• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bushnell Legend, Elite or Vortex Viper Spotting Scope? (all 20-60x80)

Bangarang

NRA Life Member
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2013
NH
I'm looking for recommendations and / or opinions on the following spotters:

Bushnell Legend 20-60x80 Ultra HD w ED Prime glass, BaK4 prisms, Rainguard coating ~$470

Vortex Viper 20-60x80 w XD glass, XR & Armortek coatings (also HD???) now ~$500 (up till recently ~$750)

Or is it worth the extra money to step up to a Bushnell Elite 20-60x80 Ultra HD w ED Prime glass, BaK4 porro prisms, Rainguard coating, armored body w retractable sunshade $900?

The reason I'm asking is I've had the opportunity to look through the Viper and it has a lot of CA. Also the depth of field is very short making focusing very time consuming. I was pretty disappointed about how hard it is to see .223 holes at 100 yards in the black NRA SR-1 Service Rifle target with this spotter. I had expected better performance from the Viper.

Would either of the Bushnells perform better? Would the Elite be substantially better than the Viper? The main use will be scoring .223 hits @ 100-300 yards practicing for DCM/CMP matches.

All have good warranties & customer service, so that is not a major consideration. (BTW, The cost of the Vortex Razor is above my budget.)

How about the Viper HD?

The 20-60x80 is about $800. So half the price of the Razor. I just wish Vortex would come out with a reticle eye piece for the Viper HD.

Good suggestion!

Please add the Vortex Viper 20-60x80 HD (~$750) to the above lineup.

BTW, Is there a significant difference in optical quality between the Vortex Viper 20-60x80 and the Vortex Viper 20-60x80 HD?