• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell warranty nonsense

MLC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2004
Solebury, PA
I sent in my 3200 10x because the elevation knob was not functioning correctly.
Once I got out to 600 plus the knob would not track accurately(edited because I forgot to mention windage adjustments also were compromised).
This is with a 243 shooting 95 VLDs on a 20 MOA rail.

The paper work says inspected, tested, meets specs.
I say paperwork because they informed me I could buy a replacement for 162.94!
I see now why people complain about their customer service and hope I never have issues with the 2 HDMR's I have.

Last edited:
That surprises me to hear that. I buy optics from the Bushnell store in Kansas City, and their customer service is always top notch. Hopefully they will get it straightened out.

I had a similar thing happen with a Bushnell Elite 2-6X handgun scope. After about 200 rounds of full power .44 mag, the eye relief abruptly closed down to about 10" (it used to be about 20") and the magnification was about double what it should have been (getting about 4x mag when it was set to 2x). I sent it in for warranty (shipping on me), they sat on it for a month and returned it with a notation on the work order that nothing was done, it meets specs.

So now that Bushnell scope is a potential rifle target, I am out about $300, and Bushnell has lost a customer for life. I am, however, looking forward to seeing what a .308 175SMK will do to it.

I spoke to a CS rep this morning and he told me they put the optics in a collimator and dial the full travel.
My scope allegedly was inspected and passed this test.
I said that I intended to run a test myself, by dialing and shooting on a ruled paper, and would report back.
My intention was to dial the full windage and elevation, dial back to mechanical zero, then zero on a rifle and shoot the test.
I got as far as the windage knob which felt exactly like it did when I sent it in.
IMG_4741.JPG

I had a cheaper Bushy break first time out. Discontinued so it could not be replaced. I asked if I could get
a rangefinder in exchange which they did. It arrived broken also. When I returned it they told me it's my
last and final replacement as if it were my fault. No more Bushy brand for me. I do think their bino's aren't
bad but would NEVER spend big money on a scope.

That sucks, seems like anytime ATK buys a company they get all assed up. Weaver used to have top notch service, not try to get one on the line.

Sell it on the bay and cut your losses.

^^^^^^

ATK is a huge corporation, flush with cash by making ammo for Uncle Sugar, and have diversified to the commercial market via their Sporting Group.

ATK Sporting Group

Their last quarterly report shows they are doing very well compared to last year.

They also have huge aerospace and military divisions.

They are also publicly traded.

Bottom line is the bottom line, as long as they are making $$$ not much else matters. If this all results in a superior product that doesn't need service then no big deal. But if stories like this keep cropping up then I don't believe anything will change. Bushnell is but a drop in the bucket for these guys.

Not to piss in anyone's wheaties, but you are asking a $200 scope to do all the work of a $1000 tactical scope, and then get upset when it doesn't and it isn't replaced?

I agree that maybe they should provide a bit more CS, but it's not as if a scope of this class has much profit margin in it. I know that not everyone can afford the best glass, but we are trying to be precision shooters. We spend much money on our rifles and ammunition, then expect a low dollar scope to top it off. I think it's unrealistic expectations.

I barely could afford to put $1000 glass on mine and am saving up for a better one, but when we have guys show up at the long range practice with scopes that can't cut it, They can't trust their dope or dialing, because the scope is not up for the task. We do our best to recommend that they look into serious glass while trying not to insult them.

As many more experienced and knowledgeable people here have said before, it's not as much the glass quality (perceived or otherwise) that is important as much as the mechanical ability of the scope to be repeatable and robust. You don't get that for nothing.

If you start a sentence with I don't mean to piss in anyone's Wheaties you clearly intend to do so.

A 243 with a 20moa rail isn't asking a whole lot of an optic in terms of elevation dude.
The scope is advertised as having 80 moa of travel so on a canted rail I'm asking for 24 MOA in the middle of that range to shoot 1000 yards.
That's not a lot to ask.

The issue here is that they offer a warranty and for some reason are incapable of fulfilling it.
I think that the rep I spoke to believed that the optic had been tested.
From the way the windage knob function it was abundantly clear that the scope has issues they did not address.

To what extent was the tracking off? Was it not moving the .1 mil or .25 MOA amounts it was supposed to? Was it moving one amount per click going up and a different amount per click going down? Just generally poor tracking?

I'm not defending Bushnell, but I have to say I consider target knobs on sub-$400 scopes basically a toy, with the sole exception of the SWFA SS, just because I don't expect smooth and consistent tracking below that price. Maybe I have low expectations.

I guess what I'm asking is this: is the scope truly broken by any reasonable measure, or is it just not tracking well?

Regarding the windage knob - the one time I sent a scope in Leupold, it came back with a test sheet indicating what was tested, how much travel was available off center in all four directions, and a few other things. Most of that wasn't relevant to my reason for sending it in (a dusty reticle) but it indicates they do a basic checkup on anything sent in, and that's a good sign - for Leupold. Maybe if Bushnell did the same it would avoid issues like yours.

The scope is advertised as having 80 moa of travel so on a canted rail I'm asking for 24 MOA in the middle of that range to shoot 1000 yards.

Have to agree with others. Been down that road of lesser dollar valued scopes and they never lasted or weren't worth a damn beyond a couple hundred yards. Plus, just because the package says it has 80 moa of travel doesn't mean how well it will do it. There aren't too many economy scopes out there that will get you to 1000 yrds reliably that I have seen. Hope you are able to get resolution to the issue.

