• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushy Tactical 6-24x50 FFP vs PST

mwroseberry

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
urbana, ohio
We all know the PST is great glass for the price. I've been looking into it and the Busy Tactical. My concern is that the bushnell line thickness on the reticle will hinder me on high magnification. But my concern with the PST is the turrets being 3 screw will be a pain in the rear compaired to the turrets on the Bushy.

I currenly have a 16x SS and a 10x40 bushy and lOVE them both but I need more magnification and will only go with a FFP or fixed power. I would love to get the 6-20SS but funds just aren't there and I really can't afford a divorce :). The travel on both scares me as it takes 74min of travel for me to dial to the mile target at TVP. This is very do-able for the SS but both the PST and Bushy only have 60/65min of up correction.

So for those of you that have or have been behind both or either please talk to me about clarity and line thickness on the reticle as those are really my only areas of concern for either optic. And also how would you rate the turret durability on the PST.

Thank you,
Merritt

Re: Bushy Tactical 6-24x50 FFP vs PST

Just ordered a PST so I'll know within a week. As far as the Bushy, I loved the one I had. Very durable and turrets were nice as well. The clarity was pretty good also. I was using it ona 300RUM out to 1000yds and never had an issue with tracking or clarity. Hope this helps!

I had sold the Bushy I had on my old rifle and I was tempted to buy another one but I've also been wanting to try a PST for quite a while so I decided I'd give it a shot. Like I said, I can't give a clear cut answer but I can testify to the Bushnell being a very solid scope. Personal preference should be the deciding factor as I personally think they'll both take roughly the same amount of abuse so choose whichever one fits your criteria otherwise. As far as the reticle being too thick, your going to have a slightly thicker reticle on a FFP scope typically but even out to 1k shooting 8" plates I never had an issue with clarity or the reticle covering too much of the target with the Bushnell.

Good, problem is I'm going to be going after 12" plates out to 1mile so either way I go I need it to work.

Thank you,
Merritt

Have had a Bushnell 6500 4.5-30 got rid of it reticle was too thick for what I wanted now have a pst ffp awesome scope and the pst has a shim style zero stop style setup. If these are your two choices go the pst guarantee you won't regret it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Cal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have had a Bushnell 6500 4.5-30 got rid of it reticle was too thick for what I wanted now have a pst ffp awesome scope and the pst has a shim style zero stop style setup. If these are your two choices go the pst guarantee you won't regret it </div></div>

Thanks,

That was what I was afraid of.

Also wondering if I should work with what I have and save up some more for the HDMR or the SS 5-20..... Decisions, decisions

I had the cash to buy and was looking at either the nsx Nightforce or vortex razor but I vent with the pst because I'm only mounting on a .223 rem, the sheer size of the razor makes it very heavy and a bit of overkill and optically to the nsx they were very similar and at half the price give or take it gave me the extra cash in my pocket to spend on more reloading gear and components which with range time will make you shoot better you can have the best scopes but the ain't worth a pinch of $#it if you haven't got the experience

Ps if weight don't worry you a good feature on the razor is right in the centre of the reticle where the crosshairs cross there is a little square gap which is an awesome idea in my book cos it allows you to target a really small dot on a target which is something missing in ffp scopes and o found really handy for accuracy

I have a shooting partner with a Razor and know it's a heavy beast which I already went to a different stock because of weight. I guess I have some debating to do. No one scope has the exact features I want so it's going to be a compromise unless I go with US optic which is well outside my price range.

Decisions, Decisions.

Thank you,
Merritt

Well if you buy the USO ull cry for a bit on how much u spent but ull never sell it and always have what u wanted

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Cal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well if you buy the USO ull cry for a bit on how much u spent but ull never sell it and always have what u wanted </div></div>

Your incorrect ill cry twice, once when I shell out the cash and then again at my divorce when my wife finds out ;-).

I know the feeling well my wife shoots and she has looked through USO and bender scopes but still doesn't understand y I want 1 and she said I can buy 1 but she'll own it after the divorce lol. I keep using the excuse when I buy my stuff that it's for father son time with my boys but that's even wearing thin considering their only 2 1/2 and 1- 1 month but it's worth a try I can't see why the older one can't shoot a .338 lap but she seems to think it's a bit big lol

The Reticle on the 6-24x is on the thick side. It's not going to cover a 3/4 MOA target, but it's not ideal for banging sub-MOA steel at a mile.

