• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buyers Beware!! Total Disgrace to our Passion

CyberPunkBebop

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2011
Hello All,

This is my second Thread here @ SnipersHide. My first was about a rifle I picked up back in Mid-Late October.
Mike Rock Barrel Questions

I picked that gun up off of Gunbroker, and this Thread is a sort of Follow-up.

First, let me preface what follows with some background info:
I have been using auction sites since 2001, and luckily I have NEVER been screwed. Over the past 10-11 years I've bought cars, motorcycles, guitars, and guns, all through various auction pages such as eBay & Gunbroker. Obviously, things don't always go smoothly - and there's been cases where I've needed to return an item or file a claim with FedEx - but I've always done my research and contacted the seller BEFORE buying to make sure things would go (mostly) well. I've also sold many, many items on eBay, so I know how it all works. I pride myself on having integrity, as well as accurately describing the item for sale - as I know many of the members of our community here do the same.

Well, unfortunately I was finally f****d over! Haha.
His name is Brad Richardson and his shop is called Long Range Precision in Andersonville, TN.

The rifle he sold me (that was listed on Gunbroker) was billed as a "Remington 700 .308 Custom/Tactical Build." His description was: "This auction is for a custom built Remington 700 in 308. The action has been blue printed and trued. It has a 1 in 11 twist 22" Rock Creek Barrel. The muzzle is threaded 5/8x24 and is suppressor ready. The action is glass bedded in an H S Precision stock. The trigger has been adjusted to a nice crisp 3-3.5 lbs. The bolt has had a tactical knob installed onto it."

The description was a bit lacking, and he only had 3 pictures, but his feedback was all positive and in the 200's, so I decided to contact him for more info. I emailed him about 10 times: asking about the life of the rifling, whether a thread protector was included, what taper was the barrel, what sling studs were in the stock, how many rounds has it seen, is it more accurate than a stock remy, etc etc. He answered all my questions and it sounded like a pretty decent starting point for a build I was planning, so I agreed to send him the USPS Money Order.

Well, when the rifle first arrived, and there was no indication of the caliber on the barrel, that was my first red flag. At that point I started that first thread to try and figure out what was going on. Luckily, with the help of y'all, I got some good info, and also was turned onto Jered at APA.

So I got the rifle in October, sent it to Jered by the end of October, talked to Jered for awhile about the direction I wanted to go in, and then waited for it to be my turn. This was my first "Custom" rifle build, and I was really excited to start my m40-style rifle project. Up until now I've only been shooting old 30-06s and stock remy 700s with Leupold glass.

Well, when it was my turn, and Jered called me about 2 weeks ago, I was in for a REAL shock. Jered told me that he couldn't move forward with my muzzle brake because the threading on the muzzle was completely crooked and out of spec. Not only that, but the crown on the barrel has a bad bur where someone put a 60 deg live center in the crown when they threaded the muzzle. Also, not only does the crown look like a train-wreck, but the thread cap doesn't even fit right. Also, The receiver threads are very loose and there's a lot of slop. Also, the recoil lug was put on backwards. Also, the action has not been touched. Also, there is no glass bedding anywhere to be seen. Also, none of the bolts were tightened down to spec. Also, the rifling does not look "just broken in w/ about 20 rounds" as Brad told me in an email, but rather it looks, according to Jered, "like a pile of dog shit."

Not only will this rifle NOT out-shoot a stock remy like Brad advertised, but it's just plain dangerous to shoot! Jered said it was one of the worst barrel jobs/setups he's ever seen! I'm lucky that I never took it to the range when I first got it, but rather sent it to Jered to get in line for my build, because that rifle basically looks like it was put together by a drunk.

So, I've emailed Brad many, many times with no response. He is still selling on gunbroker under the user name LRPRifle. I tried asking questions about items for sale there, and he responded... so I know he is just ignoring my emails. I didn't want to bring up a bunch of negative crap around Christmas and New Years, but now it's on! haha. I'm gonna start calling him tomorrow to see if I can get a hold of him and get reimbursed for the cost of the barrel. I know it's probably a lost caused, but I have to try - maybe whatever side of him got all that positive feedback will resurface again? The good news is that at least the stock, action, and trigger are all usable... just not the barrel so much.

