• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Butt Hook or Not?

MitchInOR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2008
Oregon, Willamette Valley
I have been considering selling off my Mac A3 in favor or a stock that has adjustments for cheek and lop.

I'm in need of opinion on which works better a stock with or without a butt hook. Choices might be the McMillan A3-A5 or the Manners T2-T4. Now the A5 and T4 have a flat lower portion on the rear of the stock and the A3 and the T2 taper back to the recoil pad. It looks like the tapered stocks without the hook would offer more elevation adjustibility with a bean bag vs. the flat stocks look like they may work better on a bench.

My only experience is with the A3 stock so I have no idea how the hook stocks perform. All my shooting is done in the field with none at a official range. I mostly shoot prone with bipod support but have been working on sling supported sitting and supported off objects in the field.

Mitch

Re: Butt Hook or Not?

Well, it really comes down to personal preference, I prefer McM A5s and the AI chassis, which both have a very pronounced butt hook, and I use it. Some hate the butt hook, and I see their argument.

Its a blonde or brunette question (I like both)

Im a huge fan of the flat bottom with hook... No one likes a flat butt, gotta have some hook. haha

The T4A is my personal favorite, I get plenty of travel with a rear bag. I prefer the flat back over the angled because I get a solid level contact with my rear bag. Buy squeezing the rear bag rather than sliding it forward and back I get great travel. you can position the bag right just rear of the hook, this way if you need to move the rear of the stock very close to the ground you can use the hook and bag. "Hooking your hand on the hook"

Its a preferance issue. Everyone has a different idea of percect. If possible get you hands on some of these stocks and see how they feel. Call me wierd, but when I was deployed I used 2x6's and cut one with a hook and one without. Like a mach up stock. Made my mind up fast.

I love hooks
smile.gif

Sounds funny but i feel like it allows me to embrace the rifle lol

I guess if your shooting prone, not moving all that much and would utilise the hook for a solid shoulder then perhaps it may be of use.

You can always just put the rear bag at the end of the rifles butt, just depends if your picky about the setup.

I use a rear mono pod so havnt yet encountered a problem.

I have a A-5 and T4 with the hook as well as a A-3. I shoot prone off the ground as well and don't remember ever using the hook feature.

I have the A-5 and A3-5 and like the hooks on both. Find a bro that has one and test drive it. That's the only way to find out if you want one.

It really is a personal preference. I had an AICS, and I've shot an A5 equipped rifle. For me, I prefer having the full length of the stock for sliding my rear bag, to change elevation. The hook takes away too much of this area for me.
I sometimes use the rear sling attachment as a "hook" for pushing the stock into my shoulder.

Had both hook and no hook. I like no hook better in fact I like the A3 over the A5.

Until you try both you’ll never know.

I have both A5 and A3. I like the hook, but the way I hold my rear bag the forward portion of the hook's cutout always bangs the back of my support hand. Not enoguh to make me not love my A5, and I think if I had to have just one or the other I'd have A5's. (or A3/5's!).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love the butt hook. </div></div>

+1 me too....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love the butt hook. </div></div>

Same here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love the butt hook. </div></div>Same here. </div></div>There's a joke there somewhere.
whistle.gif

I went with the A5 by Bell/Carlson because I wanted that feature. It always felt natural to me to keep my hand there.

Upgraded__700_and_AR_by_GlockGuy.jpg

i prefer no butt hook, but im using a rear bag 90% of the time. if not i think i would prefer the hook.

i chose the mcm a3 over the a5 for this reason

Yes, with all things it's best to try before you buy. I guess I need to find some body local that has an A5 or T4 and see how it feels, but then maybe it's about what I am used to.

I liked Knights idea of cutting out a 2x6 in the shape of a gun

I've got two 308s, one is on a McM A5, the other I'm putting on a B&C A2 so that I can compare the two over time and see which I really like best.