For that I would go with the Razor. The open reticle is great, and if you want to attempt itty-bitty targets, you dial off and use the hold points on the "christmas tree". That is what I do for load development at 300 yards.

From your original question about the PST not having the elevation that you would require for banging plates at a mile....could you shim your base? I've heard of 30MOA bases for sale. If you are currently shooting with a 20MOA base you could upgrade your base or simply shim it for the extra needed elevation.

I don't have the PST and don't regularly shoot out to a mile.
I do have the razor and it doesn't leave much if anything to be desired. I am looking at a PST when I have some extra cash for another one of my rifles.

Hope this helped.

The PST won't make it even with a 30MOA base. I need 74min to 1 mile and even with the 30MOA base I'm probably only going to have about 60min of up correction. I can use the reticle for the rest of it but I'll have to take it off of max magnification. I'm starting to look at the IOR scopes as well so it will be interesting what weighs out as the winner in the end.

Thanks everyone,
Merritt

I can't speak for the Bushnell as I have never had one, but I was just thinking about this today....

Compared to any other scope I've seen, these fly off the used sales section the fastest, and thats WHEN they even appear. Usually the only ones that apear are the MOA reticle ones, because people decide to move to MIL, otherwise the MIL ones hardly ever appear in the for sale sections, and when they do they get swooped up almost instantly. I was looking for months in the used section for my 6-24 FFP MIL version, and it was the first one posted in that long and literally posted 'its mine' right after he put it up. Compare that to any nightforce/bender/premier or even better just other scopes in its class an they literally flood the for sales sections and usually sit there for a bit and only after a couple price drops later get sold. Obviously those have many more sold, have been around longer(so more of them produces total), and might be in different price zones, so its not a fair comparison... Neither is it empirical scientific evidence of anything...

But for what its worth, it definitely shows that overall owners are happy with them and are not trying to sell them. Sometimes looking at subtle things like that can show a much better picture than anything else.. especially posts just asking for opinions because everyone has a bias for their own scope(me included!) and everyone wants to feel their item is of good value. Theres was alot of rave about the SS 5-20, but it seems like I see one of those in the for sale all the time and those are even newer.... I wonder what the difference is. Would you rather trust the opinion of those that are justifying their purchase one way or another(even if they are actually happy with it) or real word observations of what people are getting rid of...

Lastly, I made it out to a mile with a 308 with my viper, so you shouldn't have a problem. You might need to use the reticle though, as you mentioned. If your gonna be shooting a mile so often that using the reticle is a big hasssle, then just use a bigger moa mount. With a 20 moa base I have like 19.5 Mils of travel(~67MOA), but mine came with 21 mils of travel instead of the advertised 19,so I guess I kinda lucked out on that one.

I have both powers of the PST's and two of the FFP bushy's. The reticles on the pst's are finer and divided up better for measuring. Optical clarity is similar between both brands. Not sure if you have enough adjustment for a mile. The single screw on the bushys turrets are nice, quick and accurate. Personally I would save up and get a NF, even its a second focal plane 5.5 x 22 x 56mm. You can get them for under two grand and well worth the difference in price. They are also good for more elevation, mine are mil-mil and there is plenty of room to walk it out long.

The 7-08 is going to get a us optics ST-10 and I'm building a 280ai for the 2k coarse so ill look at the sightron, PST and ss 20x for that rig.

Just get the USO! who needs a wife?! I would wait for a few months because everyone is going to be changing all their stuff during the winter and there should be some good deals here on the hide. I have already seen NF NXS 5.5-22x50 go for around a $1100

I have a Bushnell 6-24 FFP mil/mil.... The reticle is very thick at full magnification. I know alot of people rave about it and when I was looking alot of people said the glass was very good.
If you are going to buy it just don't expect it to be Nightforce glass. I got mine for about half the price as my Nightforce and I honestly feel the glass quality is about half as good... if that makes sense.
I still believe you get what you pay for, even though we all wish we could get 2000 dollar glass for a grand.

I would prefer a SFP optic for extreme long range precision work as the reticle lines should be thinner. I think FFP is great for some things but the SFP better for longer precision.. YMMV.

For what its worth I work at a sporting goods store selling optics. I think that the PST is a good scope, I think that the Bushmaster is just as good and can usually be had for less money. Some of the features of the PST make it a little more user friendly but optically they are not far off.