• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell HDMR -- Just a Fad?

hamstur

Smelly
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2011
Desert
Sort of curious on other folks' perspective...

As I browse the scope discussion forum, I've seen a lot of recommendations for the Bushnell HDMR lately. I've never seen or looked through one in person, but read what I could about it and thought Ilya's high-end tactical part 3 review provided a great impartial side-by-side review.

Noticed folks are specifically only saying get the GAP G2 reticle, so I'm just curious it's all the rage right now simply because the name 'GAP' is tied to it. 6 months ago, folks would scoff if you threw the Bushnell name in the ring against NF, USO, etc. Folks were snagging up the SS 5-20 when it was hot-off-the-press and now you see them for sale everywhere.

When ZS/HS became widespread for NF, folks started dumping their non-ZS/HS units off like crazy and only budget-concious shooters kept or bought them. You can go to the classified anytime and see plenty of non-ZS/HS sitting there with little interest.

Is the fate of the HDMR the same as the SS 5-20 and non-ZS/HS NF?

Re: Bushnell HDMR -- Just a Fad?

I have 2. One with the TreMor2 and one with the G2. Can't pass judgement on the TreMor2 because I haven't had a chance to test the wind dots yet.

The scope itself is awesome for the price and IMO perfect for a semi auto platform because of it's length.

Reticles like the GAP G2 are not a fad, they are the result of more of the manufactures finally understanding what features to put in a reticle to allow you to make the most of FFP (or are at least listening to people who do understand >> George Gardner).

This style of reticle allows you to do combinations of: holdover + wind, holdover + lead, or holdover + wind + lead more effectively, without having to touch the turrets. Very useful in situations where seconds count.

I think people like the GAP reticle because it has more information than a standard mil-dot or even a TMR style but not as cluttered as a Horus ret. It's being recommended because it's great glass and a fair price.

Any chance the GAP reticle will make their way into S&B scopes like the Horus do?

I did a through the scope video of the Bushnell HDMR:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26lwyhR1n14

I think the HDMR is very good considering the price. You get the Horus reticle, FFP, a 7x erector range, tank like tube, and alpha/near alpha glass for only $1500-$1600.

Tell me where else you can get that for that price? For its combination of features for the price, there are very few scopes that compare. Even if you don't look at price, it is still a very good scope.

So no, it probably won't be a fad since it actually does provide a compelling value. The reason people were dumping the SS were due to:
1. They bought at the special intro price and were flipping them for a profit
2. They ran into personal financial problems and had to sell something of value
3. They simply wanted to trying something different and were raising cash through the sale

Same can be said for alot of other scopes for sale.

Looks like the Mark 6 may cut in on the HDMR market.

The great thing about the HDMR is the mag range. 3.5-21 is perfect. All they need to do is add 10 mil/rev turrets with ZS (forget about illumination).

Thanks for all the initial replies so far guys! Sounds like something worth checking out in person to make personal assessments on. What really spurred the question was looking at the active TRG-22 scope thread since the OP was asking what scope up to $2K. Very intriguing to me at that price, so many folk would say HDMR G2 over, say, a PR 3-15 Gen2 XR.

I definitely understand the old adage "a penny saved is a penny earned" but if I had posted up to $2K, I would be looking for for recommendations of the best (in people's opinion) they could get spending the entire $2K.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamstur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sort of curious on other folks' perspective...

As I browse the scope discussion forum, I've seen a lot of recommendations for the Bushnell HDMR lately. I've never seen or looked through one in person, but read what I could about it and thought Ilya's high-end tactical part 3 review provided a great impartial side-by-side review.

Noticed folks are specifically only saying get the GAP G2 reticle, so I'm just curious it's all the rage right now simply because the name 'GAP' is tied to it. 6 months ago, folks would scoff if you threw the Bushnell name in the ring against NF, USO, etc. Folks were snagging up the SS 5-20 when it was hot-off-the-press and now you see them for sale everywhere.

