• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Butner First Timer Assistance

Keith E.

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2007
Eastern N.C.
All,

I plan to make a run to Butner next weekend (30May-1Jun14) and am more than willing to listen to any advice that you good folks may have. I've shot out to 1k a bit on private land but never a match or even an organized practice. I will be using an M40A3 clone with a MKIV 3.5-10 M3. From what I've gathered the wind will be the big factor at this location. I am always interested in shooting info but as this will be new to me, I am more interested in getting through the weekend as smoothly as possible.

Thanks In Advance,
Keith

There's a very active program at Butner, expect there to be 50-60 shooters there; about half sling and coat and about half F class, F class being a mix of open and FT/R . Easy group to be new in.

Things you need:

A relaxed attitude
Rifle / ammo capable of MOA or better, with known ballistics and a good 100 yard zero, ammo capable of getting to 1000 in good order (staying supersonic or other transonic-happy bullet)
No muzzle break, as they are not allowed in NRA registered competitions.
Shooting mat
Bipod / rear bag(s)
Spotting scope very very desirable; you might be able to get away without one (by borrowing one), but you need to be able to see the target when you are scoring for your partner and you cannot use your rifle scope for this. I use mine while shooting to watch mirage, for example, so it is not available for use by my scorer.
Eye / hearing protection
Empty Chamber Indicator (might be available day of match)
Folding chair optional but desirable

There is no lunch break, the match always keeps moving forward, so everyone eats on the run so to speak, so bring water, cooler, sandwich or other food, snacks, etc. Nothing available for sale at the match. Grocery store in Butner for restocking each day.

You can do it with a 10X scope but you'll wish you had more.

Shooters are squadded into 4 relays. Relays 1 and 2 shoot Match 1 first while relays 3 and 4 go to the pits to pull and score targets. Then there is a pit change, and relays 1 and 2 go to the pits to pull and score while relays 3 and 4 shoot Match 1, then relays 3 and 4 shoot match 2. Then there's another pit change, and relays 1 and 2 shoot Match 2. This is to expose all shooters to early and later day conditions. Early - Mid afternoon at Butner is often....challenging.

Squadding starts at 7am, and there are people there before 7 in line. Shooting starts at 0800 with relays 1 and 2 (Saturday) on the line. Relays 3 and 4 shoot first on Sunday.

Tell whoever you get squadded with that you're new; watch what others do. Range commands are formal. You will be instructed when to bring your equipment to the line. Do not bring your rifle to the line until you are instructed to do so. When you move your rifle, it must have an ECI inserted in the empty chamber. Do not load or fire until instructed to do so.

Prep time is 3 minutes at the beginning of each match. The RO will tell you when you're in prep time, and you may remove your ECI and dry fire during prep. The command to load will be given after prep time has expired.

There will seem like a lot to do and not enough time to do it. Once you learn the routine it is much less hectic.

Other things nice to have at Butner after April:
Sunscreen
Hat
Water
Insect repellent
Water
Towel to wipe sweat off of everything

Last edited:
Look at the scoring system and understand how to score. You will be scoring for the people you are squadded with. There are a lot of good guys that shoot over there. I'm sure it will be a good time

Gentlemen,

Your assistance is greatly apreciated. I do plan to shoot FT/R. Standing by for any other comments.

Keith

Very good information, SWRICHMOND! I'm glad you responded before I did. I would have forgotten a lot of the info that you mentioned. to the OP, don't be afraid to ask someone about starting wind dope. they will probably know you are new and will give you an honest guess on the wind. At 1k if you don't have a feel for a starting wind adjustment you could be off the paper on your first shot and it would be hard to tell what you did wrong. Normally in the morning at Butner a good starting wind calculation is around 1.5 to 2+moa. Rarely more than that early on. As the day progresses the wind picks from there, but you will be able to determine the increases by shot to shot, more or less. Most of the shooters will be willing to help you along if you approach in a proper manner. On the wind again, if you are on the first relay you may not have hardly any adjustment to worry about. If the flags are inactive, or barely moving just put the cross hairs on the X and see what happens. Don't worry and have fun.

Last edited:
SWRichmond - Thank you very much for a great post, I was going to ask the same question as the OP so I am glad I found this! Tag for future reference!

One more item to note: you will find some of the best shooters on the planet at Camp Butner, particularly in F-TR. Don't be afraid to ask questions to take advantage of their expertise and learn as much as you can. Before or after the match is usually a better time to ask questions than during, when people will be closely focused on shooting. Best of luck and have fun!

Guys,

Thanks for all of the posts. I was there for the Friday practice (only open to 500) and both match days. Out of the gate I posted a 137 (cranked backwards on windage and lost two to the left that were preceded by 7's and 6's, woops) then was in the mid 160's and worked my way up to the low-mid 170's on Sunday. There were definitely some helpful folks and all were super nice. I will be going back.

I did run up on a bit of a situation though, glass. I was running a MKIV 3.5-10x40 with 1moa elev/.5moa windage which was a bit coarse in my opinion. Another thing was that I got to look through some really nice spotters while I was there. I believe that these may cause a decrease in funds before too long as I'm already researching spotters. :)

Thanks,
Keith

Before you even start looking a "spotters," you should think about getting a riflescope that is better suited for F-Class if you are going to continue in it.

Had to miss that match due to family but usually make most of them. I have white hair and wear an X-Men shirt. Come up and introduce yourself. New shooters always welcome. AG

Deny,

I'm already researching scopes too. I was actually in a thread yesterday that you and tactical had posted in, most helpful btw. I'm keeping my eye out for "outdated" equipment that may pop up in the exchange forums.

asbestosglove,

Thanks for the hospitality offer. There was actually an X-Men team in the Team Match Saturday afternoon.

Thanks,
Keith