• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell Tactical 6-24x50 FFP First Impression

TwoGun

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2006
Gilbert, AZ
Just out of morbid curiosity I decided to order one of these from Midway USA for the $699 clearance price. For me it was difficult to believe the reviews of clarity and brightness that I had been reading for that kind of money. So it just arrived and it's a bright and sunny day so I ran out to look at a few 1000yrd away electrical towers to see if this thing really had the goods.

In short answer, the glass is typical mass production. At 15x the chromatic aberration is absurdly obvious and by the time you're at 24x it's so bad it's impossible to focus. My general description for this type of optic is "looking through a window screen". Obviously this isn't the worst window screen I've looked through but it's window screen at 24x none the less.

I'm not disappointed because I expected as much. For those with good eyesight, the scope is unusable. As for the other features, sorry, but if I can't get past the glass, for me the rest is moot.

I'm off to UPS, to get this thing back to Midway.

Re: Bushnell Tactical 6-24x50 FFP First Impression

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Would you take a few 'through the scope' pics first?

That sucks, maybe got a bad one? Since you're sending it back to midway any idea what you want to replace it with?

Flyingbullseye

I purchased the model lowlight reviewed and looking through it side by side with my nightforce I can say its very comparable. Now whether I got one of the best ones, that could be but I am very impressed.

At 12x, the aberration isn't all that apparent unless your looking at a really white object. Aberration shows up easiest looking at white because you have the entire light frequency coming back at you and so every wave length is represented. So the 12x might not be bad. Above 15x is difficult to get right.

I probably should take the time to take some photos with the D90 before I send this off so you have a good idea what 20x looks like through a NXS vs. this scope. I might do that if I have the time tomorrow.

Appreciate your review, As I've been contemplating purchasing one. I think I'll put that idea on hold for the time being.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Would you take a few 'through the scope' pics first? </div></div>
You do realize that even the sharpest through-the-scope photos never provide accurate representations of image quality and color rendition of a scope, right?

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I probably should take the time to take some photos with the D90 before I send this off so you have a good idea what 20x looks like through a NXS vs. this scope. I might do that if I have the time tomorrow.

</div></div>

I'd love to see some pics. I almost bought one of these ( I got tired of buying NXS') but ended up getting on LO's waiting list for a PST.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You do realize that even the sharpest through-the-scope photos never provide accurate representations of image quality and color rendition of a scope, right?

Keith </div></div>

Keith raises a good point, but A-B pics, side-by-side, same subject, same light, same aperture, same shutter speed, same focal length are good for reference. My point is that scope pics are not completely without value.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: "TwoGun"</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
For those with good eyesight, the scope is unusable.</div></div>

Bullshit.

cant speak for the op's scope, but my 6x24 is much better that what the op described . and yes i have/do own , mk4, nf , uso .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264win</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cant speak for the op's scope, but my 6x24 is much better that what the op described . and yes i have/do own , mk4, nf , uso .
</div></div>

He either got a bad scope (not out of the question), or he's being very disingenuous.

I'm voting for the latter given his tone.

I own an IOR and a NF, and have had other NF scopes.

I wouldn't put Bushnell glass in that category, and any expectations of it being in that class are erroneous (as one particular poster noted).

But I will put it up against anything under $1000, and am sure it will stand up well (I also own a SS 3-9x, and the Bushnell compete very well).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264win</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cant speak for the op's scope, but my 6x24 is much better that what the op described . and yes i have/do own , mk4, nf , uso .
</div></div>

He either got a bad scope (not out of the question), or he's being very disingenuous.

I wouldn't put Bushnell glass in that category, and any expectations of it being in that class are erroneous (as one particular poster noted).

But I will put it up against anything under $1000, and am sure it will stand up well (I also own a SS 3-9x, and the Bushnell compete very well). </div></div>

Agreed. I know the glass is damn close to the Leupold VX-III, which from my understanding is the exact glass as they use in the Mark 4 (dont own one to compare). VX-III/Mark 4 glass is plenty good. Some claim their 4200's perform better than their VX-III's....my eyes aren't good enough to discern either way.