When ZS/HS became widespread for NF, folks started dumping their non-ZS/HS units off like crazy and only budget-concious shooters kept or bought them. You can go to the classified anytime and see plenty of non-ZS/HS sitting there with little interest.

Is the fate of the HDMR the same as the SS 5-20 and non-ZS/HS NF? </div></div>

Here's my perspective.

I think many practical precision shooters realize the convenience and advantages of FFP scopes for their game.

Scope company's will always be coming out with new scopes with certain features at a certain price point. Nowadays there is a huge demand and market for reliable moderately priced FFP scopes.

A little history. I'm not sure if it's exactly correct but you'll get the message I'm trying to convey.

For years there were only U$O and S$B that sold tactical style FFP scopes. NF was the next best thing but were only available with SFP. Even back then the FFP scopes weren't much cheaper than they are now. So you either paid up or shoot SFP scopes like NXS or Leupold. Later on IOR started selling FFP scopes but had reliability issues so shooters wanting reliability stuck with the old standby's. Shortly after that NF came out with the F1 so there was finally a less expensive FFP option till Vortex come out with the Razor which was cheaper still. Then the Vortex PST, Weaver FFP and Bushnell tactical came out which all have/had some downfalls related to the price point like ho-hum clarity, not very much elevation travel, average build quality, some reliability issues, only available in mildot, no ZS, etc.

Enter the SS-5-20 and the Bushnell HDMR that came out last year. They both split the difference between the cheaper and expensive FFP scopes and have a lot going for them like 20-21x mag on the top end, very good glass, are reliable, track well, have great reticles, approx 30 mil elevation travel, aren't super heavy or large, etc. However both are missing some nice features. The HDMR was designed originally for a military contract submission so higher quality than the other Bushnell lines. It is 3.5-21X so has a mag advantage, 5 mil knobs, locking turrets, is available with Horus reticle/other reticles but lacks illume and ZS. The SS 5-20 doesn't have a ZS but has 10 mil knobs and illume with one reticle choice. There were some problems with the indicating marks lining up on the knobs and illume bleed otherwise you don't hear much about other issues.

I believe the HDMR has come out with 10 mil knobs for 2012 ??? I bet that next year we'll see some other nice features. I own 3 HDMR/H-59's. They are very nice scopes. Especially the glass quality.

I wouldn't be surprised if SWFA has some refinements up their sleeve for the future as well.

I think one of the reasons you see the SS 5-20's up for sale is because of the large volume of scopes that were sold compared to the HDMR's. That and many folk are making a $100-200 profit on the ones bought during the original group buy and spending the money for other priorities.

The HDMR just a fad? For right now I can't think of another scope I'd rather have for the money and the features I want but that could change in a couple years. Heck, give me a HDMR with 10 mil knobs,ZS and Illume and my criteria for a perfect scope is pretty much fulfilled.

I have qiute a few Schmidt Bender scopes. I just recently picked up a HDMR G2 and after using it for 1 range session Im gonna be hard pressed to buy anymore $3000+ scopes. It just needs a zero stop and it would be perfect. If you get the Horus version you dont have to do anything but just zero it. With all the new euro glass and comp guns you are getting pretty close to the 10K mark for a comp gun. With the HDMR series you can stay below 5k for a bulletproof gun. Take it for what its worth but it is a solid scope.

Rich

confucious once say "ive never bought a thing within the first year it came out, not guns, not scopes, not bullets, nuthin. Let other peoples wallets decide if its worth it or not, a year later it'll be more clear"

I hope the Bushnell HDMR is just a passing fad. That way, when people start selling them used, but in perfectly good working order for less than a thousand dollars, I can afford one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope the Bushnell HDMR is just a passing fad. That way, when people start selling them used, but in perfectly good working order for less than a thousand dollars, I can afford one! </div></div>

+1

Nothing wrong with riding the back side of a popularity wave and taking advantage of those who need/want the latest & greatest kit selling at a discount!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have qiute a few Schmidt Bender scopes. I just recently picked up a HDMR G2 and after using it for 1 range session Im gonna be hard pressed to buy anymore $3000+ scopes. It just needs a zero stop and it would be perfect. If you get the Horus version you dont have to do anything but just zero it. With all the new euro glass and comp guns you are getting pretty close to the 10K mark for a comp gun. With the HDMR series you can stay below 5k for a bulletproof gun. Take it for what its worth but it is a solid scope.

