• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bushnell Warranty? Lol

just browsing

overkill is underrated
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 18, 2017
    NE PA
    Have a set of 15x Forge Binos that I’ve had for about 2 years. Absolutely loved them.

I recently had my tripod blow over on a concrete pad (it was really windy and the tripod caddy served as a parachute of sorts). Binos hit hard, broke the stud for mounting them. Didn’t think anything of it so I submitted a warranty request, boxed them up, and sent them out.

Went through the warranty process as normal. Got them back about 2 weeks later. Stud was fixed but it came with the attached note. Basically said “the prisms and focus mechanism are trashed… too costly to repair, but here you can buy a new set for $400.” Sure enough, look through them and they don’t focus properly.

Fine print on the warranty reads:
    “This warranty does not cover cosmetic damage; damage caused by failing to properly maintain the product; loss; theft; damage as a result of unauthorized repair, modification, or disassembly; intentional damage, misuses, or abuse.”

You can read the full thing here:

What I’m failing to understand is where “wind blowing a tripod over” would be included in any of the above verbiage. At least these were sub $500 Binos. I’d hate for the same BS to happen to someone with one of the new XRS3s.

Anyway, let it be a word of caution… sure as hell makes you appreciate companies like Vortex and others that will replace stuff no questions asked.

Attachments

• 2D98279E-A26A-475E-96C4-B67855AFA1B2.jpeg
      2D98279E-A26A-475E-96C4-B67855AFA1B2.jpeg
      519.1 KB · Views: 184
    • 7E437CAE-4CBA-49EB-96A8-46A78A6261B0.jpeg
      7E437CAE-4CBA-49EB-96A8-46A78A6261B0.jpeg
      724.9 KB · Views: 187
    Last edited:
    Have a set of 15x Forge Binos that I’ve had for about 2 years. Absolutely loved them.

I recently had my tripod blow over on a concrete pad (it was really windy and the tripod caddy served as a parachute of sorts). Binos hit hard, broke the stud for mounting them. Didn’t think anything of it so I submitted a warranty request, boxed them up, and sent them out.

Went through the warranty process as normal. Got them back about 2 weeks later. Stud was fixed but it came with the attached note. Basically said “the prisms and focus mechanism are trashed… too costly to repair, but here you can buy a new set for $400.” Sure enough, look through them and they don’t focus properly.

“This warranty does not cover cosmetic damage; damage caused by failing to properly maintain the product; loss; theft; damage as a result of unauthorized repair, modification, or disassembly; intentional damage, misuses, or abuse.”

What I’m failing to understand is where “wind blowing a tripod over” would be included in any of the above verbiage. At least these were sub $500 Binos. I’d hate for the same BS to happen to someone with one of the new XRS3s.

Anyway, let it be a word of caution… sure as hell makes you appreciate companies like Vortex and others that will replace stuff no questions asked.
    you can get these new for 450 with the onx elite discount so the 400$ cost they offered isn't actually that much of a budge of the price. have had something like this happen before with Bushnell. stopped buying their products and transitioned to others for anything expensive. for cheap stuff that you don't care if it gets destroyed its adequate.

I had the same type letter from Bushnell on some Fusion binos. I reached out to the Bushnell rep here on the Hide and he was able to take care of me.

Reactions: Ravenworks
    What I’m failing to understand is where “wind blowing a tripod over” would be included in any of the above verbiage.

“This warranty does not cover cosmetic damage; damage caused by failing to properly maintain the product; loss; theft; damage as a result of unauthorized repair, modification, or disassembly; intentional damage
    , misuses, or abuse.”

Is it Bushnell's fault they blew over? Did they forget to warn you wind can blow things over in the wind when its windy? Those bastards.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I had one of their 15-45 Chinese spotters with the reticle that got blown over just like your binos. It took 4 months and I had to call several times to get them to either send mine back of send me new ones. Sig repaired my Kilo 3000 BDX in two weeks.

Got a game cam of theirs, battery was trending on not lasting a single month, well it was taking a lot of photos so 🤷‍♂️

But we had a rainy day, not a monsoon or anything, just standard issue rainy day, I see a photo and it’s all white, I think did someone spray paint the camera or something? Get home, looks like a little fog, open it and it dumps water. Guess their game cameras are only for looking at indoor deer?

Thankfully I was able to return it, I don’t have really anything of theirs and after that experience I won’t be buying anything from them in the future

Tripod blowing over would be carelessness, and I’d put that in the abuse category. At the very least, your beef is with the tripod manufacturer. That said, the vortex warranty is the best.

Customer damages the product by letting it get smashed on concrete due to their failure to properly secure it.
    Customer gets upset that the warranty doesn't cover misuse or abused items. (Perhaps customer thinks bashing stuff on concrete is a standard use for binoculars?
    Customer whines on the internet.