Well, I know that was a long post, so I apologize, but I just HATE to hear about when stuff like this happens to other people, and now it's my turn, so I felt I needed to warn others about this man's business practices.

On a more positive note, now I can kinda rethink my initial build. haha! I was going to put this 22" barrel into a Manners T3 Stock, Coat the barrel and action, use the LB brake/Thread Cap combo, and use this rifle as a sort of All-Purpose plinking/hunting/competition stick with some Premier Light 3-15x glass on top. All I would have been left with was the HS Stock... which I would have sold. But now I may just ditch that plan and go with my 2nd build idea - 20" barrel in a Manners T2A stock with some Premier 6-20x Horus glass. Not quite as "All-Purpose" as the T3 & 22" combo, but what do you guys think who run the different style setups? I know I'll eventually build/own both, but which do you think I should tackle first? I guess the other option is to just keep the HS stock and turn the current rifle into an old M24 copy, but if I do that I'll just keep thinking about the 2 builds I wanna do every time I go shoot!
grin.gif

J.S.

Re: Buyers Beware!! Total Disgrace to our Passion

I'm gonna start calling him today and see if I can reach him. The hours I've been working lately haven't been very conducive to regular business hours.
Thanks for the # Merlin. That matches the # I currently have on file.

J.S.

stay on him get the word out. that sucks when people do that sh*t. nothing wrong with the m24 good gun but i would build what you want you have to live with it

i will call him and say i hear you are screwing people yea i heard it through the grapevine.

On the bright side, the action not being touched is a good thing in this case. At least they didn't screw that up also.

Police can always correct fraud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanTarget</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Police can always correct fraud. </div></div>

the police aren't going to do a thing about this.

guess i dont get why u bought a "custom" gun to only have it reworked into something else? Buy a plain jane rem 700 strip it down and then get to work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanTarget</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Police can always correct fraud. </div></div>

LOL.

Fraud is a civil matter...

Pokes; I was thinking the same thing, unless it was a "good deal" but then it may have been too good to be true.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanTarget</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Police can always correct fraud. </div></div>

LOL.

Fraud is a civil matter...</div></div>

not necessarily, bank fraud, mail fraud are not, they carry jail time. Civil matters don't carry jail time.

Pokes-
Yea, normally that would be the best way to go. But <span style="font-weight: bold">IF </span>this gun wasn't all messed up I would have got: a Mike Rock M40 contour 22" threaded barrel, trued action, a pretty nice trigger, and a bolt knob already installed... all for LESS than what I would have paid for a stock plain jane remy. All I would have been left with was the HS Stock, which I could have sold off. So that's why I went the way I did this time.

GoBig-

Yeah, but unfortunately it's out of the Gunbroker system now. But I did print off a copy for my records before it got erased.

Quick update:

-Spoke with Brad on the phone today and he was quite a gentleman.
-He said he sells a lot of guns, so he can't remember off the top of his head which remy I was talking about (understandable), but that he'd take a look Monday when he was back in the office.
-I'm emailing him the action S/# so he can look it up in his files to see where the gun came from (used,estate sale,in shop build, etc), and then get back to me... so we'll see Monday what happens. Keeping my fingers crossed that he does the right thing, and that balance is restored to The Force.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bebop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick update:

-He said he sells a lot of guns, so he can't remember off the top of his head which remy I was talking about (understandable), but that he'd take a look Monday when he was back in the office.
-I'm emailing him the action S/# so he can look it up in his files to see where the gun came from (used,estate sale,in shop build, etc), and then get back to me... so we'll see Monday what happens. Keeping my fingers crossed that he does the right thing, and that balance is restored to The Force.
</div></div>

FWIW, you might have tried calling him before you posted your initial slam. If he resolves the issue, an appropriate apology is in order.

Oh, and for a shooter, "Ready, fire, aim" isn't the best strategy.

FH

On your next build let Jered build the rifle. He does great work!!

Tell Jered you want to see his checklist that he does on his rifles. It's insane everything he goes over. All the diffrent measurments he records from the barrel work etc...

If it leaves APAs shop it will be right!!

Sorry about your bad luck.

