• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Butch's Bore Shine

Helix

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2009
Australia
I was recently recommended the stuff to use to remove some slight rust in the bore. The stuff seems to work incredibly well, every patch has been consistently dark even in what I thought was a relatively clean bore. I have read rumours that this may be because it can strip off the metal on stainless steel bores and cause damage, does anyone know if this is true? and does anyone know if it has any effect on blueing or exterior metals? I'm also considering using it to clean up an old VZ.24 mauser.

Re: Butch's Bore Shine

I've been using it in my rifles for quite some time and everything is OK with none of the effects you listed. I was surprised when I first started using it over hoppes no.9, it gets all types of fouling out.

The dark stuff on your patch may be burned powder residue. Butch's Bore Shine is fairly harmless and can be left in your stainless bore for a long time without damage. On the other hand, you cannot leave Sweet's 7.62 Solvent copper remover in your bore for longer than about 10 minutes - it's much stronger and can etch the stainless surface.

If you go to the local GM parts counter and buy their "Top Engine" cleaner (non-aerosol) you'll find it has EXACTLY the SAME ingredients as Butches Bore Shine and at 1/2 the price. Even cheaper if you buy the case of 6 cans.

GM Top Engine is the same as Shooter's Choice -- nowhere near the copper-stripping ammonia of Butch's.

=1 on the top end cleaner I have been using it for years. I have purchased it from GM and also Honda. Woody

Just dont use a chamber plug and soak a bore with solvents containing ammonia--you will etch the bore.

Also, I can't remember the name but one popular brand of bore solvent contains Naphtha or Benzene and these are pretty ugly chemicals to expose yourself to, check out MSDS online and look em up. Both are known carcinogens that can cause CNS depression, peripheral nerve disorders, etc.

..just dont drink the stuff

I have used this for the past several years. It has not damaged any of my barrels or the bluing. I have left it in the barrel with no issues. I need my rifles to shoot accurately in my competitions so I would notice if anything causes them to lose accuracy. This is a solid product in my opinion.

I've been using it in my rifles for quite some time and everything is OK with none of the effects you listed. I was surprised when I first started using it over hoppes no.9, it gets all types of fouling out.
I used Hoppes as a beginner for some time. Decided to try Butch's and after sending a patch down a barrel I thought was clean with Hoppes, I was surprised. Been using it ever since.

This thread was brought back from the dead!

But on the subject Bore Tech is also pretty good..

Bore Tech BTCE-25016 Eliminator Bore Cleaner

6963F62A-5B8F-4F8F-9E5E-442D1E3494B4.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: USP45