I'd suggest reaching out again. The reason I say that is that I had the exact same thing happen at the PRS Central Region Finale last year and they sent me a new pair in less than a week. You might reach out to the rep here or one of their pro shooters, they've always been able to help me out.

So how is it people think a life time warranty means you can strap some tannerite to their item blow it to smithereens and expect to get a new one? If something suddenly stops operating properly under normal use I can see a warranty claim. For the vortex fanbois if I smash a razor with a sledge hammer I have a right to expect a new one in the mail but pronto?

So how is it people think a life time warranty means you can strap some tannerite to their item blow it to smithereens and expect to get a new one? If something suddenly stops operating properly under normal use I can see a warranty claim. For the vortex fanbois if I smash a razor with a sledge hammer I have a right to expect a new one in the mail but pronto?

Vortex did this!!!

Lol

The lesson here is that we now need $1,000 carbon fiber ballhead equipped QUADPODS.

Pretty much. Outside of purposefully ruining the optic Vortex pretty much covers most accidents no questions asked. Either way your scenario is not related to the OP, shit happens and unfortunately happened to the OP and they didn't cover it, which sucks. Luckily it's not a super expensive piece of glass.

I'll say I sent an ERS to get checked for tracking without issue. Never had issues from Bushnell but haven't owned many of their products. Two of their higher end optics and a rangefinder. The rangefinder wasn't worth anything. I returned it to the resaler because it was awful. Scopes were fine.

How is a tripod blowing over considered misuse or abuse? How is it equivalent to strapping tannerite on it, spiking them into the ground, or otherwise intentionally damaging them? If them sitting on a tripod on a flat and stable surface isn’t considered normal use and incidental damage then what is?

If that’s considered negligent by warranty standards then what the fuck is the the “lifetime warranty” actually supposed to cover?

And I’ll just add, I’m not a Vortex fanboy by any means. Actually quite the opposite… but at least they understand that shit happens and take care of their customers.

You are responsible for your shit, no one else. If your shit blows over, its your fault, no one else. Falling over and smashing on some concrete is outside of the normal use for binoculars, and is certainly abuse.

So, to surmise, its your fault they were abused, therefore you abused them which is not covered by warranty. Savvy now?

You are responsible for your shit, no one else. If your shit blows over, its your fault, no one else. Falling over and smashing on some concrete is outside of the normal use for binoculars, and is certainly abuse.

So, to surmise, its your fault they were abused, therefore you abused them which is not covered by warranty. Savvy now?

All of what you said makes sense and you’re entitled to think that… but we’re gonna agree to disagree on what constitutes abuse.

And if it takes me eating a pair of $400 binos and people considering that misuse then so be it.

But other folks considering Bushnell products should at least be aware that accidental damage isn’t covered under the warranty. At least they’ll be able to make a more informed decision if warranty is of any consideration.

Reactions: beretta_man11
    I own quite a few higher end Bushnell products and never had problems with service.
    The guys that have problems make threads here and someone from Bushnell comes along and helps.

Or Doug from Camerland will talk to his rep and get you help.
    I've literally seen the above happen many times.

All of what you said makes sense and you’re entitled to think that… but we’re gonna agree to disagree on what constitutes abuse.

And if it takes me eating a pair of $400 binos and people considering that misuse then so be it.

But other folks considering Bushnell products should at least be aware that accidental damage isn’t covered under the warranty. At least they’ll be able to make a more informed decision if warranty is of any consideration.
    Dont take the word abuse so personally. Clearly this falls under misuse. Were you a prior vortex owner? Maybe that spoiled you, as their warranty covers this stuff explicitly? supercorndogs is spot on here.

Dont take the word abuse so personally. Clearly this falls under misuse. Were you a prior vortex owner? Maybe that spoiled you, as their warranty covers this stuff explicitly? supercorndogs is spot on here.

I don’t disagree, but shit happens. Does anyone ever intend for a rifle to get kicked off a conex? I like to think not, and yet I’ve seen it happen more than once.

I’ve seen Burris and Sig stuff go in for warranty because of accidents. They were repaired or replaced without question.

Shit, I’ve seen Nightforce replace one even though their warranty explicitly differentiates “accidental damage, misuse, or abuse.”

Apparently I’m not the only one that doesn’t think accidents fall under either term.

Attachments

• 5F4A72B5-9B5B-4BFF-86B2-2229706E2168.png
      5F4A72B5-9B5B-4BFF-86B2-2229706E2168.png
      989.5 KB · Views: 93
    While it would be nice if the covered it, to me an accident isn't something for warranty work, and it's rarely covered. Now there are always exceptions and some companies are more lenient than others, but I'd guess they are baking that into their pricing.

