• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buy cans in pairs, Nomad 30

Pappasniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
AZ
I grabbed a couple more 30 cal cans for my bolt guns. I was a fan of mounts but the direct thread cans have won my heart over time. Anybody run these cans and how did they do? I went with Rifles Only HAD covers, they have worked well in the past.

Mods if this belongs elsewhere, please move and advise. Didn't see an NFA section, maybe I'm blind AND DEAF.

PB

I’ve got a nomad 30 in jail. And a nomad L at home, I wish I’d had just bought two nomad 30’s. I like the L and it sounds awesome but so damn long

I have a Nomad L, a Sandman S And a YHM R9 in jail. The L is long, my lack of knowledge on the suppressor subject caused me to buy it. I am happy with it, just makes a 26" barrel ridiculous. As far as mounts go, I have tried the griffin dual lock (great system) but my rifle was so far off with it, I put the direct thread hub back on and I was within an inch of zero. The sandman I run on semi auto’s, I love living in a free state.

I have a Nomad L, a Sandman S And a YHM R9 in jail. The L is long, my lack of knowledge on the suppressor subject caused me to buy it. I am happy with it, just makes a 26" barrel ridiculous. As far as mounts go, I have tried the griffin dual lock (great system) but my rifle was so far off with it, I put the direct thread hub back on and I was within an inch of zero. The sandman I run on semi auto’s, I love living in a free state.
I was going to order a sandman next year but I’ve sunk so much money into putting a Xeno brake or flash hider on everything that I’ll probably go with a yankee hill can to save money and put the xeno mount on it and run it on my ar’s

I’ve have a Nomad 30 with an… Armageddon cover iirc. I like it. Perhaps more importantly, the people around me like it. I get quite a few comments on how quiet it is on the 20” 6.5 Creed where it spends most of its time. Thinking about blowing the cost of the can again on Area 419 hardware… but not sure the can occasionally loosening while I shoot is worth the effort/expense.

I have the Nomad Ti and a Nomad L in jail. Might wish I'd gone with the 30 vs the L but we will see. I don't have 26" barrels so hopefully it won't be a big deal. I use the YHM mount system and have been happy with it and it's been very repeatable with all my cans.

I have the Nomad Ti and a Nomad L in jail. Might wish I'd gone with the 30 vs the L but we will see. I don't have 26" barrels so hopefully it won't be a big deal. I use the YHM mount system and have been happy with it and it's been very repeatable with all my cans.

I have both and the L is substantially quieter than the Ti, on my 18” 6.5 PRC the Ti is quiet enough for a round or two while hunting but the L I could shoot for a while without ear pro. In that regard I keep the Ti for my hunting rifles and the L for my target rifles.

I have both and the L is substantially quieter than the Ti, on my 18” 6.5 PRC the Ti is quiet enough for a round or two while hunting but the L I could shoot for a while without ear pro. In that regard I keep the Ti for my hunting rifles and the L for my target rifles.

That's why I went the way I did with it. If I can get an answer from eccomachine about something I'm going to send them 2 other cans to recore and then probably just assigne some cans to specific rifles and let em live there.

Reactions: AMGtuned and FuhQ
I went with a Nomad LTi and have a Nomad 30 in jail. My barrels top out at 22" specifically for suppressor use so I don't find the LTi too unwieldy.

Reactions: FuhQ
I’ve have a Nomad 30 with an… Armageddon cover iirc. I like it. Perhaps more importantly, the people around me like it. I get quite a few comments on how quiet it is on the 20” 6.5 Creed where it spends most of its time. Thinking about blowing the cost of the can again on Area 419 hardware… but not sure the can occasionally loosening while I shoot is worth the effort/expense.
What is the area 419 hardware?
PB

@Pappasniper

That would be buying into the Area 419 brake and muzzle adapter eco system. They sell muzzle adapters that you mount (semi) permanently to the rifle. You then can mount Area 419 brakes, the Maverick (their suppressor) or your own can with an Area 419 adapter to the muzzle adapter.

