• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Bushwhacker 46

Maelstrom

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2007
Southern Maryland
So a coworker of mine just started the paperwork on a Griffin Bushwhacker 46 and is trying to talk me into getting one. Dealer has a second one in stock right now at a pretty good price. Anyone have any experience with these?2 It could go on a bolt action .308, .300 WM, .22-250, or 338 LM and a semi .308. I like the idea of one suppressor for each caliber but I feel like it can't be as good as a dedicated caliber suppressor. Currently I have an older Gemtech G5 on my work AR and a rugged surge in jail for my AR-10.

From everything I have seen, and been told... The "do-it-all" cans, don't do anything well, but do lots of things mediocre... That was enough to turn me off of buying a "hybrid" can.

If you want something that will go up to .338, a Thunder Beast Ultra 338 will cover all your bases.

But I highly recommend just getting a .30 caliber rifle can for everything 5.56 up to .300 Norma/RUM like the Dead Air Nomad series or a Thunder Beast Ultra or Dominus. Get a dedicated rimfire can like the Dead Air Mask HD that's rated for up to .17 HMR and 5.7x28, and you're covered in the rimfire department. Get a good .45 cal pistol can to cover everything from 9mm up to .45, like the Rugged Obsidian 45.

And then, IF you step up to the .338, get a dedicated .338 can, because they will be much heavier and larger than a .30 caliber can will be.

Just my suggestions.

Reactions: Vandoogle13
I’ve got a silencerco hybrid 46 on back order. From what I hear, changing the pistons is a bit of a pain but silencer shop’s video on the suppressor seems favorable overall. I plan to run it mostly on sub sonic stuff so the modularity is worth it for me over chasing every decibel of sound reduction.

No direct experience with griffins iteration, but Ive got a silencerco hybrid 46 that i use for 308, 357,45-70, qnd 9mm carbines. I like it very much. Too large to use on a pistol IMO. On 30 cal bolt guns i dont notice much difference between it and my TBAC ultra 9 decibal wise, some but not a lot. I have the dedicated caliber end caps but pretty much keep the 9mm end cap in for anything other than 45.

I do think its louder on 22 calibers though. I think the do it all cans definitely have their place. If u can afford it the 338 ultra would be a great can for the calibers listed, but keep in mind the size issue. Its a big can made to supress the big 338s. Works great on smaller stuff too, its just big.

Dedicated caliber cans are always going to be "better" but id really miss my hybrid for all those calibers above 30. If your not going to use it for anything bigger than 30, then just get a 30 caliber can and be done with it.

Id imagine the bushwacker to sound similiar to the hybrid

I've had one for a little while now and I think it's pretty awesome actually.

I first tried it out on a couple of bolt rifles that already had taper mount brakes on them. The sound was very comparable to the .30 cal cans that I already run on most stuff. I didn't think there was much of a penalty for it having a larger end cap aperture. Then I put the piston mount on it and ran it on a couple of pistols and it was pretty great there too. I thought it was nice that it came with about everything you needed to run it on about anything. Mine is the Gen1 and supposedly the Gen 2 is even better.

After a few outings, I decided to take it apart and clean it just to see how that task was. It came apart very easily and went back together even easier. I would say it's easier than a good rimfire can. I'm sure if I shot 5k rounds through it and then went to take it apart it would have been a little trickier, but why would you wait that long. It also came with a tool to push the baffles out.

You can also get different end caps if you're planning on shooting a lot of 223 or something, and I'm sure that would make it a little quieter.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Reactions: Maelstrom
I have a bushwhacker but honestly not had the time to play with it. I mainly got it as a demo and use on my 458 socom and 375 socom.

I can't speak to the modularity performance on this one as I bought it specifically for a 45-70 lever gun where it really shines. There weren't a ton of other options out there so the Bushwhacker fit the bill. Fit and finish are pretty good and the breakdown feature is nice for servicing/cleaning lead buildup from cast loads. To echo the other posters, do it all cans really don't do anything specific exceptionally well. In my case, I have dedicated cans for specific calibers but this can be an expensive route. The Bushwhacker isn't going to do you wrong as a multi host can and truth be told, you probably won't notice much difference unless you are directly stacking it up against a dedicated caliber can.

I can't speak to the modularity performance on this one as I bought it specifically for a 45-70 lever gun where it really shines. There weren't a ton of other options out there so the Bushwhacker fit the bill. Fit and finish are pretty good and the breakdown feature is nice for servicing/cleaning lead buildup from cast loads. To echo the other posters, do it all cans really don't do anything specific exceptionally well. In my case, I have dedicated cans for specific calibers but this can be an expensive route. The Bushwhacker isn't going to do you wrong as a multi host can and truth be told, you probably won't notice much difference unless you are directly stacking it up against a dedicated caliber can.
Hmm. Wonder how it will do on a .450 Bushmaster?

Hmm. Wonder how it will do on a .450 Bushmaster?
I'm a class 3 dealer. Like I said I got one for me to use on a 458 socom 10". I built a buddy a 450 bushmaster last year. Guess I need to get with him and shoot it on both. I'll try to do that in the next few days. But I'll tell ya. I have a lane scorpion and a silencer co hybrid also. I like the bushwhacker because is has cones and is user serviceable. That a great feature if you ever shoot lead or coated bullets.