• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell HDMR2 vs Steiner T5xi

DRichardson

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2017
Acworth, GA
I have been using a Bushnell HDMR 2 for about 2 years now. It's been a good scope, and was my first real good quality scope purchase, so my experience with others is pretty limited. I'm looking to change up and upgrade. I currently have the H59 reticle, and honestly don't use it to it's potential, and wouldn't mind moving to a simpler reticle. Only other slight issue with the HDMR is the turrets could be more crisp and solid.

Going to a Steiner T5xi 5-25 would I be actually upgrading as far as glass and turrets? The SCR mil reticle looks like something I would like, only not sure about only .5 mil substensions on elevation but still seems useable.

If that isn't a good upgrade I also was looking at possibly a Leupold Mark 5, but the reticle options other than maybe another H59 didn't really interest me as much.

If you already like the DMR2 but want better glass and no Horus reticle, I'd say take a long look at the DMR2 Pro. It's got the ED Prime glass from the XRS2 and the G3 reticle. I have one for my gas gun, and I have been really happy with it.

Might want to watch the exchange for a DMR 2 pro from the recent deals. I love mine and its my current favorite optic.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
I looked at those but the one thing I really like on the H59 in the .2 mil substensions on at least the windage so that knocks the G3 out.

I looked at those but the one thing I really like on the H59 in the .2 mil substensions on at least the windage so that knocks the G3 out.

I'll be honest, I don't care for .2 mil marks, I think it gets too busy. With the G3, I have no issues being able to make wind/elevation holds to .1 (it takes a little practice, but it's doable), and I can even mil targets down to .05 if I have a minute to sit and really pay attention to it. The flip side is the G3 gives you a cleaner sight picture, and you're less likely to lose impacts in the clutter.
If you're going to be at any PRS matches any time soon, take a minute to get behind someone's XRS2 or DMR2/DMR2 Pro with a G3 in it and see it in person.

I had both the DMR2 and T5xi. Still have the T5xi. In my opinion, it’s not a huge upgrade from the DMR2. If you’re looking to jump up in glass quality, you need to go further than the T5xi.

I'll be honest, I don't care for .2 mil marks, I think it gets too busy. With the G3, I have no issues being able to make wind/elevation holds to .1 (it takes a little practice, but it's doable), and I can even mil targets down to .05 if I have a minute to sit and really pay attention to it. The flip side is the G3 gives you a cleaner sight picture, and you're less likely to lose impacts in the clutter.
If you're going to be at any PRS matches any time soon, take a minute to get behind someone's XRS2 or DMR2/DMR2 Pro with a G3 in it and see it in person.
Thanks I'll check one out

I had both the DMR2 and T5xi. Still have the T5xi. In my opinion, it’s not a huge upgrade from the DMR2. If you’re looking to jump up in glass quality, you need to go further than the T5xi.

What about the turrets? Do you feel the Steiner is better?

The Steiner I played with a while ago had excellent turrets... IMHO. My XRS2 turrets have a little more lash andin comparison, but not by much and it's not a big deal either way. There is going to be some lash no matter what really, some brands are less perceptible than others.

To me, a good scope is about more than that, I'm happy with my XRS2. If the DMRPro has the same glass, I wouldn't hesitate, it bn is excellent

I just got finished shooting in 90-95 degree, 45% humidity. Density Alt was around 5700 ft. There was a lot of mirage today, and I shot rifles with a SWFA 5-20HD, Bushnell HDMR (Gen1) 3.5-21, Steiner Military 4-16 (Gen I), and a Steiner T5Xi 3-15.

I have steel in 100 yard increments out to 500, then 1000. I only shot out to 500 today thanks to the 1000 gong blowing over, and the corn growth blocking my normal shooting spot.

All scopes were set at 15x and all rifles are suppressed with no shrouds.

The Steiner Military easily won as far as cutting through the mirage, the T5Xi wasn't far behind, followed by the SWFA which did okay, and lagging FAR behind was the HDMR.

I was shocked at how badly the HDMR handled the mirage. Just to make sure, I pulled out my kids' Ruger RPR .22 that has an identical scope on it and it did the same thing.

I don't know if the HDMR II has the same glass setup, I can only relay what I saw with the Gen I.

This was an perfect example of what great glass does for a shooter. I could spot strikes with the Steiners, the SWFA was marginal, and the HDMR was unusable for spotting.

For all of you guys that have the 4-16 Military, hold onto it or sell it to me! I've got 2, but can always use more, especially after seeing the difference today.

Hope this helps.

Without sounding too fanboyish, heavy mirage is a hard condition to judge optical quality in. I was out this spring doing load development and was using my athlon argos. During a break I was talking to a few guys about their scopes, since I was in the market for something bettet. Mirage was pretty bad this day. I'm in southern california desert, so we get over 100° with oppressively high humidity some days. I looked through their scopes, a Leupold Mk5hd, Razor G2, and mine again. The way the targets are set up at this range, the further out you go, the higher on a hill the targets get. So at 100 yards, the mirage was pretty bad. Like, I barely could tell the difference between my argos and a MK5HD. But as I ran out further in range and got up the hill, the mirage was less and less and the optical clarity came through in the MK5 and the Razor G2.

