• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Buying a CompM5. Factory Mount or Aftermarket?

JS8588

Ballistic Hipster
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2020
NEPA
I'm putting together my go-to build & will have enough extra commission $ in my next paycheck to buy an Aimpoint CompM5 for it.

Planning to make the drive up to EuroOptic and get it from them unless you all have a better recommendation.

Now the question: do I just get the red dot & buy an aftermarket mount or is the factory QD mount good enough/worth the $? My intent was to go ahead & get it with the factory QD Mount & riser, but consulting the experts here seemed like a good idea.

I have no experience with factory Aimpoint mounts. They should be ok, but for the money you're already spending I'd go with a Geissele mount.

I know you're going with EuroOptic, but you can also find good bundles at other places. Who knows nowadays though, might all be out of stock.

Factory aim point mount is perfectly serviceable... to the point there are millions on service rifles all around the globe.

That was my suspicion. "Wisdom of crowds" & all that, though...

I have no experience with factory Aimpoint mounts. They should be ok, but for the money you're already spending I'd go with a Geissele mount.

I know you're going with EuroOptic, but you can also find good bundles at other places. Who knows nowadays though, might all be out of stock.

I'm planning to go with EuroOptic. That LaRue bundle for like $830 shipped is tempting, though.

Reactions: Zane1844
Factory aim point mount is perfectly serviceable... to the point there are millions on service rifles all around the globe.
The only experience I have with them was on my M4 and it constantly came loose under use. An LT who didn't tie is down lost it out in the field.

These things were old and beat to fuck though. I should have included that in my original post, but I don't know if it's a fair assessment.

Which mount was it? The QRP and later mounts are gtg. Always possible your mount broke with the thrashing these guns get but I had an arms room full of them and have seen more broken M68's and M4's than mounts.

Lots of good options out there if you want to go aftermarket however.

I just can't stomach M5 prices when I can get new Pros for $425.

Which mount was it? The QRP and later mounts are gtg. Always possible your mount broke with the thrashing these guns get but I had an arms room full of them and have seen more broken M68's and M4's than mounts.

Lots of good options out there if you want to go aftermarket however.

I just can't stomach M5 prices when I can get new Pros for $425.

I'm honestly not sure. It was a thumb screw mount for the CompM2. I don't remember if it was different than the ones on the CompM4s.

Once the 11B's got the Elcan, us 11C got the ACOG and I was happy after that. Even though the first one issued was broken.

Reactions: JS8588
Talked to Jason today since he was recommend by the Hide. Unless someone talks me out of it in the next 36 hours, looks like I'm buying it with the OEM mount.

If you order it with no mount you can get the M5 and a Scalarworks mount for almost the same price as the LRP with M5

Reactions: krumfola
If you order it with no mount you can get the M5 and a Scalarworks mount for almost the same price as the LRP with M5

My intent is to do absolute cowitness, not lower 1/3rd, so Scalarworks is out as an option.

So uh, funny thing happened this afternoon. I decided to stick the Aimpoint on my lightweight "bump in the night" build because it already has fixed irons set up on it. Y'know, just to zero it with the irons & get better acquainted with the new piece of equipment.

Yeah, it lives there now. The factory mount is just a touch too high to work perfectly with the LMT rear sight on the go-to build I'm working on, but it lines up perfectly with the RRA Stand Alone rear sight & Samson HK front sight on my lightweight build.

The original plan was to buy a Trijicon MRO for the lightweight build. Toyed with the idea of an H2...screw it. It's only $. Guess I'm going to be Aimpoint CompM5-ing all the things.

I'll buy the Scalarworks 1.42 height mount for the next one. It's just a little bit lower than the Aimpoint factory mount & will play much better with the other setup.

20200728_182959.jpg

Good luck with your M5. I like to buy my Aimpoints with no mount and buy a Bobro mount. My Fav. I'm sure your GTG.

PB