One thing I've never thought was impressive we see here a lot, is someone will get crappy service, come on here and post it, and once the company finds out, or rep sees it, they get the problem fixed. All I think when that happens is "So if the average customer doesn't come whine on a forum the company is happy to screw them, but if they do, the company helps them out and everyone praises them for their amazing service".

Also I don't think the $400 replacement price the offered is really out of line. Not everyone earned the military discount, and the places I looked were all right around $600, so if it's an accident and I need to replace them I'd rather pay $400 than $600.

All that said, I do think it's important that the finer details of companies warranties are considered in a purchase. Cabelas is a great example, they basically don't cover anything more than 60 days, even their optics. With Cabela's now you can basically assume it has no warranty at all unless it breaks when you take it out of the box.

Maybe Bushnell is trying to be seen as a higher end company, so they figure it's better to warranty less stuff. Anytime someone here brings up that Vortex has a lenient warranty we see lots of posts saying it's because their products are junk. So perhaps Bushnell doesn't want to have the same reputation.

OP If you dont have specific insurance for your sporting goods, check your homeowners or other policies. Maybe its covered or an option you can add in case the OEM warranty is denied.

The OEM is going to eval any catastrophic damage and make a decision about the reasonable risk of the product failing due to defect/design flaw vs an avoidable impact/accident .

The complicating factor here is not just the fall, but being on concrete. Glass dropped on concrete sounds like broken glass to most people. So extra care might be expected by the OEM here.

Its not a jerk move to offer you a discount or pro deal for a replacement, if they legitimately think you have no warranty claim.

Thats actually a industry standard offer/way to help defray some costs to keep you as a customer, knowing your gonna have to eat a big unexpected expense.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the XRS3 and elite tactical stuff is still covered under the old warrant isn't it? I thought the forge and other cheaper lines fall under the new warranty.
    you’re right. The lesson here is, anything other than the elite series is throw away stuff.

Last edited:
    Lesson here is, stay away from anything Bushnell that’s not their elite series.
    Funny thing is, I’ve never had to use a warranty for any elite tactical.

you’re right. The lesson here is, anything other than the elite series is throw away stuff.
    I have used the warranty on the Elite stuff a couple times. I had a bent a turret on an LRHS, replaced no questions asked. They fixed a couple ERS that bound up in the turret zero stop mechanism. I have a 3-12 LRTSi with debris on the lens right now, but I don't want to send it in because I am afraid I wont get it back.

I haven't bought anything Bushnell that was not ET in a long time. I think the last was an ARC1200 or 1600 range finder. It was a turd compared to my Leica 1600B.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Gohring65
    If you want a warranty that covers legitimately anything then Vortex is what you buy,

However with the great unmatched warranty comes the need to use it more often than others

From a past Vortex owner…..

I have used the warranty on the Elite stuff a couple times. I had a bent a turret on an LRHS, replaced no questions asked. They fixed a couple ERS that bound up in the turret zero stop mechanism. I have a 3-12 LRTSi with debris on the lens right now, but I don't want to send it in because I am afraid I wont get it back.
    I’ve used their elite stuff ever since they took over the Bausch and Lomb lines. I’ve never really abused them hard though. I’m a big fan of the elites.

To be clear, my intent in posting this was not to bash Bushnell. Even if the warranty is not 100% clear, ultimately they can do whatever they want. I think *most* manufacturers would probably replace them in good faith, but I digress.

Either way, if people are on the fence between different optics and considering spending a significant amount of money on them, how companies handle their warranties should be a consideration. Color me unimpressed with Bushnell’s specifically. Everyone else can form their own opinions.

Bottom line, I broke them, I’ll pay to replace them… with something other than Bushnell.

OP If you dont have specific insurance for your sporting goods, check your homeowners or other policies. Maybe its covered or an option you can add in case the OEM warranty is denied.

The OEM is going to eval any catastrophic damage and make a decision about the reasonable risk of the product failing due to defect/design flaw vs an avoidable impact/accident .

The complicating factor here is not just the fall, but being on concrete. Glass dropped on concrete sounds like broken glass to most people. So extra care might be expected by the OEM here.

Its not a jerk move to offer you a discount or pro deal for a replacement, if they legitimately think you have no warranty claim.

Thats actually a industry standard offer/way to help defray some costs to keep you as a customer, knowing your gonna have to eat a big unexpected expense.
    Honestly I’m glad it happened with these and not an XRS3… certainly not concerned enough to attempt to go through home insurance or similar avenue.

I do wonder what they would have done if I sent them in and said nothing about how they broke.

Bought a new truck a couple years back, was driving in the rain the other day and I slid into a concrete wall. Drove it back to the dealer and they wouldn’t repair or replace under warranty. Wtf.
    Do you consider sliding into the concrete wall abuse or misuse? Or simply an accident?