Last edited:
The elevation knob and windage knob both had binding issues.
From what I see now I'd say its the rubber gaskets inside.
With the elevation knob I observed times when the dialed amount was less than what was dialed.
I'm not trying to hit sub moa steel at 1000 with it.
I've been using it on 18" square or e type sized steel, so I don't consider my expectations of tracking to be lofty.
I also have better optics that are in use. The 243 has a mil/mil 12X SS on it now FWIW.

I simply wanted Bushnell to address the issues the optic has and they didn't do that.
The photo I posted has a twisted gasket protruding from under the windage turret.
That's a trait I'd expect from a $60 22 scope if anything.

Thanks for clarifying. To me that's kinda on the line between really broken and just poor quality. Is it possible to fix the gaskets by removing the turrets (they should lift off if you completely unscrew the cap in top center) and putting them back on straight?

Even with your clarification I can't decide if this is truly unacceptable service, or just what I would expect for that price of scope. FWIW I owned that exact scope a couple years ago - I didn't have any problems, but I was not impressed with anything, including the turrets and the glass.

If you start a sentence with I don't mean to piss in anyone's Wheaties you clearly intend to do so.

A 243 with a 20moa rail isn't asking a whole lot of an optic in terms of elevation dude.
That's not a lot to ask.

The issue here is that they offer a warranty and for some reason are incapable of fulfilling it.
I think that the rep I spoke to believed that the optic had been tested.
From the way the windage knob function it was abundantly clear that the scope has issues they did not address.
Actually, I started it that way to set the tone of my post as non-aggressive in the hopes that what I said would be seen as constructive commentary. However I didn't realize you only started the thread to gather sympathy for your plight.

And yes, it is a lot to ask of that particular scope. I believe that I was pretty clear about that.

Edit: never mind.

Some of you are getting off track here. This thread is not about whether or not a "cheap" product performs as good as an expensive one. It is about the manufacturer refusing to warranty something that is not performing the way it is advertised to do so. Especially when the product has a lifetime warranty.

I sent an ET1624 (1-6.5x24) scope in with complaints about the focus at 1x and Bushnell replaced it.
No problem so far with Bushnell warranty dept. and I continue to outfit my rifles with Elite Tactical products.
I have 2 ETs I purchased used with no reservation because of the lifetime warranty.
One is a DMR with mildot reticle and an 1/8" blemish on the windage knob (now colored in with a Sharpie) that I got for $750 shipped and the other is 6-24x50 FFP illuminated mildot in like new condition for which I paid $600 shipped. Sorry to gloat, but DAMN, am I a shrewd shopper or what?

My bushnell 10x runs great and has held up way beyond expectations.......Sorry to hear you had trouble with yours.
Mine ran so well It turned me on to the 4200 6-24x50. After getting a couple good ones, I bought a used one of ebay that did not track properly, sent it in.........."bought used"......... "discontinued"............They sent a new one within a week or two.
Every "other" scope I have used since leaves me wanting. I think they did right by me and they got my business. I would love to be hearing a "rave", can't blame a "rant" given the circumstances but if my little high milage 10x gives out........... I couldn't hold it against them and I got more than my moneys worth out of it already.
If we are talking about an O-ring problem, I would of just addressed it myself.

I think every company lets a few lemons slip buy. Especially when producers are mass produced. I've had good results with my bushnell products but I do not use bushnell for scopes. I would kindly ask them to replace it or ask for a refund. If your still unsatisfied there are many other companies that make scopes on the same level. Hope they get your shit strait for ya.

Some of you are getting off track here. This thread is not about whether or not a "cheap" product performs as good as an expensive one. It is about the manufacturer refusing to warranty something that is not performing the way it is advertised to do so. Especially when the product has a lifetime warranty.

Near as I can tell, to Bushnell "lifetime" means until it breaks. Once it breaks, its life is over.

Near as I can tell, to Bushnell "lifetime" means until it breaks. Once it breaks, its life is over.

Is your opinion based on first-hand experience? I have personally had good experience with Bushnells warranty over my Tactical Elite scope.

Bushnell Elite series is a great scope and they will fix those. On a 10yr old pos red dot that was cheap to begin with. They won't cover. Go grind your axe somewhere else.

On a 10yr old pos red dot that was cheap to begin with. They won't cover. Go grind your axe somewhere else.

If they came with a lifetime warranty they sure better fix it. That's what lifetime means. Doesn't matter what the scope cost.

For anyone wondering, here's their current warranty information:

Bushnell - Warranty Information

I don't know what warranty they promised on RDS 10 years ago, but today it's only a 1-year warranty.

The OP (MLC) and Michaelnel are both claiming that scopes which have the lifetime warranty were not adequately repaired when sent in for service. "Lifetime warranty" isn't worth much if they don't really honor it. I'd be interested to hear if there are any more than just the few bad experiences in this thread.

So what's wrong with the scope?
You saying that you can't hit crap past 600+ doesn't prove that the scope is bad....
And that o-ring hanging out from under the turret is NOT from normal use.

So back to my question - what's wrong with the darn scope???

2l92o06.jpg

That's not an o-ring hanging out from under the windage knob, it's a new species of parasite, some sort of scope worm.
Please ship it to me and I'll properly dispose of the biological threat.