• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buy or Build Sub 7 pound hunting rifle?

deerhunter9790

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2013
Southern Pines, NC
I am looking to buy a sub 7 pound hunting rifle. Thinking 300 Win mag. I have owned high end rifles and it’s hard to revert backwards but I am not sure I want to drop the coin for a full custom build.

what options are out there that are off the shelf that have a reputation for accuracy and reliability?

So far my options for a lightweight custom build would be:

defiance Action
Proof Carbon barrel
Trigger tech diamond
Manners stock (most likely EH-1)

thanks!

Reactions: Defiance Machine
Gunwerks clymer is a pretty solid lightweight rifle. Balances and feels very nice. Maybe price prohibitive though.

ETA: from what I've seen of Fierce and Christensen it's a gamble on accuracy. I'd bank on a Proof CF barrel shooting better. Nothing wrong with a skinny barrel traditional hunting gun either, in that case I'd look towards Tikka, personally.

decide if you wanna build yourself or pay a builder to do it for you? not sure what you'd find for a factory gun that has as many options or meets that spec

or you're looking around $750 for a tikka that meets your requirements or a Sako from $1500-3000

Reactions: deerhunter9790
Seekins has a new lightweight rifle out. Otherwise Tikka is hard to beat off the shelf for around $750. I'd really think over caliber choice, a sub 7 pound gun (assuming you mean with optic) won't be much fun to shoot in 300 WM. Depending on what other rifles you have I'd consider a lightweight gun in a smaller caliber and maybe a heavier gun in the larger caliber. Food for thought. I built a 6.5 PRC rifle on a Big Horn Origin, manners EH2 stock, 26 inch Rock Creek barrel and a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 and it clocks in at 8 lbs and is a joy to shoot.

Unless you go really short on the barrel, and very light on the scope, you you won’t make sub seven lbs. you’ll be close though. A pencil steel barrel instead of a proof will get you there.

This a lone peak razor(steel), 20” sendero lite(6.5mm), Manners EH4. The rings are missing here. Not a low budget option by any means. Just finishing this one up.
7FFD079B-5A21-4A10-832E-F692643BEF35.jpeg

It’s 8 lbs 3 oz here with the can (no bipod). Little over 7.5 without. The scope weighs 18.5-19oz if I recall. Razor HD LH. Highly recommend it.
CE1B5DB9-C964-429E-9AC1-12C4169A74DC.jpeg

Last edited:
Seekins has a new lightweight rifle out. Otherwise Tikka is hard to beat off the shelf for around $750. I'd really think over caliber choice, a sub 7 pound gun (assuming you mean with optic) won't be much fun to shoot in 300 WM. Depending on what other rifles you have I'd consider a lightweight gun in a smaller caliber and maybe a heavier gun in the larger caliber. Food for thought. I built a 6.5 PRC rifle on a Big Horn Origin, manners EH2 stock, 26 inch Rock Creek barrel and a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 and it clocks in at 8 lbs and is a joy to shoot.
7 pounds is without optic. has to be.

I would look at the Barrett Fieldcraft at 5.2lbs. I believe they make one in a 30-06. I have one in 6.5 cm with Leupold vx5hd and it’s at 6.12lbs all up. They have great accuracy. 3/4 moa 5 shot groups with everything I’ve shot.

Like said above, you'll likely be closer to your goal just running a #1 contour or similar steel barrel. And to each their own, but like @Another Casual said I wouldn't personally own a big magnum at such a light weight. 7 lb .300 would be a beast.

Reactions: Another Casual
I'd also be looking at Proof Elevation rifle, they now have it in 300 Win Mag. BigHorn Origin action, Proof barrel, TriggerTech trigger and their stock. I've ha a chance to handle one in 6.5 Creed and it was a really nicely done rifle. I'll be ordering one in 7MM-08 soon. For the price its a lot of rifle IMHO.

Easy, IMO.

Buy a Bighorn action, Proof shouldered prefit, A&G composites/McMillan, Triggertech of your choice, bottom metal, and call it a day...

I’m all for top of the line stuff, but what is that build going to do for you that a Kimber Montana won’t for $1200 or so? They’re excellent rifles and IMO the best out of the box lightweight hunting rifles there are.

Kimber had some rough years and put out some rifles that were sub par for accuracy and that still hurts them to this day but the rifles that they have been making the last 5 years or so are super solid. Easy 1/2-3/4 MOA rifles with good factory ammo which is better than I can consistently shoot a rifle that light.

I’d rather spend the extra $$ on a hunt, or another gun personally.

Or wait for the Q Mega Fix to drop and see what they weigh.

Or just buy a Fix now in 6.5 Creed or 308 since it’s more than plenty for North American game.

If I were to build something along these lines in a full custom I'd want something like a Origin/TL3 that could run a 280AI and 300PRC or a Helios and add 300NM. Tailor it to the hunt with a barrel versus a whole new rifle

I would look at the Barrett Fieldcraft at 5.2lbs. I believe they make one in a 30-06. I have one in 6.5 cm with Leupold vx5hd and it’s at 6.12lbs all up. They have great accuracy. 3/4 moa 5 shot groups with everything I’ve shot.

This is where my money goes for a lightweight rifle.

Unless you're convinced you need a win mag, I'd seriously consider the 30-06. Have it reamed to an AI for a little extra pep if need be and ditch the belted case.

For what it's worth I've had trigger time behind a 7.25lb (optic included) 280AI. It beat the fuck out of me.
The Barrett is light enough that even the Creed isn't much fun without a suppressor to tame it.