I have this scope on my Sako Quad. I have good vision. I find the scope to be quite usable and I am happy with the purchase.

I bought the same Bushnell. I thought the glass was pretty dam good. I was hoping the glass to be good and expecting the glass to be okay. Very happy with the Bushnell scope. For the money when on sale. I think I cut a fat cat on the deal. Just as good as any 1000 scope and under.

Sounds like you got a bad one. I bought one and liked it so much, I got another. I own USO and NF, and I thought the Bushnell was very nice - enough to buy another.

BTW, if you're planning on taking pics, I hope you have a REALLY nice SLR camera (or more) to even begin to capture the true clarity (which isn't possible using a camera).

Every one I know that owns this scope.. has 2 or is planning on getting another one.

edit, I'm thinking of the 2.5-16

I have a 11 year old Bausch & Lomb 4200 Elite 6x24x40mm .Had a 7 year old 4x16x40mm Bushnell 4200 elite. Their glass is/was better then their current 6500 elites. Had a 4.5x30x50MM its glass was fuzzy at 200yds shooting at 1"bench rest squares. I have a 2.5x16 x50mm. I keep that cause its low end is great for coyotes buts its glass is also inferior to the older 4200s I have/had.

I have 2 of the 3-12 and 1 with 1 on the way of the 6-24 and so far I think the glass is on par with a 2 LeupoldVIII and the MK4 on my wifes rifle. I can't compare it to a NF or USO because I hav 3 daughters with 1 in college so I can't blow that much on toys. But I don't think they can be beat for the money and a little more. I do wish Burris would get off the dime and start producing a FFP mil/mil because they are my favorite scope beause they IMO are the toughest. Look at it this way, look at how much more range time you can get if you buy a Bush over a Leu,NF, USO, Swar, ETC ETC ETC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bozcoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get these through natches right now wor $425 shipped </div></div>

Link? All I see is for the 1" MOA versions of this scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bozcoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get these through natches right now wor $425 shipped </div></div>

No, you cannot get the 6-24x50 4200 Elite FFP Mil/Mil for $425. You COULD have bought it for $625 when it was in stock, but they are gone now.

To help you out, here's the scope being discussed: http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cfm?co...atte%20Finished

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bozcoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get these through natches right now wor $425 shipped </div></div>

No, you cannot get the 6-24x50 4200 Elite FFP Mil/Mil for $425. You COULD have bought it for $625 when it was in stock, but they are gone now.

To help you out, here's the scope being discussed: http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cfm?co...atte%20Finished </div></div>

got the last one!!

Like i just said I got the last one of dirty natchez however...
after opening I noticed that the mount for the elevation knob was off center. it was a whole click (.1 mil) to the right. I'm lucky enough to live in the kansas city area and could take the scope to their factory repair place my self. once there discussed my issue with the front counter lady she informed me that it would be a four day wait. I expressed my dissatisfaction with that timeline so she bumped it to the front of the repair line and it was fixed in 20 min. Badass right? I jump in my car ready to head home with my new scope right, nope I take one last look and notice that those goons put a windage knob on the elevation. I went back and the guy switched it. Maybe its just me but when you buy a product you expect perfection and not some bush-league halfass product. I would just think that I got a bad one however I had issues with my old 3200 with the knobs slowly being off as they rotated around the turret. so buyer beware these can be hit or miss!

TwoGun,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those with good eyesight, the scope is unusable. </div></div>

Could you elaborate on this. I have a buddy who can see if a deer is good from a mile with the un-aided eye. He uses Tasco 4-16X's on his 7STW and his .340 Wea Mark V.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Old man now</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TwoGun,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those with good eyesight, the scope is unusable. </div></div>

Could you elaborate on this. I have a buddy who can see if a deer is good from a mile with the un-aided eye. He uses Tasco 4-16X's on his 7STW and his .340 Wea Mark V. </div></div>

He bought a Bushnell expecting a Nightforce, and now he has sand in his vagina about it.

Nothing to see here but pure douchebaggery.

