• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buying a gun safe, looking for recommendations

lordt313

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2007
Louisville. KY
Getting ready to buy my first safe, have no idea whats good and what isn't. Just curious what you guys have to say about it.

I have 19 rifles and 9 pistols and growing. Not worried about a fire just theft.

Thanks,
Taylor

Re: Buying a gun safe, looking for recommendations

Avoid electronic locks, good ole fashion tumblers work just fine

I have owned several Liberty safes but I am very happy with my most recent purchase..a Zanotti. They may not be for everyone but I will buy another when the time comes.

Look at the AmSec BF series, built like a tank! I am very happy with mine.

I just bought a Liberty safe in my hometown for a great deal. The store happened to be having a sale... $200 off and no sales tax!! It came with interior lighting, electrical outlet kit, and a deluxe door panel to store extra stuff. Couldn't be happier!!!

Can't go wrong with most major brands of safes.

Two things I recommend though, get the highest fire rated safe you can and get the absolute largest one you can afford. I can't emphasize the second point enough. You will inevitably fill it to capacity long before your done adding to your collection and then wish you had gotten a bigger one. It's safe to say 99% of everyone that has purchased a firearms safe feels this way.

IMHO

I think you should reconsider fire protection. I've had two house fires and the insurance company does not want to hear or understand the value of some guns. Might save you some heartache down the road.

Fire protection and theft resistance are the two primary reasons for a safe. Decide the relative importance of both and shop accordingly. Bear in mind that in the event of a fire the relative coolest parts are around the periphery of the house as oppose to the center interior. The difference is alot. Consider the sophisticiation of thieves likely to burgularize you home/office and the level of safety necessary.

Fort Knox makes a kick ass safe with high rating in both fire and protection. But it is more expensive.

Do not go with a Costco floor variety as these offer neither fire or protection.

Think about Heritage, Browning, Summit.

Most safes are made in China and sold here under distributor names, and there are about 5 manufacturors in China selling here under about 12 names.

There are about 5 major names made in US that are superior safes, but cost more. Most are made in Utah for some reason.

Consider how it will get into your home. That can add a few dollars to the price.

When you finally decide on the size, go with the next one larger.

Door thickness is not the same as side thickness, they will be different. Know what thickness of steel you want where.

There is only a moderate uniformity of how fire protection is measured - this will become a problem when comparing models.

Make sure you provide for a light inside the safe.

Most offer digital locks made by Sergeant and Greenleaf - this is the best lock.

I went with a Summit Safe, made by Heritage, in the Everest model.

Buy at least twice the capacity you think you need.

Don't go by the companies' gun capacity ratings. They all must use single shot shotguns for their ad campaigns....

My wife bought me an American Eagle by Cannon a few years ago. It seems to be well built for the price and from the comparisons I've done, it ranks with some of the more expensive safes as far as fire ratings and protection.

It's not what I would have bought, but I'm happy with it. My biggest complaint is that it's not big enough so take the advice posted above and go as big as you can afford.

Understand the differences between a safe and an "rsc" (residential security container) first and foremost. Might keep you from getting surprised later. For most residential applications folks are satisfied with the rsc, some aren't. Just keep your expectations realistic based on what you're paying for and make sure your chosen salesman answers your questions clearly and honestly. Do your research.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red Belly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is an excellent link sir:

http://www.brownsafe.com/categories/faq/Protection_Levels.html

"Buyer beware" as they say. </div></div>

+1! The above is a <span style="font-weight: bold">great</span> link, well-worth of reading carefully.

I have a amsec sf 6032 and used the www.storemoreguns.com method to open up space some inside...i currently have 16 long guns with room for more

I posted a very long reply on this topic here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...205#Post1363434

The short answer is if you are on a budget get the Amsec BF series safes. They are far more secure than even the high end safes from other major companies. If that's not enough safe for you, then the Amsec HS series safe carries a true Underwriter's Labs burglary rating. But the BF has a real 1/2" plate steel door and about 2" of poured concrete fireliner in the walls along with lots of steel. It has good burglar and fire protection for an awesome price. I'd rather own an Amsec BF series safe than even the best top-of-the-line safe from many other manufacturers.