Also, stock choice should always be about what feels best to you. A T2 and T3 are totally diffrent in feel. Stock choice IMO is extremely important. If it don't feel good you ain't gonna shoot to your full potential

best of luck

Joe

Sounds like a raw deal but maybe this guy will make it good with you. At least you are in very good hands now, Jered is one of the best! As you already have found out he is very thorough and will tell you like it is, that is one of the things I like best about the man. Good luck with getting this worked out.

I am always nervous when a deal seems to be TOO good. If it were me I would focus on the unsafe issues with the seller. That part is hard to overlook.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flatbush Harry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bebop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick update:
</div></div>
FWIW, you might have tried calling him before you posted your initial slam. If he resolves the issue, an appropriate apology is in order.

Oh, and for a shooter, "Ready, fire, aim" isn't the best strategy.

FH </div></div>Why? When a gunsmith does this much damage to a firearm and knowing sold this rifle people should know. Or maybe with a little luck it can be me or you to get a rifle from him next that is junk

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bebop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick update:

</div></div>

If he was a crook and he built it he would say he bought it used and said customer brought it in like that.

Hope he makes it right.

or one smiths standards might be way higher than the builders but the rifle may still perform fine. without seeing the original ad and email correspondences, i'm not going to jump to conclusions on this one.

i may look at machine work on a barrel that in my opinion looks like shit, but it just came off of a rifle that had been winning matches. i'm not making excuses for shitty work but there are different opinions on what is shitty.

i guess it must have been to good to be true... think a $550 stock remy would have been cheaper THEN add a rock barrel, worked action, new manners or mcmillian stock, trued blued and tattooted gun. And know what u got from the start! ive built a few and alway start from scratch cause to falt is human.......

I have had LRP thread a few barrels for me and they have always done a great job. It sucks to hear about your experience.

@ Flatbush & 300

I feel wdebo is right, and no "apology" is in order. I never attacked Brad personally, I never said bad things about him or his Mom... I merely started this thread to bring to attention some factual information about a rifle that was sold to me. I think there's some confusion about the issues here. It is not that I need a shoulder to cry on, or that I'm a perfectionist, or that this is some "ugly-looking-but-match-winning-rifle"... this gun was DANGEROUS to shoot and completely f'd up inside. It was barely put together. Also, the advertisement for the gun was COMPLETELY inaccurate and 100% false. It was a lie. Jered verified it was all a lie when I showed him the auction page. I agree that a seller should inspect a gun before he sells it off and potentially kills a customer, or someone standing near that customer. Finally, I couldn't have called him any sooner - first there was Christmas and New Years. Second, I'm basically at work 7-11, so it's not very conducive to calling up a Gun Shop. Today was my first day off in awhile.

I do not make a living as a Gunsmith, like Jered, so to ME this rifle just looked a bit rough around the edges. Sure I was a bit concerned about the Thread Cap not fitting, no caliber markings on the barrel, a gritty-feeling action, etc... but if Jered could turn this gun into a shooter I wouldn't have started this thread. But the gun was so bad, Jered had to call me up, tell me he couldn't do the work I ordered, and ask if this was a bad joke or something.

IF Brad rights this, I will of course publicly thank him for his integrity and take back my feelings of concern towards doing business with him. I will also publicly tell others that I'm extremely happy with his integrity and customer service. However, if things don't turn out well, at least in the meantime, by starting this thread, I can try to help avoid something similar from happening to someone else.

It is a consumers right to post a negative "review" based on getting a product that is a complete lie and dangerous to use. I will of course post another updated "review" based on how Brad handles this.

Thanks for your advice on starting new builds in the future guys. I will definitely take your advice and start from scratch next time. If this would have worked out, all I would have needed to do was buy the T3, and then have Jered do the setup. Seemed much simpler at the time. But next time I'm just gonna do it the 100% foolproof way
grin.gif

Thanks for the great tip .257. I wish I could get my hands on both stocks. I'm sure that would help me decide which build I want to tackle first. For now I may just flip a coin as to whether I do the "hunting gun" or "long range gun" build first
wink.gif

J.S.

Call Tim Manners

He may have so extras laying around and might ship them to you to try and see which is the best for you. Then make a decision.