I'm sorry for those who got their feelings hurt. If I had your addresses, I could send you a box of tissue.

I have very good eyesight 20/15 and above average color acuity. The trade off for that is poor night vision. I am used to looking at things in a perfect way. I'm also extremely sensitive to collimation. For those that look at the world in a blur, this does not pertain to you. Because I don't look at the world in a blur, it's quite distressing when I look through a scope and cannot get it focused to my 20/15. My brain therefore ties to compensate and puts strain on my eyes in an attempt to focus because I know what that looks like. I just can't look at blurred stuff for very long just as I can't look through poor collimated binoculars for very long.

It's interesting because I suppose most have no clue. It's the same with color blindness. Not everyone can experience what Swarovski is capable of doing when it comes to contrast.

Here's what chromatic aberration does. It's very difficult to get correct apparently because I've never looked through anything high power Bushnell that has ever been "not window screen".

Chromatic_aberration_%28comparison%29.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration

I wasn't expecting Nightforce; I was expecting Bushnell and that's what I got. For anyone to put this scope at that level by comparison, cannot tell the difference. That's not meant to be disrespectful, it's just a fact.

It's sort of the same thing with intelligent people. Only intelligent people can recognize intelligence. Everyone else is just guessing. That's not meant as an insult because I firmly believe that ignorance is bliss.

No need to get pissed at the OP.
He is giving his opinion on this scope. If that bothers you it is likely that it offends the money you have invested in this scope.

It is likely you could put the crosshairs where you want to with this scope regardless of it's bird-watching capabilities. I don't have one but it may perform fine for dialing too, etc.

The OP obviously puts a high standard on his scope's glass because of his superior vision.
Other folks may do the same so they can stroke themselves while enjoying the clarity of their scopes.
Other folks might like the weight savings with scopes like this with inferior glass. Real good glass seems to add substantially to a scopes weight.

Anyways, I appreciate the OP's opinion for what its worth.

The OP is obviously quite high on himself, so obviously for him nothing but the best optical quality will do for his super amazing eyesight and the rest of us can not even comprehend his visual world. We poor sub par villagers can only use the scope because our ignorance and defective color blind eyeballs allow us to.

That clears it up for me.

wink.gif

TwoGun,

If you elect to return through Bushnell for the money-back guarantee let me know and I will have it expedited for you as I would be extremely interested in seeing the scope that you received so I could put it through our testing procedures here at the office.

I haven't seen the problem you are describing, or been alerted to it, but it doesn't mean that there isn't one that falls through 2 QA checks: one at the factory and one here in Kansas.

If you are willing to send it in for me to evaluate, thus allowing me an opportunity to correct a possible problem I would send you out a pre-paid UPS label.

Thanks,

Jeff Redding
Product Manager--Riflescopes
Bushnell

im a stickin ta USO........
then others
in that order

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grendel 6.5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TwoGun,

If you elect to return through Bushnell for the money-back guarantee let me know and I will have it expedited for you as I would be extremely interested in seeing the scope that you received so I could put it through our testing procedures here at the office.

I haven't seen the problem you are describing, or been alerted to it, but it doesn't mean that there isn't one that falls through 2 QA checks: one at the factory and one here in Kansas.

If you are willing to send it in for me to evaluate, thus allowing me an opportunity to correct a possible problem I would send you out a pre-paid UPS label.

Thanks,

Jeff Redding
Bushnell </div></div>

I would love to hear the results of this. I bet the OP doesn't take you up on it though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grendel 6.5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TwoGun,

Thanks,

Jeff Redding
Bushnell </div></div>
Well there you go. You certainly can't ask for anything better than that.
Two thumbs up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sorry for those who got their feelings hurt. If I had your addresses, I could send you a box of tissue.

I have very good eyesight 20/15 and above average color acuity. The trade off for that is poor night vision. I am used to looking at things in a perfect way. I'm also extremely sensitive to collimation. For those that look at the world in a blur, this does not pertain to you. Because I don't look at the world in a blur, it's quite distressing when I look through a scope and cannot get it focused to my 20/15. My brain therefore ties to compensate and puts strain on my eyes in an attempt to focus because I know what that looks like. I just can't look at blurred stuff for very long just as I can't look through poor collimated binoculars for very long.