If other truck manufacturers did repair or replace it under warranty, would that sway your purchase decision at all for your next one?

Again, just things to consider… nothing more, nothing less.

It’s worth pointing out Leupold’s customer service is good, too. Had a pair of binos bounce off a concrete floor. Discontinued model, so they replaced them with newer/better model free of charge.

OP high end brands will often treat good customers well, and some may even price in 'extended warranty' or 'accident insurance' into their pricing...

A Merely decent quality item breaks, however (simple accident), and sometimes the whole thing needs replacing...no repair option...

This is getting increasingly common infortunately.

Higher end stuff may have repairable designs and spare parts...so the options not always the same...

Best luck either way

You earned the stupid tax. Don't put a wind sail on your tripod when it's windy!

If you think a warranty that's designed for equipment that just stops working should also cover abuse, you're high.

Warranty is for when the manufacturer screws up.

Insurance is what you want when you screw up.

They're cheap binos and they gave you a cheaper than retail option. Can't really ask for more when you're responsible for the damage.

If you have a customer screw up are you going to eat all your profit? Everyone looks at a faceless company, but forgets they have thousands of employees that would rather have a raise than send you free shit.

I’ve used their elite stuff ever since they took over the Bausch and Lomb lines. I’ve never really abused them hard though. I’m a big fan of the elites.
    I'm also a big fan of their Elite line. I have 8 of their Elite's. DMR's and ERS's. Never had a single problem.

Reactions: Gohring65

Sorry, I'd be with Bushnell on this one. Two years and an "act of God"? I'd count my blessins for the two years and go buy another set. JMHO.

Reactions: JohnCarter17
    Notable exceptions being exceptions, warranties typically cover manufacturing defects. Accidental damage is not a defect, it is user negligence.
    I wouldn't call the accident negligence, I'd just call it an accident. And reach into my pocket for some SUCK IT UP and go buy a new one.

obligatory vortex warranty comment
    Ok, fat friend of mine climbed into a rusted tree stand, that he was told was rusted, and it broke under him.

He fell and caught his leg in the ladder and ripped every ligament and tendon in that knee. Long, painful, and only partial recovery.

Vortex Viper also banged down the ladder and was utterly trashed. He sent it back to Vortex, told them exactly how it happened, and just wanted to know if it was fixable and, if so, how much.

In response, a brand new scoped shipped out to him from Vortex.

Now for the obligatory comment that with Vortex you need their warranty.

On the other hand, Bushnell doesn't sound like its solid as a rock AND they seem to not have the same attitude as Vortex wrt to lifetime warranty.

How's that? :cool:

Last edited:
    Just an FYI. Trijicon does not stand behind their products if the electronics fail. Tripower electronics and tritium both failed and was told SORRY we don't warranty those issues.

• Angry
    Reactions: HD1911
    I did something even more stupid to Athlon Cronus 15x56 binos. I dropped them on my garage floor from about 6 feet and they hit right on the edge of the slab and broke in half. I called Athlon and told them exactly what happened, they said send them in, I said I live the same area could I drop them off to save shipping. Sure and if you come in after 9 AM I will take care of them myself. I brought them in at 9:15, talked to the guy and said we will look at them right now and see if we can give them back to you and save a trip. He showed me to their showroom where everything was out that they make for dealers and said we will come to get you. I looked around for 15 or 20 minutes and just as I walked around the corner he said you're all set. It was a brand new pair with both the soft and hard case they come in. I only brought the soft case in with me. You're good to go. I thanked him and I left.

Ok, fat friend of mine climbed into a rusted tree stand, that he was told was rusted, and it broke under him.

He fell and caught his leg in the ladder and ripped very ligament and tendon in that knee. Long, painful, and only partial recovery.

Vortex Viper also banged down the ladder and was utterly trashed. He sent it back to Vortex, told them exactly how it happened, and just wanted to know if it was fixable and, if so, how much.

In response, a brand new scoped shipped out to him from Vortex.

Now for the obligatory comment that with Vortex you need their warranty.

On the other hand, Bushnell doesn't sound like its solid as a rock AND they seem to not have the same attitude as Vortex wrt to lifetime warranty.

How's that? :cool:
    OK, How did you know I am a fat friend? OUCH !!!! My last ladder fall cracked three ribs, I got off light, eh?

I've got two Vortex Vipers, plus a Strike Eagle BDC "for this one" and a Vortex red dot "for that one"......never any casualties, never any complaints!

Have a Hawke that once developed a floater inside.......contacted them, sent it back, got a brand new one in return. Hurrah!

Good to know the Vortex warranty is SO topnotch! Dream of getting a Razor, and THAT will help me decide!

Reactions: Baron23