My vote goes to the T3

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bebop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@ Flatbush & 300

I feel wdebo is right, and no "apology" is in order. I never attacked Brad personally </div></div>

Gee, how could any reasonable person misconstrue the title of this thread or for that matter the content of your first post to somehow imply that you were making a personal attack?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bebop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@ Flatbush & 300

I feel wdebo is right, and no "apology" is in order. I never attacked Brad personally </div></div>

Gee, how could any reasonable person misconstrue the title of this thread or for that matter the content of your first post to somehow imply that you were making a personal attack? </div></div>
Yea... My thoughts exactly. I've made the mistake of calling someone out here on the Hide. Not a great idea when you haven't done EVERYTHING you can to resolve the problem in private first. Oh, and you can rest assured he's read every bit of this thread. The firearms world is a very small world.

Glad he is helping you out.
If you do work of poor quality people find out and being a gunsmith does not make you exempt from that. It's one thing for parts to get confused or the wrong rings placed on your rifle. If the rifle is built poorly their is nothing wrong with letting people know. Also is the builder of this rifle who you bought this rifle from?

I don't believe he has any reason to apologize for the post. He stated facts as a warning. Irregardless of whether or not the problem is fixed, he has a right to inform others of the mistake in the first place. If you are going to auction a rifle: you should be completely honest in the ad and if you bought said rifle from someone else, you had better inspect that rifle BEFORE you sell it to someone else. If the rifle is in as bad a shape has he has said, there is no reason that rifle should have ever been auctioned off.

OK. I can understand where some of you are coming from, but in this particular case your worries/points are not very relevant.
- The rifle is not usable. I was told it was.
- The rifle was sold with a description. I emailed Brad multiple times to confirm that description. Turns out everything he said was 100% false.
- Jered, a respected Smith, verified that the description was all a bunch of BS. Those facts can not be ignored.

I don't need to walk on egg shells about those facts. Like Jbell said, looks like I found the right Smith for me! Haha! Stick to the facts and tell it like it is. People F**K up. I F**k up. That’s life. Unfortunately (for merchants) if you F**K up bad these days, chances are it will be "reviewed" on the interweb.
wink.gif
How you handle it is what’s important. Let's say you were sold a used car, and when you drove it off the lot the wheels fell off, and the engine exploded, and the mileage switched to 999,999... you wouldn't try to do some research online to see if others had the same experience with that dealer? I searched for Brad and LRP and found nothing, so I started this thread. I'm in the restaurant business. If you give a food critic a shitty meal, they don't call you up and ask if you want a second chance... they tear you to SHREDS in the Paper and Online. I am NOT trying to tear Brad to shreds, I'm just saying I don't think me starting a thread about this is going to hurt his feelings.

Maybe there was a misunderstanding about the intentions of my Post with a few of you, and if that is true then I apologize for coming off as I did. I apologize if you feel I came across as an ass, or was trying to personally embarrass someone, or going after someone who wasn't able to defend themselves... But the fact remains that I never meant to call BRAD a Disgrace, or go after HIM, or try to kick HIS dog. I'm merely trying to discuss the facts/condition of the RIFLE I was sold. And that rifle IS a disgrace. My gut tells me that he didn't build this rifle. And that it was probably a used rifle that he failed to look over and decided to sell anyways. Yes, people do make mistakes. But unless you're called out on your mistakes, you will probably make them over and over again. And when people get complacent around guns, people can get hurt/killed that shouldn't have. Since I'm not a Smith, there's a very good chance that I wouldn't have caught most of these major issues, and instead just used a dangerous rifle. Does a drill instructor take you over behind a building where no one else can hear and quietly say you F'd up? No. Now, I am NOT saying that I'm Brad's superior... I'm just saying I'm sure he can handle admitting he sold me junk. However, I am willing to give the man a chance to correct this; I'm not just sitting here on the internet badmouthing him. But in the meantime, I did feel that buyers should beware. And I still (as does Jered) feel that this rifle was a complete disgrace, and should never have been sold/advertised as it was. If you feel so strongly otherwise, feel free to call up Jered @ APA and see if I'm just whining and exaggerating.