Rich </div></div>

Well we seem to be on the same page, i just sold my s&b 5-25 and bought 2 hdmr's. I am not going to lie and tell you its as good, but i will same its close enough come end of the day it won't be costing me any points. I did the side by side comparison and at the end of the day i don't have enough expendable income to justify keeping the s&b over the others.

Huh?.... I guess I had a different experience. Last weekend I was able to do a side by side with the HDMR and my PH 5-25 on steel out to 1000 yds for almost 3 hours. I will be buying another Premier in the future. The HDMR is nice for the price point, and I like George's reticle, but there was a pronounced difference in resolution and brightness with the Premier being noticeably better. I like the HDMR, but you can find used Premier 3-15's for $2k now with a relative degree of regularity. That will be my next scope. Just my 2 cents.

-SBS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SagebrushShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Huh?.... I guess I had a different experience. Last weekend I was able to do a side by side with the HDMR and my PH 5-25 on steel out to 1000 yds for almost 3 hours. I will be buying another Premier in the future. The HDMR is nice for the price point, and I like George's reticle, but there was a pronounced difference in resolution and brightness with the Premier being noticeably better. I like the HDMR, but you can find used Premier 3-15's for $2k now with a relative degree of regularity. That will be my next scope. Just my 2 cents.

-SBS </div></div>

This seems to be the theme I sense from the replies. If we were to accept facts, we would all agree a $1000 scope is more than anybody ever needs. That fact aside, it's great for the price ... it's a perfect compromise for the budget-concious who want a reliable FFP with good reticle ... ultimately in a 'money is no object' spectrum, it's good but not great.

Definitely sounds like an optic I would not hesitate to demo, but one I wouldn't go out of my way for. I still find it interesting that folks are saying it's great but would be prefect with 10 mil turns, illum, and ZS because that would easily push the price past $2K. At that retail point, wonder how sales would compete against NF F1, Razor or PR LT.

The G2 reticle is a very useful reticle IMO. That's why I like it. I wouldn't care who designed it, it works well for my needs. I like the S&B P4F and the H2CMR as well.

Also the features plus the reticle are what people are looking at and purchasing. I have several S&B's that I like. The HDMR is a great scope at 1/3 the price for FFP in about the perfect magnification range for comps and training.

It's nice to see another company stepping up and listening to what shooters want instead of another lame BDC reticle designed for folks who shoot less than a box of ammo a year when they go hunting whitetail.

I wish the gap reticle had the cross hair above the horizontal bar left clean without any marks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The G2 reticle is a very useful reticle IMO. That's why I like it. I wouldn't care who designed it, it works well for my needs. I like the S&B P4F and the H2CMR as well.

Also the features plus the reticle are what people are looking at and purchasing. I have several S&B's that I like. The HDMR is a great scope at 1/3 the price for FFP in about the perfect magnification range for comps and training.

It's nice to see another company stepping up and listening to what shooters want instead of another lame BDC reticle designed for folks who shoot less than a box of ammo a year when they go hunting whitetail. </div></div>

Well said.
I am very impressed with my HDMR. Only thing I would like to see is a zero stop. No complaints otherwise.

I really like my HDMR and I have the H59 reticle in mine and don't find it to busy and very useful in some situations. I will be buying another, solid scope for a good price.

Not going to be a fad for me. I've got one with the G2 Reticle and will be buying a second.

I have never seen an HDMR but if they are anything like the 4200's they just seem very easy to use. I had been forced into leupolds because of the features I can get with them. but picking up one of my guns with a 4200 on it is like picking up an old catchers mit, they just seem to come up to the eye very easily and are easy to get behind.

I don't see SS 5-20 for sale everywhere, If it was they would be cheap and I could afford one. Damn 500 off I missed out on makes me hold out buying one.