• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Butt Pad Positioning Questions

Bear1845

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2013
Texas
I've seen that several chassis (MPA, AI, etc.) allow for positioning the buttpad high and off the axis of the rifle, canted for lack of better term. Does anyone have a methodology for arriving at this when working natural point of aim fundamentals and the like?

Personally, I loosen my bipod up, get behind prone the rifle with my eyes closed. When it feels comfortable, open eye and look at level. Adjust buttpad accordingly until all cant is removed for my comfortable position and the level is level. Adjust scope to plumb. Remove level, if possible, and go shoot.

I lock my scope level, and then close my eyes and adjust the buttstock to comfort.

If my rifle doesn't have an adjustable buttpad, I will get the rifle comfortable, lock the bipod and then mount the scope plumb to gravity.

Reactions: A&8's and Bear1845