It's interesting because I suppose most have no clue. It's the same with color blindness. Not everyone can experience what Swarovski is capable of doing when it comes to contrast.

Here's what chromatic aberration does. It's very difficult to get correct apparently because I've never looked through anything high power Bushnell that has ever been "not window screen".

Chromatic_aberration_%28comparison%29.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chromatic_aberration_%28comparison%29.jpg

I wasn't expecting Nightforce; I was expecting Bushnell and that's what I got. For anyone to put this scope at that level by comparison, cannot tell the difference. That's not meant to be disrespectful, it's just a fact.

It's sort of the same thing with intelligent people. Only intelligent people can recognize intelligence. Everyone else is just guessing. That's not meant as an insult because I firming believe that ignorance is bliss.

</div></div>

When I read your OP, I thought maybe you were being too critical. Then I read this post and maybe now I understand. My vision sucks! I have astigmatism in both eyes. I wear contacts when shooting cause I can't seem to get a proper cheek weld with glasses on. When I compare glass on scopes, I have a hard time telling any difference on scopes that have pretty decent glass. I have a Bushnell 6-24 FFP and a Vortex Razor 5-20. I've also had MK4's, NXS, and IOR's and I really can't tell much difference in any of them. I never really thought about it but I guess looking thru contacts would have to inhibit my ablilty to see like you are talking about. Another good reason for me to have lasik!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's sort of the same thing with intelligent people. Only intelligent people can recognize intelligence. Everyone else is just guessing. That's not meant as an insult because I firming believe that ignorance is bliss.</div></div>Ironic that they don't equally recognise arrogance and condescension.
I'm just sayin...

Thanks,

Jeff Redding
Bushnell </div></div>

Thank you, sir. I private messaged my address to you. I sent it twice because it wasn't showing up in my message box. If you don't get it, send me a PM or post that you didn't get it here. Much appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grendel 6.5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TwoGun,

Thanks,

Jeff Redding
Bushnell </div></div>

Thank you, sir. I private messaged my address to you. I sent it twice because it wasn't showing up in my message box. If you don't get it, send me a PM or post that you didn't get it here. Much appreciated. </div></div>

I stand corrected. Well, maybe.
cool.gif

Just my .02 reguarding Bushnell. Recently got a 4200 Elite tactical in 3x12 FFP mil/mil. I hadn't realize the hash marks on the turrets and scope body were so dark. I could hardly see them on an overcast day at the range. I posted asking for input and Jeff from Bushnell PM'd that he had some turrets with tan hash marks and that he would send me a set. So far I'm very happy with the scope and especially the customer service I've recieved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iron Worker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 11 year old Bausch & Lomb 4200 Elite 6x24x40mm .Had a 7 year old 4x16x40mm Bushnell 4200 elite. Their glass is/was better then their current 6500 elites. Had a 4.5x30x50MM its glass was fuzzy at 200yds shooting at 1"bench rest squares. I have a 2.5x16 x50mm. I keep that cause its low end is great for coyotes buts its glass is also inferior to the older 4200s I have/had. </div></div>

I too have a Bausch & Lomb Elite 4200 6-24x40mm Multi-X reticle I bought in '96 (#40-6244M made in Japan by Light Optical Works for B&L). Very nice glass.... my only nit is the limited 26 MOA elevation adjustment range. Always wished it had more....

