• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell Turret Swap Help

Drummerjay08

Short Action Super-Freak
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2012
TN
Ok I know Hank Lee posted a question similar to this about his Falcon Menace scope and I've searched the forums and can't find anything else on it so maybe you guys can help. I recently purchased a Bushnell Elite Tactical 10x40 with Mil-dot reticle and MOA turrets. I really wish I had gotten the MRAD turrets (woops!). So is there any way I can change out the turrets instead of buying a new scope? Or am I screwed
shocked.gif

Re: Bushnell Turret Swap Help

Don't believe you can change it out. Also doubt bushnell would do it. Sell it locally and by the one with matching turrets.

Yeah, its not the turrets that make the travel of adjustment, they jus measure it. If you put mil turrets on it would still only make moa adjustments. Its internal components that make the adjustment.

The more I think about it the more I wonder why I even asked such a question lol. Makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like I'll be selling a scope, locally of course since I'm a noob here with <100 posts lol.

I don't mean to bump this thread but I wanted to let you guys know what I found out. I shot Bushnell an email and asked if it was possible to do this turret swap. The rep replied by saying that Bushnell doesn't do any aftermarket turret swaps on their scopes but it CAN be done. Even though they sell this model scope with factory .1 MIL adjustments they still classify swapping my .25 MOA adjustments as an "aftermarket" upgrade. Since it IS possible. I might just try it lol.

I'm thinking that maybe the Bushnell employee that answered your email may be mis informed. The turret itself has nothing to do with the internal adjustment, it only let's you make the adjustment and show you how much adjustment you made. The internals of the scope would have to be changed and I don't know if that can be done.

I realize that the turret isn't what makes the adjustments, but the mechanism inside the scope. What I am hoping is that the gears in the scope can be swapped to give the correct adjustment value per click. But what about the threads inside the turrets. Do they have a specific TPI for MOA and a different TPI for MIL? If so that poses another problem. If it's just a matter of swapping gears I'm all for it to have MIL/MIL but if it's much more complicated than that I think I'll just stick with what I have and learn it until it's etched into my mind like the reticle in my scope lol.

I don't think the turrets themselves are specific other than how they're marked. I would think that what allows the turret to engage the adjustment mechanism is the screw that you tighten the turret down with.

Do you think a gear swap would do the trick then?

Sure, you may be able to do it:

if they didn't glue the turrets
if you have the tools to do the job
if you have a clean room to do the job in
IF you have the equipment to nitrogen purge the scope when you are done

My suggestion is SELL THE SCOPE BEFORE YOU DICK IT UP then buy the scope you want. It would be a big job if you knew what you were doing. Since you are going into it blind I can almost guarantee you are going to jack that scope up and void the warranty.

It's not a "gear swap" like a transmission or rear end. The thread pitch on the turrets is different between the two. Try to see if Bushnell will even sell you the parts. Having them machined to the degree of accuracy you need would be WAY more than the cost of a new scope.

LoneWolf I'm glad there are people like you on here lol. I'm a big DIYer and sometimes I try to tackle things "out of my league" so it's nice to have folks like you to put me in my place and remind me I can't do it all all the time lol. As for the poor mans way that actually sounds pretty good even though I'll still have the exact same click value. On to the label maker and figuring out the spacing to get it to line up right!

Thanks Pat. Interesting but not really what I'm looking for. They don't have knobs listed for my scope model either. I have the ET 10x40. Good stuff there though. anyone else wanna chime in with custom turret manufacturer links?

Most scope companys will sell you extra or blank knobs - then a laser engraver would be very handy

Wouldn't it be nice if scope manufacturers made quick change parts so anyone could change from Mil/MOA to MOA/Mil to Mil/Mil to MOA/MOA for any shooting purpose or situation lol. Oh shat I just opened a new market! Yeah right lol.

The problem with that is the internals of a rifle scope are in a sealed environment. You may be able to make one like that, but I have a feeling it would be ridiculously expensive.

I don't think we are far off on user selectable reticles. I think you will see internal programmable hold points before you see quick change mechanical turrets.

There are a couple of scopes out now that lase a target and show you the correct hold point. That pretty much makes spinning a turret on that scope obsolete other than initial zero.

I see how that is a problem. Another thought: what if a scope were designed with a two piece main tube (one piece containing the objective lens, bell and all components back to the front of the turret block and the other containing everything from the back of the turret block to the ocular lens) that could be detached from the turret block for interchanging of a different turret block with different adjustments. I guess you'd still have the problem of keeping debris out when interchanging blocks but it would be better than removing and interchanging parts from inside the block. Again this is just another "what if" and I'm rambling but it would be really neat to see something like this come to market. I dont know how big the demand would be for something like that but it sure would be hell-a-cool.