• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell Vs. Sightron SIII 6-24x50

DropZone

Shooter
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2006
Nebraska
www.chamberscustom.com
Any thoughts on pros and cons of one verses the other? I have heard great things about the Sightron and had just made up my mind to get one after seeing them in person at SHOT, then saw the Bushnell on line (have not seen one in person)...your opinions are welcome.

Regards,
Joe

Re: Bushnell Vs. Sightron SIII 6-24x50

Both scopes are great, I am one of those guys who like the basic mil-dot reticle. I have never had an issue with my sightron scopes and never had an issue with the bushnell, (I only own one bushnell)
I have tested the sightron optics with great success and have yet to get some serious time on the bushnell (Reviews for both are great) for the money its hard to beat either. Get which ever one meets your needs better. Glass in both is great so I doubt you will be upset with either purchase.

sightron siii has AS GOOD if not BETTER glass than a nightforce....but you give up in build robustness...so if you want a scope to take to the range with you and some light woods duty....then 100% go with the sightron

I don't know what price point you are looking at but I have had cheaper bushnells on hunting rifles--they were great for what they were. I have a Sightron SIII 6-24 on a 700 and it is the best optic I have, and I have a Mark 4--I think the SIII is better. I really like the MOA-2 reticle.

I wouldn't say that the glass on the Sightron is better than nightforce, but perhaps close to some people.

The Bushnell does not have as much adjustment range as the Sightron

The Sightron has better "clicks" adjustments

The Bushnell has a lot better reticles, FFP, Illumination..

If you exclude the new HDMR Bushnell, I believe that both Sightron and Bushnell are both equal in terms of durability

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The Sightron has better "clicks" adjustments

</div></div>

This is a fact--the firm positive clicks of the Sightron are excellent. So much so that the Mark 4 is mushy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sightron siii has AS GOOD if not BETTER glass than a nightforce....but you give up in build robustness...so if you want a scope to take to the range with you and some light woods duty....then 100% go with the sightron </div></div>

I agree. Above 20X, the SIII glass outperforms.

Sightron has a 20X fixed that is a fantastic scope for the money (if that works for you).
I mounted it on a 260 F-Class rifle and the optics look pretty much the same as my 5-25PMII S&Bs rather than a $550.00 scope it is. Not only that, but it has 150 MOA internal adjustment.
They also have a fixed 16X.

My buddy has one of those huge 10X50X60 Sightron scopes o a 6mmbr F-Class rifle and while at first I laughed at it I have to admit the scope is no joke and tracks perfectly despite 1/8 MOA turrets. Three years of service and it continues to serve him well.

If you are going tactical, or are going to take the rifle into the field, spend the money and get a Nightforce.

Great points from all! Thank you for the thoughts and keep them coming as I'm soaking it all in right now. The general consensus seems to be go for the Sightron SIII. That is what I thought it would be in the end. Ya, the Bushnell is a few bucks less as far as my cost goes, but, that is not the end all be all answer.

I know the NF is a great scope as they have resided in my safe previously, however, I am faced with the dilemma of needing more than one scope (2-3 right now for different projects) and as goofy as it probably sounds, I'd pretty much like to standardize. While buying 2-3 NF's would be nice, it's not very economically practical right now if you know what I mean.

At least one of the rifles this is going on will hopefully be used for some F class shooting as well as some yotes and pdogs around here. Any thoughts regarding the SIII whether the 6-24 or the 8-32 is better? I have heard and read the 8-32 looses a little clarity at higher power...thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you kindly again for the advice.

Regards,
Joe

I also decided to standardize. I have two Sightron 10X50X60 scopes. One on a 6BR and the other on a 338 Lapua. I run both at 50 power most of the time. The clarity is great and sometimes I wish I had even more magnification. That's why I didn't go with Nightforce.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supermag99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also decided to standardize. I have two Sightron 10X50X60 scopes. One on a 6BR and the other on a 338 Lapua. I run both at 50 power most of the time. The clarity is great and sometimes I wish I had even more magnification. That's why I didn't go with Nightforce. </div></div>

How do you deal with the mirage?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DropZone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great points from all! Thank you for the thoughts and keep them coming as I'm soaking it all in right now. The general consensus seems to be go for the Sightron SIII. That is what I thought it would be in the end. Ya, the Bushnell is a few bucks less as far as my cost goes, but, that is not the end all be all answer.

I know the NF is a great scope as they have resided in my safe previously, however, I am faced with the dilemma of needing more than one scope (2-3 right now for different projects) and as goofy as it probably sounds, I'd pretty much like to standardize. While buying 2-3 NF's would be nice, it's not very economically practical right now if you know what I mean.

At least one of the rifles this is going on will hopefully be used for some F class shooting as well as some yotes and pdogs around here. Any thoughts regarding the SIII whether the 6-24 or the 8-32 is better? I have heard and read the 8-32 looses a little clarity at higher power...thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you kindly again for the advice.

Regards,
Joe

</div></div>

i can help here. i am about to order a third 6-24x50 SIII. I also have an 8-32x56 SIII.