Reason I say this, this is, we have such bad mirage here, it looks like cars are driving in the sky. The road disappears at certain angles, it's fun and trippy. But no scope is going to cut through or fix that. Wind effects it, height off the ground effects it, heat, humidity, and elevation effects it.

I have an XRS2, and I got it during the GAP sale a while back. So my loyalty to brand is not high on my list. I wasn't even considering it until the sale happened. I actually bought a razor g2 but it went out of of stock before mine shipped so I ended up not getting it, canceling my order and going XRS2 mostly because of the free kestrel honestly. I think I still like the Steiner you mentioned better due to turrets. The ones I shot were very good. But, I just find the claim that any optic cuts through mirage, to be inaccurate.

Reactions: DRichardson
I just got finished shooting in 90-95 degree, 45% humidity. Density Alt was around 5700 ft. There was a lot of mirage today, and I shot rifles with a SWFA 5-20HD, Bushnell HDMR (Gen1) 3.5-21, Steiner Military 4-16 (Gen I), and a Steiner T5Xi 3-15.

I have steel in 100 yard increments out to 500, then 1000. I only shot out to 500 today thanks to the 1000 gong blowing over, and the corn growth blocking my normal shooting spot.

All scopes were set at 15x and all rifles are suppressed with no shrouds.

The Steiner Military easily won as far as cutting through the mirage, the T5Xi wasn't far behind, followed by the SWFA which did okay, and lagging FAR behind was the HDMR.

I was shocked at how badly the HDMR handled the mirage. Just to make sure, I pulled out my kids' Ruger RPR .22 that has an identical scope on it and it did the same thing.

I don't know if the HDMR II has the same glass setup, I can only relay what I saw with the Gen I.

This was an perfect example of what great glass does for a shooter. I could spot strikes with the Steiners, the SWFA was marginal, and the HDMR was unusable for spotting.

For all of you guys that have the 4-16 Military, hold onto it or sell it to me! I've got 2, but can always use more, especially after seeing the difference today.

Hope this helps.

Supposedly the HDMR II is a significant step up in glass over the Gen I and the HDMR II Pro even more so.

John

Without sounding too fanboyish, heavy mirage is a hard condition to judge optical quality in. I was out this spring doing load development and was using my athlon argos. During a break I was talking to a few guys about their scopes, since I was in the market for something bettet. Mirage was pretty bad this day. I'm in southern california desert, so we get over 100° with oppressively high humidity some days. I looked through their scopes, a Leupold Mk5hd, Razor G2, and mine again. The way the targets are set up at this range, the further out you go, the higher on a hill the targets get. So at 100 yards, the mirage was pretty bad. Like, I barely could tell the difference between my argos and a MK5HD. But as I ran out further in range and got up the hill, the mirage was less and less and the optical clarity came through in the MK5 and the Razor G2.

Reason I say this, this is, we have such bad mirage here, it looks like cars are driving in the sky. The road disappears at certain angles, it's fun and trippy. But no scope is going to cut through or fix that. Wind effects it, height off the ground effects it, heat, humidity, and elevation effects it.

I have an XRS2, and I got it during the GAP sale a while back. So my loyalty to brand is not high on my list. I wasn't even considering it until the sale happened. I actually bought a razor g2 but it went out of of stock before mine shipped so I ended up not getting it, canceling my order and going XRS2 mostly because of the free kestrel honestly. I think I still like the Steiner you mentioned better due to turrets. The ones I shot were very good. But, I just find the claim that any optic cuts through mirage, to be inaccurate.

I can only relay what I saw. This wasn't over a days span, it was within an hour under the same conditions. I am not going to contest the "inaccurate" opinion, since I was the only person there. Perhaps the barrel heat between different rifles affected what I saw, but there is zero doubt it happened.

On a clear, cool day, there is no noticeable difference.

I love my HDMR's, but they couldn't keep up with the others yesterday.

Last edited:
I don’t doubt your observations. I think it would not be correct however, to base expectations of the DMR2, which is what the OP asked about, off of your observations 1st generation DMRs.

John

I don’t doubt your observations. I think it would not be correct however, to base expectations of the DMR2, which is what the OP asked about, off of your observations 1st generation DMRs.

John

You are right, hence this part of my post:

:)

Reactions: Hondo64d
I think the two scopes are pretty close together. To my eyes I can't see much of a difference. I wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars extra for the T5xi. The DMR2 is a damn good scope for the price, I'd be hard pressed to spend more money without jumping up to a Razor Gen2. The tactical scope market is flooded, you can buy used DMR2s for $900 to $1100 and used Razor Gen2s for $1500 to $1600.

Thanks for all the replies and info. I think, for the time being I'm going to stick with the Bushnell untill I'm ready to do a bigger more clear cut upgrade.

Out of all those optics I would certainly recommend the Leaupy MK 5 which doesnt seem to get much love here due to thier recent past. That said, the Mark 5 is a fantastic optic for the price. To my eyes the clarity is slightly better than the Razor but the razor has a much better field of view and better eye box as well. Where the Mark 5 shines is the weight and is fantastic in low light. The turrets are also really tactile and audible. You could not go wrong with an MK 5.

Last edited:
I love the Steiner turrets. But. I, too would try to save a little more and jump into the Razor or the Mark 5.

JFR