• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell HDMR Issue

bradthemarine

Private
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2012
I was invited out to an 800 yard shoot about a month ago and when I went to dial the elevation (5.9 mils) on my HDMR, it stopped after only 3.2 mils of elevation. I returned the dial to zero and removed the turret cover to see if something was fouling the dial. I found nothing and attempted to dial my elevation again, this time it stopped again at 3.2. I went to return the scope to zero and it seized up at 2.2 mils. From here it wouldn’t move. At this point I took some photos and didn’t mess with it anymore. I packed it up and shipped it to Bushnell. At no point did I force or over-rotate the elevation turret.

I was annoyed but I’ve only heard great things about Bushnell’s warranty program so I wasn’t that worried.

I received an email on 9 October saying they’d received the scope and they’d get back to me after they checked it out. I checked my repair ticket status this weekend and saw that it had been updated on 23 October but I couldn’t see the update. Today I call their customer service line and speak with a representative. The rep read me the notes from the lab tech: “The elevation turret has been over-rotated, this voids the warranty and will cost $100 to fix.” I ask to speak with a manager/supervisor, the rep puts me on hold for a few minutes and informs me that a manager will contact me soon.

Question for the group: aside from over-rotating the turret, what could have caused this? I am not familiar with the internal workings of scopes. The rifle is close to the bottom of its elevation range when zeroed. It’s currently used on a 260, when it was previously on a 308 the zero was higher in elevation than where the scope seized. I shot that scope out to 1100 yards and never ran out of elevation. I state all this to emphasize, I didn’t over-rotate the elevation turret as I wouldn’t be anywhere near the top of my elevation.

Please don’t take this the wrong way, I’m not trying to blast Bushnell. I love this scope and I can’t wait to get it back in working order, that being said I’m concerned about my warrantee being voided as the lifetime warranty was one of the reasons I went with it. When I speak with the supervisor I’m going to tell them what I’m telling you, any words of wisdom or advice?

Thanks for your time.

Interesting.

I had a weird issue with my XRS after getting home from Altus. I left it dialed for the last stage, 2.9 I think, and when I got home it wouldn't dial below 1.1. Previously the zero stop was set at 0.5 below my actual zero. I did the same thing you did, took the turret off, cleaned it etc and it wouldn't budge.

I reset the zero stop, dialed it down a bit and went to the range. First impact was exactly 3 mils low, dialed it up and shot a group. It was almost like the zero stop shifted somehow. First issue I've had in 5 years with this scope. I was debating sending it in for warranty work but now I'm not so sure.

Was the HDMR a demo unit and not new?

Interesting.

I had a weird issue with my XRS after getting home from Altus. I left it dialed for the last stage, 2.9 I think, and when I got home it wouldn't dial below 1.1. Previously the zero stop was set at 0.5 below my actual zero. I did the same thing you did, took the turret off, cleaned it etc and it wouldn't budge.

I reset the zero stop, dialed it down a bit and went to the range. First impact was exactly 3 mils low, dialed it up and shot a group. It was almost like the zero stop shifted somehow. First issue I've had in 5 years with this scope. I was debating sending it in for warranty work but now I'm not so sure.
You would rather keep a broke scope then send it off to be fixed?

Interesting.

My HDMR doesn’t have a zero stop so that couldn’t have been the issue for me. If I were you, I’d send the XRS in and maybe some preventative maintenance can keep your issue from occurring again. Good luck and thanks again.

I was invited out to an 800 yard shoot about a month ago and when I went to dial the elevation (5.9 mils) on my HDMR, it stopped after only 3.2 mils of elevation. I returned the dial to zero and removed the turret cover to see if something was fouling the dial. I found nothing and attempted to dial my elevation again, this time it stopped again at 3.2. I went to return the scope to zero and it seized up at 2.2 mils. From here it wouldn’t move. At this point I took some photos and didn’t mess with it anymore. I packed it up and shipped it to Bushnell. At no point did I force or over-rotate the elevation turret.

I was annoyed but I’ve only heard great things about Bushnell’s warranty program so I wasn’t that worried.

I received an email on 9 October saying they’d received the scope and they’d get back to me after they checked it out. I checked my repair ticket status this weekend and saw that it had been updated on 23 October but I couldn’t see the update. Today I call their customer service line and speak with a representative. The rep read me the notes from the lab tech: “The elevation turret has been over-rotated, this voids the warranty and will cost $100 to fix.” I ask to speak with a manager/supervisor, the rep puts me on hold for a few minutes and informs me that a manager will contact me soon.

Question for the group: aside from over-rotating the turret, what could have caused this? I am not familiar with the internal workings of scopes. The rifle is close to the bottom of its elevation range when zeroed. It’s currently used on a 260, when it was previously on a 308 the zero was higher in elevation than where the scope seized. I shot that scope out to 1100 yards and never ran out of elevation. I state all this to emphasize, I didn’t over-rotate the elevation turret as I wouldn’t be anywhere near the top of my elevation.

Please don’t take this the wrong way, I’m not trying to blast Bushnell. I love this scope and I can’t wait to get it back in working order, that being said I’m concerned about my warrantee being voided as the lifetime warranty was one of the reasons I went with it. When I speak with the supervisor I’m going to tell them what I’m telling you, any words of wisdom or advice?

Thanks for your time.
Expect a call on this tomorrow. Thanks!

Reactions: ZG47A
Update!

I had a great call with Bushnell’s customer service this evening. Bottom line, there shouldn’t have been a service charge and they’re going to fix the scope. I’m really appreciative of them taking care of this. I don’t know what caused the malfunction but they said if it happens again, they’ll fix it again or replace it. They also made it clear that they’ll take care of me if I want to purchase another Bushnell product in the future. I’ve been looking at one of their spotting scopes so I may take them up on that offer. That being said, I’m mainly excited to have my scope back as it’s served me well on multiple rifles.

Reactions: ZG47A and rhsc