Like I said, I find a positive in the fact that JonM replied to my post and said he has had a GOOD experience with LRP. That gives me HOPE, when at first I just felt completely screwed over. That was a benefit from me posting - getting other members' feedback on this seller to help further educate myself on his business practices. That's part of the main reason I posted BEFORE completely resolving this issue with him over the phone. Keep in mind, however, that my emails were ignored for over a week, while emails I sent over Gunbroker inquiring about items currently for sale were answered
wink.gif
I also find light in the fact that he has so many positive feedbacks on Gunbroker. I also said I found light in the fact that Brad was a gentleman on the phone, and that I'm looking forward to him righting this wrong. If he read(s) this thread, I hope he is mature enough to not get emotional/defensive and see that I am merely a screwed over customer that is searching for some answers; And also trying to warn others of what MIGHT happen to them should they buy a similar rifle from LRP in the near future.

I know my posts were quite long, and that a lot was buried in there, but that does not take away from the fact that he sold a rifle that was dangerous to use. If I would have managed to squeeze a suppressor on those threads at the range, it would have exploded because the threading is completely off-center. If I would have fired 100+ rounds at the range, there's a good chance the bolts holding the action/barrel together would have backed out and fallen apart. Bullet shavings from the BAD burr on the muzzle would have flown around at the range. I would have had no control over where my bullets hit my targets. You don't consider those issues dangerous? We're not playing tennis here, these are weapons.

So, I hold no hatred towards Brad the man. However, I am extremely upset with the rifle he sold me - he has my money and I have a paperweight. I hope that he can be man enough to admit he made a huge mistake and right this. And if that happens I will of course publicly thank him, tell others about the awesome customer service I got, and look forward to doing business with him in the future. However, if things don't turn out... well then nothing I stated here has any weight over the decision he makes. In the meantime, I refuse to run around in circles with the few that feel they need to save face, or be contrarions or devil's advocates; or feel the need to debate about semantics and ignore the real issues: This rifle had NO business being sold after I emailed him close to 10 TIMES, back and forth, in order to verify it was setup to shoot.

Thanks for the suggestion .257! I'll try to call him up next week!

J.S.

I dont think an apology from you is necessary! This guy sold you a rifle that was unsafe and not as described. Even if he does make it right you dont owe him shit!

Bebop, I dont thinks its so much that people are walking on egg shells. If I were in your situation I would also be disgruntled and you have a right to be. However the boss man being Lowlight put R.O.E.'s in effect that state that he does not want to see bashing on the the forums and that if you have a problem to attempt to e-mail and call the company or person that you have issue with before making a negative posts about it on the forum. You did attempt several e-mails and had just called him and are trying to give the person the ability to rectify the situation. Now that being said I feel you should be able to warn people of someone or a company of other than honorable buisness practices as long as its done professionally. I am glad that you were able to get your stick up an running after all the issues.

I'll be sure to stay away from Brad and Long Range Precision.

Hmmm. I thought I might have been drug into this publicly. Some of the verbage may have been expressed in a slightly different manner but these facts remain:

The action hasn't been trued as advertised

The stock hasnt been bedded as advertised

The trigger I can't remember so no comment. I'm on the road currently.

The threads are a fair amount out of spec. Don't know if they are straight or not.

The crown is shot. The live center rolled a really ugly burr on top of every land.

The breach threads are REALLY loose. My comment was pretty doesn't shoot but thIs is pretty bad.

I didn't check the headspace because at that point I didn't see the need.

The main point was that he didn't get what he paid for and he should. Contact the seller. I just couldn't do the work requested in good faith. I had to let him know what he had before we put more money into it. As bad as I hate to let these words come out of my mouth it needs to be said. Whomever put this barrel on needs to take a step back from the lathe. I don't know who did it so I'm not pointing fingers at anyone intentionally. Just stating that we all gotta start somewhere and this needs to be refined before it can be sold publicly.

Not a single one of us walk on water. We have to learn and improve as we go but this is also the only single act where you hold a controlled explosion 6"s from your head and expect things to be ok. That being said know and trust your gun plumber or go find one that you do.

Thanks for the heads up. If it all happened like you say then I hope you get some kind of refund, and hope this never happens again. I don't know anything about LRP but I'd say you are working with a top notch gunsmith now. I've only heard very good things about APA.

1) a mistake on this Brad's part (honest mistake?, maybe or maybe not??)

2) I was thinking maybe he read some of this thread and got scared into seeing that he might not be able to sell stuff too much longer after word spread around.

3) He's stalling... and/or making an excuse.

