack the thread but I'm close(Laurinburg). Is there any type of get together for long range shooting near us?
thanks

great review and I appreciate it as I am the process of the search for a Spotting scope. I don't have big bucks to spend on one so this is scope is in the running.

Did you try the mil dots for ranging? How was it and how was the accuracy?

I've only taken mine out twice so far, but I am extremely pleased overall. I found the milradian measurements were accurate and remained constant throughout the powerband. The power ring is also pretty stiff on mine, I'm hoping it eases up a bit.

I did not like the tripod, but I almost found that to be a positive. It offered something to hold it up in the meantime, and it was cheap and included. Now I have something to use while I figure out the exact features I want on the tripod I will purchase separately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fayette'nam eh? Sorry to highjack the thread but I'm close(Laurinburg). Is there any type of get together for long range shooting near us?
thanks </div></div>

Places to shoot are hard to come by. I've been busting my butt to keep a few private properties open for shooting. Had a good one shut down on me recently due to complaints about noise. Now I'm down to 350 - 400 yards max on two but I can't hit them more than a couple of times per month.
frown.gif

If you hear of a spot let me know, and I'll do the same. I would think Fayetteville/Cumberland Co. would have somewhere.

Dang, I was hoping you had some good 1K spots.
grin.gif
I just got a stock Remy 5R in .308 but need to invest in some good glass. I'd like to look through a NF and S&B to get a better "hands on" feel. I know there are some awesome ranges on Bragg but I'm not current or ex Military. As many guys on base though, seems like there would be more members here from that area.

Update ....

Was finally able to use the spotter to spot for more experienced shooters. With a bit of coaching I found I was able to to pretty clearly see the trace from a .308 thru the Bushy, and most times follow it in to see where the round went if it didn't splash the plate. Couldn't really follow a .223 though. Just a brief glimpse of it.

The clarity of the Bushy beside an older Leupold (back when they made kickass spotters) of the same mag range was pretty decent. Very good, in fact. The old Leupy might have yielded a bit more clarity and detail in the shade at 500+ but the Bushy was right there with it once I got it focused and got used to it.

The tripod blows. Badly.

The rearward CG blows and the damn thing fell over twice.

The mag dial requires a channel lock pliers, two men and a strong boy to turn it. Sucks bad.

Wrap-up ...

Love the spotter. Better than the new Leupold it was compared to. As good as, maybe a bit better than a Konus and a lesser Bushy of the same mag. And didn't give up much to a good old Leupy. Love the thing, and hope the mag dial will get better with use.

Hate the tripod. Will replace asap as funds available.

Couldn't agree more...

On my last outing there were three of those spotters on the line including mine. All operated with no issues to my knowledge. I was able to spot trace out to 680 yards with no problem. I have also noticed the poor tripod and the stiff mag ring, but overall I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

I took a Slik tripod off my old telescope and it did wonders. I love this spotting scope and hope it holds up in the long run.

I also have the spotter and a fan of it so far, the tripod does blow, thanks for the recomendation on the Slik.

I have wanted one ever since Lowlight let me look thru the one he reviewed

Probably won't have a new tripod by Pasquatank. I'm just going to carry it strapped and throw it down on the ruck at positions if I can't pick up a tripod tomorrow.

Thanks for the review. I have been thinking about one of these for a while. I bought a Konus spotter for use in Highpower competitions, but I may just have to try out this Bushnell when I can part with the funds.

I got to use the Bushy at the Pasq shoot today on a SLIK tripod my partner brought. That was definitely the shizznit. My only concern was that instead of traversing two axis, I'm also adjusting cant with the SLIK. Any tips or tricks?