To be honest, I’m not sure what that gets you from a suppressor stand point over direct thread other than allowing you to use the same can between muzzles with different threading and, hopefully, preventing the can from loosening as you shoot (which is a sometimes problem for me).

Dead Air makes the Xeno system which, on the surface, would hold greater appeal to me because it incorporates the muzzle device into the mount. However, I’m not a huge fan of Omni directional brakes (assume the choice was so the brake would not need to be timed). The other consideration is an aesthetic one, if that matters to you.

There are so many good suppressors out there. The Nomad and Nomad-L are just so versatile. For whatever reason, I see the Nomad as my go-to suppressor, when a customer starts talking .30 cal. As the conversations morphs, I might go lighter in titanium or more durable alloys. In fact, we sell far fewer Nomads than we do Surefire RC2 cans, but the Nomad is where I start. Then I find reasons where another suppressor might or might not be a better answer. Plus, I am always learning with suppressors. Personally, I am barrel nerd and riflescope geek, and not a long time expert in the suppressor business, but have been learning fast, and have some great colleagues, suppliers and co-workers who are experts in the field.

If you grow tired of the direct thread, I would opt for the Xeno Mount as @DJL2 mentions or a Rearden Atlas or Atlas XL and one of their brakes or flash hiders. I love the simplicity of the Xeno and the left-hand threading into the Nomad. And, I am liking all things Rearden. They take the time to test and learn, and have become quite creative. If one idea doesn't sell that well, they have another idea on the way. Early stage company with a lot of energy and work ethic and skill.

I was going to order a sandman next year but I’ve sunk so much money into putting a Xeno brake or flash hider on everything that I’ll probably go with a yankee hill can to save money and put the xeno mount on it and run it on my ar’s

Why not get the Nomad? I like mine and having the versatility to run different mounts. I run mine mostly using an Area 419 mount on my precision rifles.

Regular ol nomad was my first can. Still love it. I run it with the keymo sysyem on all my center fires. Its a great compromise between toughness and sound suppression, just a tad but big. The only thing I've got that I still want ear pro with is a 16" ak, all my other stuff is what I wonder hearing safe, or at least comfortable.

We shot these cans on the Bergara 6.5 CM and my 308 FN SPR and both were super quiet. Very impressed with these cans, I felt they were as quiet as my full sized Sig 7.62 can that is near twice the size. Just awesome cans! Also the threads were super tight on the threads and very concentric which is nice. Locked in nice.

PB

Is the length added weight also? Does the L sound more quiet than the 30? What is your barrel length?
I haven’t shot the 30, but I’m sure the length is a small amount of added weight.
I would say the L is more quiet bring it has more baffles.

I’ve shot it on 10.5-20” ar15, 16” Grendel. 16-20” 308 and 24” creedmoor.

I’ve had a lot of people ask about it at the range because of how quiet it sounds

I run a nomad, dominus and sandman k. All have the area 419 adapters so I can run any can on any gun. Nomad was my first can. I’ve had numerous people comment how quiet it is on my dasher at. matches. Like other’s, it’s one of my go to cans when I suggest something for friends.

I run a nomad, dominus and sandman k. All have the area 419 adapters so I can run any can on any gun. Nomad was my first can. I’ve had numerous people comment how quiet it is on my dasher and matches. Like othwer’s, it’s one of my go to cans when I suggest something for friends.
Yeah I have a Nomad Ti and I've had the same thing happen at the range. I have a Nomad L in jail but I'm kind of wishing I'd gotten a 30 instead now after seeing others say how long it is, but maybe I won't care about the length.

Yeah I have a Nomad Ti and I've had the same thing happen at the range. I have a Nomad L in jail but I'm kind of wishing I'd gotten a 30 instead now after seeing others say how long it is, but maybe I won't care about the length.
The length isnt TERRIBLE... what made it bad for me was I added the E brake and keymo mount.. it was insanely long.. I then switched to Xeno and that helped some, but without the e brake and running xeno... its not a bad length and ive ran it on 14.5 ar's fine... but the E brake seems to make a slight difference in recoil/sound, so i leave it on. Ill probably grab one for my 30 when its out of jail.