4) wrong ad with wrong gun. But i agree with Jered about the advertised vs what you actually got.

Sorry this happened to you Bebop - hopefully you get everything "righted"! i'm still paying for my "misadvertisement" on a car.

There are bolts holding the barrel and action together???
pavementends

If I ever purchased a gun from a gunsmith with a quality reputation I would expect that the firearm, if not built by that gunsmith would have been at least inspected by and any deficiency corrected by that gunsmith before it was sold. The gunsmiths reputation goes with that firearm even if he had not built it, Just my opinion. stand behind what you sell and you will never have to worry about repeat clients, they will always come back. Just my opinion after 40 years in sales. Hope everything works out well for everyone.

Jered-
Thank You very much for commenting on this. I was sincerely hoping not to drag you into it, let alone when you were on the road for a show ... but like you said, you're the professional here, not me, and without your input it can all digress to a "my word vs his word" sort of argument. Therefore, that is why I used your good name in my posts – to give them some credibility. However, now I'll just let your words speak for themselves.

Zebra-
Thanks for the heads up on the ROE's. Hopefully nothing like this ever happens again, but if it does I’ll be sure to just post the final outcome, rather than try to get input as I resolve the situation. However, my stick isn't up and running, it is still very much unusable at the current time. I Basically have a bolt gun, minus the barrel. I am still waiting to get a call back from LRP regarding this issue.
Also, I completely agree that some verbiage may have been expressed differently, and that is why I offered an apology to anyone who felt offended... but as most of us know, it is not always the easiest task to self-edit when someone just ripped you off, is giving you the runaround, and you're searching for some answers.
blush.gif

pavementends-
Haha! Nice Catch! You mean your barrel doesn't have a huge bolt running through the center of it???... I was referring to the bolts/screws holding the barreled action to the stock, as well as the threads holding the action to the barrel. "Bolts" was a lot easier to type
whistle.gif

So I was promised a call back today. Just getting home from work and no voicemails/missed calls. Had my cell on me all day/night at work, and nothing there either. Over the past week I have sent close to a dozen emails to the address Brad told me to use. Still no reply. I have also called a couple times when I got a minute away from work and got nothing. Looks like I'll have to try and call him again tomorrow on my non-existent lunch break. -_-

the guys a major shit bag .Try contacting again asking for XWYZ that you want ,if you dont have any luck do you have a lesser court for minor personal civil disputed where the value being claimed is under a certain amount and you can make a claim against him and defend it yourself ?If so do it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you dont have any luck do you have a lesser court for minor personal civil disputed where the value being claimed is under a certain amount and you can make a claim against him and defend it yourself ?If so do it </div></div>

THIS IS A JUDGE JUDY EPISODE IN THE MAKING LOL

I was going to avoid this very interesting thread, but I couldn't help myself.
With regards to the rifle, I'm glad the OP sent it to a professional, who also happens to be well credentialed and respected. The revelation of this pile of mashed up buttholes of a rifle was important, primarily for safety reasons and I'm glad no one was hurt.
The fact is- and please- no one get their feathers ruffled over this because it doesn't apply to everyone- a LOT of dealers have no phuqing clue what they are looking at. They know models, history, loads of info- but gunsmiths they aren't and knowledgeable of gunsmithing techniques they are not. So the dealer, probably (this is all theory however close to many examples of fact) probably got this gun on trade from someone who may not have known ANY more than he did. OR he go it traded in by someone who got burnt and knew it OR some asshat that 'built' it and sold or traded it to make a buck.
The dealer is relying on the information he was given to resell it, and was PROBABLY hoping to cash in big on a 'custom tactical blah blah blah' and you happen to have won the lottery and snatched it up.
Does he owe you anything? Well........yes and no. Quite honestly the original builder may have been tickled pink thinking he did an awesome job and proud of his work- but. He didn't, and ultimately the original 'builder' shoulders the responsibility but it would be kind of the dealer to help compensate you in some way, and seek his own justice as he sees fit however difficult it might be.
For instance- several years ago my cell rings and a friend who works for a dealer is quite frantically telling me I need to come and look at this rifle the dealer was considering taking in on trade. The rifle in question was built by a WELL KNOWN phuqup ashhat Phuqtard who claimed to have gone to school at Ferlach and yaddah yaddah (All proven to be bullshit). When I got there to inspect it, it was a barreled Swede action, in a synthetic butler creek, with a bolt that had been 'cutom color case hardened'.
REALLY?
When the handle was bent, the bolt had not been disassembled, AT ALL. Shroud, cocking piece, extractor, firing pin/spring, extractor collar- all of it. Varying shades of gold and purple from the torch.
WOW.
Needless to say, dealer passed on my judgement and declined to trade. The customer was irate because he was taken by the 'smith' and when the whole story was revealed, the bolt was out of a blown up gun that was merely swapped out to the gun in question. Case hardened parts? On a krylon green barrel in a black synthetic? Come the phuq on...........
Anyway- point being the gun dealer probably had no idea what he had or sold, and no telling how far back the real culprit is- and how responsibility can be applied.
Hope it all works out for you, recommend to your dealer he have a qualified professional inspect such custom allegations in the future to avoid this and save good customers like you and his own good name.

