• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Bushwhacker 46, Hybrid 46 or Vers458

Viper1973

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2013
Southeastern Indiana
Guys,

Looking for a hearing safe suppressor for 450 Bushmaster and 458 Socom (both in an AR platform) for hunting. Given the limited choices in this category I'm pretty much going to have to go with one of these three:

1) Griffin Bushwhacker 46
2) SilencerCo Hybrid 46
3) Bowers Vers458

I shoot a mix of supers and subs and am trying to figure out which of the above is going to work best. I have other cans for other purposes so I'm only really interested in the .45-.46 caliber suppression.

The Vers458 is supposedly excellent. However, it'd be cartoony long on a 16" rifle and weighs almost 2lbs. I think that for a carried gun or one shot offhand it may just be too unwieldy. The Hybrid seems to be popular for this purpose but it is not serviceable, an older design and the accessories and mounts are expensive. Plus, given how long it's been in SilencerCo's line one has to wonder if a refresh or discontinuation would be coming soon. The Bushwhacker is totally new this year so there isn't really much in the way of reviews, etc. I do like the serviceable nature of their product but I can't actually find anything indicating it'd be hearing safe on the thumper calibers.

Thoughts? I'm debating about rolling the dice on the Bushwhacker and was wondering if anyone has any feedback or if I'm totally off-base and should look at the other two.

As someone that is waiting on a BW46, I would have to recommend it. Unfortunately I haven't been able to shoot it. I did take it apart and put it in every configuration. I was pretty impressed. The concept and execution is very similar to their other user serviceable cans, like the Paladin and Optimus that have been on a the market for a little longer. At 16oz, it seemed pretty light and the quality of the machining was flawless. I also liked that you can put it on a pistol and that it comes with the Nielson device in the box. You just need to buy the piston for the barrel you are going to be using. I've had great experiences with GA when I called them for questions. Always got a person on the phone and they were always knowledgeable and helpful. I haven't needed any warranty help as of yet, with the other GA cans that I have.

I also like SilencerCo and have been a fan of the Omega for a while. I can't really say anything bad about them either.

I can't tell you anything about the Bowers offering.

I wanted to do the same thing as you. I ended up getting a hybrid 46 and a vers458, I plane to have the vers458 live on a 10” Pork Sword 450bm bolt gun and the hybrid on a Ruger American 450bm. Should be getting a call hopefully soon to pick up the hybrid from the dealer. The Bushwhacker is an interesting can, I probably still would have gone with the hybrid though even if it was out at the time when I bought. I don’t shoot lead cast bullets though and I do like SilencerCo products. Unfortunately I haven’t shot any of them yet to give you details. IV8888 on YouTube does a video on the hybrid 46 on a 450bm Ruger American Rifle

Haven’t shot the other 2 but love my Hybrid 46. And SiCo has pretty awesome customer service.

I own and love a SilencerCo Hybrid 46. It gets used on pistols, PCC's, .223/5.56, .308, & .45-70. I have an Omega 300 & Saker 5.56. The nice thing about the Hybrid is it gives me a 3rd can when my wife & son are with me. At 100 yards the 3 cans all have minimal shift & the groups over lay very nicely. Obviously, actual zero is set for specific cans but for plinking at steel out to 300 yards it works great.