Reactions: thekingrobert
You will like the L, it’s freakishly quiet. By no means it my opinion scientific but I feel that it’s a good deal more quiet than my TB .338 can.
I was a little disappointed that my Nomad Ti
Has a little more crack to that my Omega.30.

You will like the L, it’s freakishly quiet. By no means it my opinion scientific but I feel that it’s a good deal more quiet than my TB .338 can.
I was a little disappointed that my Nomad Ti
Has a little more crack to that my Omega.30.
Well I'm glad to hear you say that. That's what I sort of had in mind when I bought it was that it would be super quiet. My Ti works very well on my 6.5cm which is where it will reside. I almost have everything dedicated now but I still keep them all on yhm mounts and use the break. In about 30 more min, I'm going to go test out the "new" cans I just got back from Ecco machine and see how everything sounds with the gun I have them dedicated to and adjust zero on 4 rifles. Hopefully it won't take too long because I have to be back for baseball practice.

Once the L gets here, I'm not sure where it will find a home.

Reactions: Hondo1
I use a Nomad Ti with ebrake/direct thread on my bolt guns. Works great from 223 thru 300 win mag. I like the ebrake. Im not sure it makes it any quieter but it does help with recoil. There is a noticeable difference with the 300wm. I run a Nomad 30 with Xeno mount for the AR's.

I use a Nomad Ti with ebrake/direct thread on my bolt guns. Works great from 223 thru 300 win mag. I like the ebrake. Im not sure it makes it any quieter but it does help with recoil. There is a noticeable difference with the 300wm. I run a Nomad 30 with Xeno mount for the AR's.
I've wondered about that e brake and if it really did anything or not.

People claim it does, and it might a little bit, but honestly, I think the noticeability of how MUCH it actually works, is more psychosomatic than anything...
Probably is dependent on the chambering/barrel length. I'd imagine the higher muzzle pressure the more effective the E-brake is.

I've tried it on a 22in 6.5CM and 18.5 308 and it seems effective. But it is a bit hard to quantify I think.

Probably is dependent on the chambering/barrel length. I'd imagine the higher muzzle pressure the more effective the E-brake is.

I've tried it on a 22in 6.5CM and 18.5 308 and it seems effective. But it is a bit hard to quantify I think.
I can agree with that theory... I could see it being more effective on magnums or higher velocity cartridges when running DT mounts, but I feel like it would be pointless on a suppressor that is also using a KeyMo muzzle brake. Because that itself deflects the blast gasses inside of the blast chamber, helping to slightly reduce recoil from dispersion. So I would say using a KeyMount muzzle brake, is probably about as effective as using the eBrake on a non-muzzle brake'd rifle. Thoughts?

I believe the ebrake is basically a muzzle brake and works proportionally like any other (most effective on 300wm). I run a Xeno brake with a Nomad 30 w/ebrake on AR's 223/6.5 CM. They work well together for a reduction in recoil. Sound reduction is more subjective.

I can agree with that theory... I could see it being more effective on magnums or higher velocity cartridges when running DT mounts, but I feel like it would be pointless on a suppressor that is also using a KeyMo muzzle brake. Because that itself deflects the blast gasses inside of the blast chamber, helping to slightly reduce recoil from dispersion. So I would say using a KeyMount muzzle brake, is probably about as effective as using the eBrake on a non-muzzle brake'd rifle. Thoughts?
I think I've read that muzzle brakes used in suppressors don't contribute significantly, if at all, to recoil reduction. If you think about it it makes sense because the can is essentially trying to do the opposite of what the brake is. Containing the high pressure gasses vs redirecting the high pressure gasses.

Anecdotally, I've also not noticed any difference with direct threading vs using a xeno brake. I'm sure others that have actually done testing will chime in.

Well I just put a Nomad L in jail. I'll likely build a 300 Win Mag for shooting from a bench, and I figured the extra volume and an E-brake would cut the recoil down quite a bit.