I have checked out the bushnell at the range, and compared it to the SIII, and IMO there isnt a comparison. even at 100yds the SIII was noticeably clearer. I was looking at both at 24x.

i was also able to A-B it to a NF NSX 5-25 and we couldnt tell a difference, at least not at 100yds.

the turrets on the SIII are outstanding. they are an audible and tactile click that you can feel through medium weight gloves.

to save a few dollars, submit a pricematch to swfa.com and use www.theammozone.com or www.manventureoutpost.com for your source sites. they both have the SIII 6-24x50 listed for just under $700.

concerning the 8-32x56. about the 28/28-32 range it does get a little darker, but i am not concerned. i dont have any comparison with another scope with that high of magnification. i just attribute that to the high magnification and it not being a S&B / premier.

as far as choosing between the two, unless you think that you'll need the extra magnification, id get the 6-24 for the extra adjustment. the 32x is extremely nice for staring a prairie dog directly in the eye at 400yds.

let me know if you need some more info or want some pictures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i can help here. i am about to order a third 6-24x50 SIII. I also have an 8-32x56 SIII.

I have checked out the bushnell at the range, and compared it to the SIII, and IMO there isnt a comparison. even at 100yds the SIII was noticeably clearer. I was looking at both at 24x.

i was also able to A-B it to a NF NSX 5-25 and we couldnt tell a difference, at least not at 100yds.

the turrets on the SIII are outstanding. they are an audible and tactile click that you can feel through medium weight gloves.

to save a few dollars, submit a pricematch to swfa.com and use www.theammozone.com or www.manventureoutpost.com for your source sites. they both have the SIII 6-24x50 listed for just under $700.

concerning the 8-32x56. about the 28/28-32 range it does get a little darker, but i am not concerned. i dont have any comparison with another scope with that high of magnification. i just attribute that to the high magnification and it not being a S&B / premier.

as far as choosing between the two, unless you think that you'll need the extra magnification, id get the 6-24 for the extra adjustment. the 32x is extremely nice for staring a prairie dog directly in the eye at 400yds.

let me know if you need some more info or want some pictures. </div></div>

Raider,

Thanks for the great info sir. I don't really have a need for the 8-32 so will probably pass on that.

Can you tell me, do you have the LRMD version? Or something else in the 6-24? I am going to put one on a rifle that is being built for F Class/varmint shooting and the other on a custom .260 I got and was slightly concerned that the mil dot might be a bit much for F Class even though I am used to it from several other scopes I currently have.

I had been considering a LRMOA but it seems very "cluttered" perhaps...

Thoughts guys?

Regards,
Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DropZone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Raider,

Thanks for the great info sir. I don't really have a need for the 8-32 so will probably pass on that.

Can you tell me, do you have the LRMD version? Or something else in the 6-24? I am going to put one on a rifle that is being built for F Class/varmint shooting and the other on a custom .260 I got and was slightly concerned that the mil dot might be a bit much for F Class even though I am used to it from several other scopes I currently have.

Thoughts guys?

Regards,
Joe </div></div>

I wanted uniformity between all of them so that when i was out, i would be able to change between rifles and not have to think about what reticle and adjustments needed to be made. I have the 1/4MOA Long Range Mil-Dot reticles. This way i have just one system to learn without having to sell all of them to switch over.

I bought my first one before the mil/mil and the moa/moa were available. I have looked through the MOA reticle, but it didn't seem especially cluttered. The hash marks seemed to be about the same height as the mildots. If i was doing it over again, id get matching clicks and reticles. mildot or moa it doesn't matter.

I dont think its cluttered. Take a look at the SWFA page, not the sightron one with the extra description marks.

http://swfa.com/Sightron-6-24x50-SIII-30mm-Riflescope-P48419.aspx

like i said before. be sure to do a pricematch if you want to get it from swfa, theammozone has this same scope for 768 irrc.

any more questions?

I have the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 and love it. I find it to be very clear and it tracks superbly. I don't shoot tactical matches so I wasn't worried about something I could hammer on or use to range. I would certainly purchase another one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cb_tikka</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supermag99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also decided to standardize. I have two Sightron 10X50X60 scopes. One on a 6BR and the other on a 338 Lapua. I run both at 50 power most of the time. The clarity is great and sometimes I wish I had even more magnification. That's why I didn't go with Nightforce. </div></div>

How do you deal with the mirage? </div></div>

It's not easy, I try to "read" the mirage. While using less magnification may seem to eliminate the mirage - it really doesn't. It's still there and you can no longer use the information it provides to your advantage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DropZone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

let me know if you need some more info or want some pictures. </div></div>

Raider,

Thoughts guys?

Regards,
Joe</div></div>

If using for F-class, I HIGHLY recommend giving the target dot reticle a try. I had a 6-24X50 LRD (target dot) and it was excellent for shooting at paper. I have the LRMOA now, and while it's a more versatile reticle, the target dot was better for known distance shooting at paper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If using for F-class, I HIGHLY recommend giving the target dot reticle a try. I had a 6-24X50 LRD (target dot) and it was excellent for shooting at paper. I have the LRMOA now, and while it's a more versatile reticle, the target dot was better for known distance shooting at paper. </div></div>

Lenny,

Thanks for the advice. I had seriously considered getting the target dot. But my main concern with that is what if I want to end up using it out here on the "prairie" on occasion to shoot pdogs and yotes...not sure the target dot is best for that...

Dang...perhaps I just buy one of each and be done with it!?

Regards,
Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DropZone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If using for F-class, I HIGHLY recommend giving the target dot reticle a try. I had a 6-24X50 LRD (target dot) and it was excellent for shooting at paper. I have the LRMOA now, and while it's a more versatile reticle, the target dot was better for known distance shooting at paper. </div></div>

Lenny,

Thanks for the advice. I had seriously considered getting the target dot. But my main concern with that is what if I want to end up using it out here on the "prairie" on occasion to shoot pdogs and yotes...not sure the target dot is best for that...

Dang...perhaps I just buy one of each and be done with it!?

Regards,
Joe </div></div>

id get the mildot as its finer in the center, but thats just me.