Just got back from my first precision rifle class at CVT. The butthooks on my A-5 and AICS stocks were a huge liability.

When shooting prone with a rear bag, I had two problems;

1. Under recoil, the hook would sometimes shift or fall off the bag, completely screwing my cheek weld and natural point of aim.

2. The hook (and resultant flat bottom buttstock) did not allow enough elevation change when moving the rear bag forward/reverse on the buttstock to engage multiple targets (at multiple ranges).

My AICS is already sold, and I'm replacing it with a Manners T2. When I can afford it, my A-5 gets replaced with an A-3.

Fuck the butthook.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love the butt hook. </div></div>Same here. </div></div>There's a joke there somewhere.
whistle.gif
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Fuck the butthook.</div></div>

There it is!
laugh.gif

I like em both.... The MCS T1 w/hook & McMillan M40 A1 (HTG) w/o hook... I grab the A1 for hunting though, just the style of stock I grew up on so positional/improvised just seem to come more naturally to me with the HTG. Prone & off the bench I shoot tighter with the hook though
crazy.gif
definitely a MUST try, in the manner of intended use, before ya drop the big $$$. Either style, from either McMillan's or Manners' are not difficult to recoup a respectable return on if ya find the one you choose does not work for you down the line.

Here's a pic of my T1.... still has plenty in the ass to ride a bag with....

DVC00010.jpg

So, possibly I am missing some of the fundamentals? The hook is used to keep the butt snug against the shoulder? I have always done this by loading the bipod and using slight pressure with the trigger hand.

I prefer the hook myself. It gives me a comfortable and consistent place for my non shooting hand. If you are left handed like me, when shooting and utilizing rapid bolt manipulation it gives me a reference point. One less thing to have to worry about when quickly preparing for a follow up shot. I like to shoot with a rear bag if I can, and a hook gives you a higher place to put your bag, if you need to. Like said before its all personal preference. You can make one out of iso mat and duct tape to try it out if no one has one in your area to try. Which is how I make my "custom" cheek piece. I don't see the downside of getting a hook.

If ya dont have a butt hook, you are wrong. Put the web of your hand in the hook and squeeze the rear bag. Recoil is straight back, not in the air.

Reactions: parsintrensiac

Flash I disagree. If you have a sloped butt you can make minute adjustments by sliding it up or down on your bag. Makes for a much steadier platform then squeezing a soft bag that probably moves when you breath. I have a T-5A right now and I like it alot but I am starting to think that I might need to swap it out for a T2A for that reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like em both.... The MCS T1 w/hook & McMillan M40 A1 (HTG) w/o hook... I grab the A1 for hunting though, just the style of stock I grew up on so positional/improvised just seem to come more naturally to me with the HTG. Prone & off the bench I shoot tighter with the hook though
crazy.gif
definitely a MUST try, in the manner of intended use, before ya drop the big $$$. </div></div>

My thoughts exactly...

Forend; for a bipod, I like the A3; for a front bag/rest, I like something with a bottom contour that's straight and level with the bore. Essentially, I think a bipod and a sporter contour forend work fine together.

For a rear bag, I like a flat, straight, and level lower surface; for no bag, hand only, I prefer the hook. With the bag, I think less butt stock depth may be better.

I think the hook/hand allows me to get lower, which I believe is easier on the neck. The hand under the butt hook can benefit from a glove, I like the Mechanic's Wear Original gloves; they make them in a passable camo pattern. When I had my A5, I found I could use it without having to actually raise the adjustable comb.

All things considered, I feel that the lower I get, the easier it is <span style="font-style: italic">for me</span> to shoot continuously and consistently well.

Greg

Manners T4 is built for riding the bags with both the front and rear under surfaces parallel to the bore-and a hook.

I'm torn, so I have and like both.

I prefer them, but it's not am"make or break" item.

I have the B&C Light Tactical, and AI AE with them and the PRS on my AR10 serves the same function. Our LTR's don't have them and I hardly notice.