Just picked up a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 Mil-Dot too for an inexpensive .223 SB2 Ultra. Another solid scope although obviously the glass isn't in the same class as my vintage B&L has. At least it has an 80 MOA range
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BaileyMoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I know the glass is damn close to the Leupold VX-III, which from my understanding is the exact glass as they use in the Mark 4 (dont own one to compare). VX-III/Mark 4 glass is plenty good. Some claim their 4200's perform better than their VX-III's....my eyes aren't good enough to discern either way. </div></div>

I also have a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x50 Long Range Tactical Matte Mil-Dot (#51668) I bought in '95. The factory has confirmed that it is indeed the predecessor to the current Mark 4 (#54560). But keep in mind that the VX3 has a USMC wire reticle instead of the Mark 4's "round dot" etched glass. Target knobs instead of M1. And Multicoat-4 coatings which is several generations behind the current coatings on the Mark 4. Figure 90% throughput vs 95%. Otherwise the same (e.g. 100 MOA adjustment range, etc.). That said my old tube is one I won't be parting with any time soon
smile.gif

I haven't done a comparo between the two but suffice it to say that both the VX3 Tactical and the B&L Elite 4200 have great glass
smile.gif

Whats that commercial "I have special eyes they can't have my brand". Well I compared it to a NF today and I will say NF has better glass but it didn't seem that much better but then again I don't have special eyes. If a Bushy is all you can afford and still be able to shoot and shoot some more buy the Bushy because trigger time is the most important aspect of our sport. Oh but I do love the reticle on the NF and the knobs maybe after I get my 3 daughters threw college in 10 year I will buy one.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n3dRaEpDruw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n3dRaEpDruw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: juliomorris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats that commercial "I have special eyes they can't have my brand". Well I compared it to a NF today and I will say NF has better glass but it didn't seem that much better but then again I don't have special eyes. If a Bushy is all you can afford and still be able to shoot and shoot some more buy the Bushy because trigger time is the most important aspect of our sport. </div></div>

damn, you kinda beat me to it. I was looking for it when you posted this.

Well said. Even if I could afford one I probably would not purchase a USO. Better to spend that money in ammmunition/reloading for shooting-technique development and practice. I've noted too many shooters of late who sluprge on the highest end equipment money can buy, yet shoot the lowest scores. Their usual argument is the equipment gives them confidence. But the old lessons remain-there can be no substitute for practice. Bells and whistles do not win shooting matches.

My Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x-50mm will consistenly hold sub-0.25 MOA groups (If I do my part, wind cooperates, etc.). I have a hard time believing a USO would do better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264win</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cant speak for the op's scope, but my 6x24 is much better that what the op described . and yes i have/do own , mk4, nf , uso .
</div></div>

But I will put it up against anything under $1000, and am sure it will stand up well (I also own a SS 3-9x, and the Bushnell compete very well). </div></div>

Zeiss Conquest scopes are well under $1000.00 and from my views behind the two scopes the Zeiss's optics are much much better than Bushnells and the Zeiss Conquest optics are just about on par with my USO SSDS 3.5-15x44 scope. Zeiss optics even on their cheaper scopes are leagues beyond Bushnell any day of the week.

From what I can see to get the same features on a Zeiss that you have on the Bushy you will pay considerably more. At least if you shop optics planet. But yes Zeiss is a great scope I don't own any so I can't compare them. But to each his own Bushy alows me to get a good scope without breaking te bank and I have more money to spend on ammo.

Well, I'm still waiting on Bushnell to get the scope back for testing. Supposedly, Bushnell sent a UPS label out to me on the 17th but I have received nothing. Just thought you all should know.

Here's another thread with some photos of the chromatic aberration (the red halo around the target). They are of another scope not mine. I think the camera is amplifying the aberration because mine doesn't look as bad as that with the naked eye.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2398162&#Post2398162

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I'm still waiting on Bushnell to get the scope back for testing. Supposedly, Bushnell sent a UPS label out to me on the 17th but I have received nothing. Just thought you all should know.

Here's another thread with some photos of the chromatic aberration (the red halo around the target). They are of another scope not mine. I think the camera is amplifying the aberration because mine doesn't look as bad as that with the naked eye.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2398162&#Post2398162 </div></div>

These are the pictures your speaking about: What red halo??? Or am I missing something??????

24X
P2190120.jpg

12X

P2190121.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These are the pictures your speaking about: What red halo??? Or am I missing something??????

24X</div></div>

Grow a pair...(eyes 20/20 that is). Can't you see that big red aberration around white paper
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif