• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buttstock and buffer recommendations?

Quietguy88

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2021
USA
I have 18" barrel ar308. Long story short, using magpul moe rifle stock. The length of pull is decent in most scenarios. Until standing or kneeling... when wearing winter clothes.

Almost tempted to use a ubr2 with the extended rubber recoil pad.

Use will be prs/hunting/3gun. In any order. Which makes me consider trading the prs style a2 stocks for rapid LOP adjustment.

I was thinking the ubr2, extended rubber pad(adds roughly 1/2" LOP).. use the jaw bumper stickon pads from deflector brake website.

Any other recommendations for a versatile stock?

Next up, what buffer and spring? Currently using ar10 rifle spring and 10oz buffer.

Kind of curious about the kynshot hydraulic buffer, sprinco orange and superlative arms vented gasblock.

What experiences, horror stories or insights do you all have?

I only ask to remain civil with each other. I am entirely unbiased and asking for an open floor of input. So I may estimate what will best fit my needs.

Thank you all!

I use the armaspec stealth recoil spring. Seems to be a cheaper solution if you want to try that kind of solution.

I can only share my experience on 18” rifle length Superlative AGB.
I used A2 rifle tube, Tubbs AR10 flat spring and Kaw Valley 5.6oz AR10 shorter style buffer.

Works great suppressed and unsuppressed.
I realize not exactly what you want just sharing it works.

Last edited:
Your buffer weight selection is entirely dependent on how much gas flow there is. With an adjustable gas block, you can get away with lighter weight buffers. Without an adjustable gas block, if your ar308 is over gassed, you'll want/need a heavier buffer. If it's under gassed, you want/need a lighter buffer.

If you like the finer tune adjustment dials of the PRS style stocks but want the quick LOP adjustment of a standard carbine stock - B5 Adjustable Precision Stock and Luth MBA-3

The length/time of travel in the A2 longer tube and shorter AR10 buffer is important also. I’m not an expert in this but it seems the shorter carbine tube and longer AR15 buffer combo causes a lot of short stoke issues in large frame ARs.

How are you using a carbine buffer with rifle length receiver extension? Seems you would need a spacer to put in there. I have considered this with a flat wire spring. Not certain if it would work reliably.

I have been tossing around a lot of ideas. No lunch is free and.. that makes my issues.

Suppose I should just leave it alone, as it. Swap to an adjusting gas block, mount the suppressor and reduce gas until it is fine.

Seems like the ubr is only stock in it's class... well, the ergo.. but I think it was ubr progenitor? Any others?

I am trying to stay with 1.4 to 1.5" ring height, to keep my cheekweld and positioning similar to using irons on m4. Suppose that is the issue also, I am griping about issues with nose to charge handle when wearing a jacket. Could always slide the optic a slot or two rearward of muzzle and learn different position for this rifle.

Appreciated. Not really going anywhere with this thread. Just spitballing and looking for feedback. Thank you everyone.

The length/time of travel in the A2 longer tube and shorter AR10 buffer is important also. I’m not an expert in this but it seems the shorter carbine tube and longer AR15 buffer combo causes a lot of short stoke issues in large frame ARs.
This is not totally correct. The bolt carrier group will cycle the same distance, regardless of the buffer/tube- assuming you have the correct buffer for your buffer tube- (rifle/rifle, carbine/carbine, etc). If you put a carbine buffer in a rifle tube you will experience lower receiver damage from the BCG slamming into the receiver extension "tower." And if you put a rifle buffer in a carbine tube, the rifle will fail to cycle because the buffer is too long.

Reactions: Quietguy88
This is not totally correct. The bolt carrier group will cycle the same distance, regardless of the buffer/tube- assuming you have the correct buffer for your buffer tube- (rifle/rifle, carbine/carbine, etc). If you put a carbine buffer in a rifle tube you will experience lower receiver damage from the BCG slamming into the receiver extension "tower." And if you put a rifle buffer in a carbine tube, the rifle will fail to cycle because the buffer is too long.
Gotcha. Thanks

I have 18" barrel ar308. Long story short, using magpul moe rifle stock. The length of pull is decent in most scenarios. Until standing or kneeling... when wearing winter clothes.

Use will be prs/hunting/3gun. In any order. Which makes me consider trading the prs style a2 stocks for rapid LOP adjustment.

I was thinking the ubr2, extended rubber pad(adds roughly 1/2" LOP).. use the jaw bumper stickon pads from deflector brake website.

Next up, what buffer and spring? Currently using ar10 rifle spring and 10oz buffer.

Kind of curious about the kynshot hydraulic buffer, sprinco orange and superlative arms vented gasblock.

I only ask to remain civil with each other. I am entirely unbiased and asking for an open floor of input. So I may estimate what will best fit my needs.

Thank you all!

You dm'd me.

So like I said I enjoy my set up, smooth impulse. I can't compare the kynshot apples to apples on my rifle but it works great in my system. I run it suppresed 100% of the time, 0 malfunctions, roughly 800 rounds.

If you are looking for adjustable buttstocks but the magpul prs is too cumbersome I'd look at the mdt scs or XLR tr-2. I like the ubr as well. With the ubr you can use the 308 JP SCS.

As far as buffer springs if you keep your A2 set up I like JP's tuned and polished extra power large frame rifle spring.

I'm not personally a fan superlative bleed off but to each there own. I use SLR.

You dm'd me.

So like I said I enjoy my set up, smooth impulse. I can't compare the kynshot apples to apples on my rifle but it works great in my system. I run it suppresed 100% of the time, 0 malfunctions, roughly 800 rounds.

If you are looking for adjustable buttstocks but the magpul prs is too cumbersome I'd look at the mdt scs or XLR tr-2. I like the ubr as well. With the ubr you can use the 308 JP SCS.

As far as buffer springs if you keep your A2 set up I like JP's tuned and polished extra power large frame rifle spring.

I'm not personally a fan superlative bleed off but to each there own. I use SLR.
Why not superlative arms? I know someone who likes SLR.

Why not superlative arms? I know someone who likes SLR.

I don't like the bleed off "feature". I wouldn't ever use it. I'd rather just tune my rifle correctly instead of launching a bunch of excess hot carbon out of my gas block.

I don't like the bleed off "feature". I wouldn't ever use it. I'd rather just tune my rifle correctly instead of launching a bunch of excess hot carbon out of my gas block.
I’m running mine almost wide open bleed off, suppressed pretty much exclusively with a CF Proof 18” rifle gas. I’ll circle back when I have several hundred rounds through it.

I’m running mine almost wide open bleed off, suppressed pretty much exclusively with a CF Proof 18” rifle gas. I’ll circle back when I have several hundred rounds through it.

Why?

Why not just restrict gas flow until it functions as you want?

Why?

Why not just restrict gas flow until it functions as you want?
Supposedly reduces blowback to some degree. I didn’t buy it for that reason and honestly didn’t know of the feature when I ordered them for my .223 and .308. I just read of others having good functionality in large frames and Proof barrels. I wanted to stick with what has worked well for others.
That being said Todd Magee from Dead Air wrote this:
“The pressure used in the block is reduced only to the amount required to drive the bolt carrier. The remaining gas / pressure are bled out of the block allowing the system to run much cleaner and cooler.
Reduction of felt recoil.”

I’ve seen 8dB reduction in noise suppressed reported but that’s easily manipulated.

If you understand most piston systems of machine guns.. they run similarly. Excess is gas is dumped some where.

If you allow the excess to atmosphere, it in theory should reduce the backpressure remaining in barrel. Especially while suppressed.

Pressure likes to take the easiest route. Reversing flow of gas and back into the chamber/receiver... should be less than out of a hole in linear flow, to atmosphere.

Is this true?? No idea. Although I do agree with scientific notion. Logically speaking.

No toe stepping. The system is not flawless. That adjustment screw will eventually freeze/seize.... it requires pmcs...

Is it placebo? Maybe. But... a lot of reports are slightly lower dB when suppressed and marginally cleaner operating systems.

It makes me willing to try. Worst case is, the gas is dumped against suppressor and barrel OD... making a little more cleaning.

*shrug*

My personal views and no factual claims.

I really just want to have the best battlerifle/dmr possible within a set budget. That said, I am thinking about just keeping my current setup and making it work. Nothing is "wrong" with it. Functions reliably both suppressed and unsuppressed... accurate... consistent...

*shrug* maybe I ought just spring for a gasgun to do surgical work.

Thank you all. Inform me of both various stock options and input based upon hands on experience. Either you, or your shooting buddy.

Appreciated!!

Reactions: db2000
Supposedly reduces blowback to some degree. I didn’t buy it for that reason and honestly didn’t know of the feature when I ordered them for my .223 and .308. I just read of others having good functionality in large frames and Proof barrels. I wanted to stick with what has worked well for others.
That being said Todd Magee from Dead Air wrote this:
“The pressure used in the block is reduced only to the amount required to drive the bolt carrier. The remaining gas / pressure are bled out of the block allowing the system to run much cleaner and cooler.
Reduction of felt recoil.”

I’ve seen 8dB reduction in noise suppressed reported but that’s easily manipulated.

That's what an adjustable gas block does as well beside bleeding carbon out. Restrict gas just enough to drive the bolt carrier and have it lock back when empty. I can only think the bleed off would be better on hosts with long dwell length that unlock too early.

If you understand most piston systems of machine guns.. they run similarly. Excess is gas is dumped some where.

If you allow the excess to atmosphere, it in theory should reduce the backpressure remaining in barrel. Especially while suppressed.

Pressure likes to take the easiest route. Reversing flow of gas and back into the chamber/receiver... should be less than out of a hole in linear flow, to atmosphere.

Is this true?? No idea. Although I do agree with scientific notion. Logically speaking.

No toe stepping. The system is not flawless. That adjustment screw will eventually freeze/seize.... it requires pmcs...

Is it placebo? Maybe. But... a lot of reports are slightly lower dB when suppressed and marginally cleaner operating systems.

It makes me willing to try. Worst case is, the gas is dumped against suppressor and barrel OD... making a little more cleaning.

*shrug*

My personal views and no factual claims.

I really just want to have the best battlerifle/dmr possible within a set budget. That said, I am thinking about just keeping my current setup and making it work. Nothing is "wrong" with it. Functions reliably both suppressed and unsuppressed... accurate... consistent...

*shrug* maybe I ought just spring for a gasgun to do surgical work.

Thank you all. Inform me of both various stock options and input based upon hands on experience. Either you, or your shooting buddy.

Appreciated!!

Many piston guns still have gas adjustments to delay unlocking. Delaying unlocking is the most important thing.

I am not enlightened enough to debate. Only regurgitating what was told and read. *shrug*

My understanding is a constant vent before the bullet exits muzzle allows all excess gas to escape forward, not redirect into receiver. Is it true? No idea. No proof. Let us leave it as... "hopefully"..

*shrug*

Appreciated

I am not enlightened enough to debate. Only regurgitating what was told and read. *shrug*

My understanding is a constant vent before the bullet exits muzzle allows all excess gas to escape forward, not redirect into receiver. Is it true? No idea. No proof. Let us leave it as... "hopefully"..

*shrug*

Appreciated

In theory it works all I'm saying is that I've seen piston guns with tons of blow back because they were unlocking too soon and that a gas block bleeding off by default doesn't mean better.

If the bleed off helps delay unlocking better than restricting gas then awesome. My guess is that on a long dwell length host it would probably more effective vs short dwell length. Try it out. You can do both with the superlative. The adjustments aren't as fine as some other blocks though.

Lets start with PRS, hunting, and 3 gun are very different and the only thing that they have in common is that someone would use a rifle for all 3. Let's follow that up with- a do it all rifle will suck at all 3. Rounding everything out with- I don't know that anyone that is competitive in 3 gun is running a 308 anything. Rapid follow ups are the order of the day, and you just aren't going to be as fast with a 308 as you will be with a 223. Now, I understand that there is a heavy metal division so we'll just roll with the 308 for now.

PRS favors rifles that are heavy, as they shoot better in the scenarios presented in that sport. Hunting favors rifles that are light as they are carried much more than they are shot, and the targets are generally pretty big and relatively close. 3gun favors rifles that are relatively light as the shooting is fast and dynamic.

But, if I had the rifle above, and was forced to do a do all rifle, I would put a carbine receiver extension (RE) on it and get a magpul PRS gen 3 stock for PRS, and a light weight collapsible stock for hunting and 3gun. The gen 3 PRS fits onto the carbine RE so it is pretty simple to pull one stock off and put another on.

Then again, if it were me, I'd ditch the idea of shooting 3gun with a 308 and get a purpose built 223/5.56 for that game. And, I'd realize that an 18" 308 gas gun is not optimized for PRS, and get a purpose built gun for that duty. Then, I'd do everything I could to shed weight from the 308 gas gun and use that for hunting.

Reactions: Clayman
Lets start with PRS, hunting, and 3 gun are very different and the only thing that they have in common is that someone would use a rifle for all 3. Let's follow that up with- a do it all rifle will suck at all 3. Rounding everything out with- I don't know that anyone that is competitive in 3 gun is running a 308 anything. Rapid follow ups are the order of the day, and you just aren't going to be as fast with a 308 as you will be with a 223. Now, I understand that there is a heavy metal division so we'll just roll with the 308 for now.

PRS favors rifles that are heavy, as they shoot better in the scenarios presented in that sport. Hunting favors rifles that are light as they are carried much more than they are shot, and the targets are generally pretty big and relatively close. 3gun favors rifles that are relatively light as the shooting is fast and dynamic.

But, if I had the rifle above, and was forced to do a do all rifle, I would put a carbine receiver extension (RE) on it and get a magpul PRS gen 3 stock for PRS, and a light weight collapsible stock for hunting and 3gun. The gen 3 PRS fits onto the carbine RE so it is pretty simple to pull one stock off and put another on.

Then again, if it were me, I'd ditch the idea of shooting 3gun with a 308 and get a purpose built 223/5.56 for that game. And, I'd realize that an 18" 308 gas gun is not optimized for PRS, and get a purpose built gun for that duty. Then, I'd do everything I could to shed weight from the 308 gas gun and use that for hunting.
What size barrel would you recommend for prs? I suspect you would opt for a different chambering as well?

...if you seek LOP adjustability, a carbine stock will give you the most adjustability. You didn't say what brand of AR10 you are using but here are a few suggestions that meet the criteria you listed:

If you decide to go with an adjustable gas block, I recommend the ones from SLR. I use them on multiple platforms (300BLK, 223/556, 6ARC, 6.5CM and .308/7.62). I've got all generations of the SLR's and have been 100% reliable since day one.

My .308 is a 16" carbine and with the SLR AGB it was easy to tune for 100% reliable functioning with standard 150 FMJ ball thru 178gn HDY handloads, no readjusting between bullet weights. Been running 100% since 2015.

I use the parts in the links above in my 6.5CM and .308 builds, never experienced any issues.

YMMV...

Thank you all!
Sent you a private message