Gunwerks clymer is a pretty solid lightweight rifle. Balances and feels very nice. Maybe price prohibitive though.

ETA: from what I've seen of Fierce and Christensen it's a gamble on accuracy. I'd bank on a Proof CF barrel shooting better. Nothing wrong with a skinny barrel traditional hunting gun either, in that case I'd look towards Tikka, personally.

I have seen that those companies are a gamble which has led me think I should go custom and build my own.
I do also like the Tikka rifles and will give them a look too! Thanks!

that sounds like a solid setup! I wasn’t including the optic in the weight but your build has me thinking about it now.

There is a fierce edge in the classifieds here for 2k

I would buy that. Hell I almost did.

Unless you go really short on the barrel, and very light on the scope, you you won’t make sub seven lbs. you’ll be close though. A pencil steel barrel instead of a proof will get you there.

This a lone peak razor(steel), 20” sendero lite(6.5mm), Manners EH4. The rings are missing here. Not a low budget option by any means. Just finishing this one up.
View attachment 7168691

It’s 8 lbs 3 oz here with the can (no bipod). Little over 7.5 without. The scope weighs 18.5-19oz if I recall. Razor HD LH. Highly recommend it.
View attachment 7168692
I really like that setup!

I was definitely talking 7 pounds without an optic. I plan to look at the lightweight optic options but if I could get it right at the 7 pound mark with rifle, base, and rings that would be ideal. It will be shot suppressed. I appreciate all the awesome feedback. You guys have added at least a day of research to my life to explore the recommendations

Reactions: Gobears16
Now why would anyone in their right mind actually do that? :unsure:

Some would argue that extra 15oz is almost a full pound you're carrying for 1 shot!

I'll argue that it's much more pleasant, and I only gather dope for my threaded guns with the can on.
I was definitely talking 7 pounds without an optic. I plan to look at the lightweight optic options but if I could get it right at the 7 pound mark with rifle, base, and rings that would be ideal. It will be shot suppressed. I appreciate all the awesome feedback. You guys have added at least a day of research to my life to explore the recommendations

You could look into Defiance's aluminum action options or there are a few titanium ones out there (I think lone peak?). Either way, that's a good route to cut out a good chunk of weight.

Easy, IMO.

Buy a Bighorn action, Proof shouldered prefit, A&G composites/McMillan, Triggertech of your choice, bottom metal, and call it a day...
I am very intrigued by the prefit setup. Is there any loss in accuracy using the prefit setups? I love my bighorn TL2 action so I am sure the TL3 is even better

View attachment 7168691

View attachment 7168692
Man I’ve been waiting to see you’re rifle . Awesome . Might do the exact build in 6.5 prc.

I really like that setup!
Man I’ve been waiting to see you’re rifle . Awesome . Might do the exact build in 6.5 prc.

I’m pretty happy with it, thank you.

I went back and forth over going PRC or not. Ultimately, I just don’t think I need it. About the same time I got all the parts together, I got a Q Fix and started tinkering with it. Just this morning I chambered a 16.5” proof Carbon for it, in 6.5x47. It’s actually a few ounces heavier that the lone peak surprisingly. I really like it, and since it folds, it may get the nod for hunting more than the lone peak.

1B837543-58B7-45E4-BEB9-F863D023A5E3.jpeg

With a TBAC ultra 7
6E68B40F-0FFB-42B8-B7BB-20D96765E30F.jpeg

If you're talking 7lbs before scope, it should be very easy to get there.

Figure out what you want in a rifle and go from there. I've had a couple Christensen Arms in 300WM and 300WSM and both shot under MOA with every factory load I shot.

I agree that a 7lb rifle is about the perfect balance between weight and "shootability". I've went thru the cycle of flyweights to boat anchors and back.

If budget weren't a concern I would probably just buy a Proof factory rifle with the defiance hunter action.

$300 Remington 700 ADL and pull a scope off your other rifle. If you must, a $300 McMillan knock off stock. Less than $750 in it including an after market trigger. Even with the cost of a muzzle break your under a grand

No game on earth will know it’s not a multi thousand dollar hunting rig. Sub MOA, more then accurate enough for ethical hunting distances. Just my thoughts.

$300 Remington 700 ADL and pull a scope off your other rifle. If you must, a $300 McMillan knock off stock. Less than $750 in it including an after market trigger. Even with the cost of a muzzle break your under a grand

No game on earth will know it’s not a multi thousand dollar hunting rig. Sub MOA, more then accurate enough for ethical hunting distances. Just my thoughts.
I definitely think it will get the job done. It’s just a personal thing at this point. After building all my own ARs for a while now it seems like it would be more fun/personal to piece together my own rifle.

If you're talking 7lbs before scope, it should be very easy to get there.

Figure out what you want in a rifle and go from there. I've had a couple Christensen Arms in 300WM and 300WSM and both shot under MOA with every factory load I shot.

I agree that a 7lb rifle is about the perfect balance between weight and "shootability". I've went thru the cycle of flyweights to boat anchors and back.

If budget weren't a concern I would probably just buy a Proof factory rifle with the defiance hunter action.
I really like the Christenson but it seems like it can be hit or miss. After pouring through the forums I really like the bighorn or nucleus action combined with a pre fit proof carbon barrel. Now struggling on the choice of caliber. 300 win mag still seems to be the #1 based on proven track record and ease of finding ammo everywhere

I don't think you could go wrong with a 300wm. I went with a 300wsm, but mostly because I ended up with a wsm donor.