Long Range Precision is registered as a type 07 - Manufacturer FFL licensed dealer. A quick net search makes it clear they at least do barrel cutting and threading. He is clearly more than a "dealer" who is unaware of what he is passing on. He should have spotted the problems in the rifle for sale in about 2 seconds. Ignoring the emails and failing on callbacks is intentional and generally an admission of guilt. Being busy is not an excuse for screwing someone over. Many great companies with great customer service are busy. Many of these companies are very busy because of their customer service. If customer service is a thorn in your side and you prefer to ignore it, you are going to be bad at it.

On the positive side, this kind of exposure should ultimately prevent some work from being sent to Long Range Precision in the future. Maybe this will give him enough time to pay attention to what is coming out of his shop before someone gets hurt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bebop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The rifle he sold me (that was listed on Gunbroker) was billed as a "Remington 700 .308 Custom/Tactical Build."
J.S. </div></div>

You got what you ordered...just not in the way you were thinking...kinda like the way people voted a few years ago...we got "change" just not the way they thought it should be.

Sorry about your luck but it can be helpful to us all in the future.

Gjantzer-
Exactly! Very well put on all accounts! You said it perfectly.

Beef-
Thank You for your input, and for taking the time to write that! You made some VERY interesting/valid points. And that's quite a story you've got! Haha!
Mannn... I bet the guy was pissed! I know I was when Jered called me.

But as Gjantzer has mentioned, this guy should have known better. The major issue was/is that I contacted the Seller MULTIPLE times BEFORE purchasing the gun. When I wrote the Seller, asking him about the gun, he verified that the description of the gun was completely accurate. He had NUMEROUS chances to look inside the gun while I was asking him question after question about its condition... but instead, he neglected to ever actually INSPECT the gun... It would have taken him only 5 minutes to see that the gun was unfit to sell, and that he got ripped off when he agreed to buy it used... but instead, he answered all of my detailed & specific questions based purely off of assumptions he had made, and then passed the pile of junk on to me. Of course, the alternative is that he just lied to me, but we'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

It’s a great reminder that if you agree to go into a contract, then basing all your information purely off of conjecture isn't the smartest move, because when the hammer drops, you're still expected to hold up your side of the contract. Simply saying, "Well, I never actually looked," is not going to get you out of a contract. Just like saying, "Sorry officer, I didn't know that robbing a bank was illegal" or “Shit, She LOOKED 18” is not going to keep you out of jail. haha!

If you work on guns for a living, it's pretty hard to overlook the issues that Jered found, let alone the Burrs that ruined the crown. I mean, I was literally on the phone with Jered for less than 4 minutes while he basically completely tore down my gun and saw problem after problem after problem. As you said, what one person sees is not always what another CAN see... but in this particular case most (if not all) of these issues should have been noticed pretty quickly by Brad. Again, I do think you raise some very interesting points, but this time it mostly comes down to neglect.

Finally, according to a few members input - and according to Brad himself - he does seem to do pretty decent work... with some of his guns "winning competitions..." so we'll just have to take them all at their word, and assume that what basically happened was Brad neglected to check the gun because he was busy. But hopefully this experience will help remind him/others that it's worth taking the 5 minutes out of your busy day to inspect something before you buy it and then assure someone else it's GTG. Mortally wounding your customers isn't necessarily the best business plan
eek.gif