• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Butt pad removal

Drumie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2005
Western New York
I have a Remington VS SF that I want to remove the butt pad so I can install flush cups. The problem I am having is I don't know how to remove the butt pad. It doesn't have the small holes for the screws to go into. Is the pad glued on? Any tricks for removing it?
Thanks.

Re: Butt pad removal

Does the pad really need to be removed to install the cups?

I want to put the cups on the side of the stock. I believe that the stock is hollow so I would need to use JB weld or steel bed to make sure that the cup will stay in place.

A lot of pads are screwed on but you cant see the screw holes. They cut a small slit in the pad and push the screw thru the slit on a screw driver. After its screwed in they pull the screw driver out and the slit closes up. Maybe yours is done that way. Use your thumbs to try to pull each side of the pad away from each other and see if the slit doesnt open up.
Just a thought.

If not...two or three choices. 1: Freeze the stock in a deep freeze over night and try to knock it off. This will sometimes defeat the glue bonding. 2: Grind the whole sucker off and replace. Or, if you want to keep the same length, cut it off with the sawblade cutting only in the pad base. JMHO

There are a couple screws, not that they're needed. That thing is glued on so well it'll never come off. I cut mine off with a razor blade then used an abrasive wheel to get the rest off. I have yet to find a pad to fit it. There is also a metal piece that protrudes a little running from near the top of the butt to almost the bottom (not sure if that's common knowledge or not).