If you want top of the line, get a Graffunder safe. They are big bucks but the most secure gun safe you can buy. This is the opinion of other people in the safe business I know, too. Not just me.

Liberty, presidential. I am very happy with mine it holds all the junk plus some, fire proof blah blah blah.

I'm very happy with it and would purchase another if needed.

Liberty Presidential "50" - never looked back. Excellent fire rating and warranty.

I grueled over "what size". Glad I got the largest one they made - you will have it packed before you know it. Contrary to another statement, I like the electronic lock.

I found the article from link on 6mmbr that dreever mentions to provide a lot of good safe info. I bought a Fort Knox safe and am quite happy with it.

Spend about $1000-$2000 and get a home security system. It will protect more than just your guns and could save your ass if someone brakes in while you are home/sleeping. And will call the cops if your house stars on fire or gets broke into even while you are gone.

+1 for Graffunder. I have owned a Liberty Presidential and a Fort Knox safe and would recommend either....but if you can swing it invest in a Graffunder. Those of us on this site have quite a bit of money tied up in firearms. So why would you trust a medium level safe. My homeowners insurance actually gave me a discount for having the Graffunder. Just my .02

I bought a Cannon safe from Academy. Only downside is it has an electronic lock but everything else about the safe is top notch. Make sure you get at least a 2 hour fire rating.

dont know if you have a tractor supply in your area but I got my 44 gun for 900 and tax, best deals I've seen are those types of places that you normally wouldnt think about, good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jayjayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dont know if you have a tractor supply in your area but I got my 44 gun for 900 and tax, best deals I've seen are those types of places that you normally wouldnt think about, good luck </div></div> pure genius

+1 on Graffunder - but the cost can easily be prohibitive. Here's an example (I'm not a dealer and don't remember who these quotes were from - so consider them as ballpark orientation):

Bishop B6040: $6,741.00 Door 1/2”, body 1/4” (3-ga)
B7240: $7,196.15
B7248: $7,656.00

Castle C6040: $8,752.00 Door 1”, body 1/2” 0000000-ga)
C7240: $9,294.00
C7248: $9,702.00

Emperor E6040: $10,504.00 Door 1 1/2”, body 1”
E7240: $10,629.00
E7248: $11,751.00

Fortress F6040: $13,188.00 same as Emperor, manganese plate

i prefer to lock a gun(actually its not a gun yet just a throwing star cuz im a ninji) into a ammo can, place that can into a safe with a key. i then place the key into a combination lock briefcase then place that briefcase into another safe inside an even bigger safe the key to which i put into a safety deposit box the key to which is in a biometric pistol safe thats been buried in the ground at an undisclosed location. i place a map to this location in my freezer.(and by freezer i really mean prison purse)

I haven't done a lot of safe research but I see Tracker safes advertised a lot and they seem to be reasonably priced. IL post their web address so you can check them out and see if they are of any quality or just junk.

http://trackersafe.com/index.html

I have two Liberty safes, a Lincoln and a Centurion. Definitely buy the highest fire rating you can afford and whatever size safe you think you need...get one bigger.

I use the Lincoln for the most important stuff and the Centurion is for overflow.

I think any name brand company will be good to go, though.

I have a Liberty and a Fort Knox. Both highly recommended! YES on the point that you should get a larger safe than you "think" you need. Hell, no matter what size you get, you will later need another anyway
grin.gif
. Don't scrimp or you will wish you had not.

Agree with the "get highest fire rating" as any "good" safe is unlikely to be opened by your average crook, so your fire rating is just as important.

The average idiots/crooks may beat the hell out of a good safe, but they are just wasting bad breath. A talented breacher however, and it would not matter much what safe you have
grin.gif
. This type of individual usually won't be after your guns though!

My $.02, YMMV, and FWIW......

Im saving for a liberty, damn nice safes in my opinion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im saving for a liberty, damn nice safes in my opinion </div></div>

You should really take a look at a AmSec BF series before you commit to a Liberty. Just sayin.

How much they run? im lookin at 1.5k max

Ahhh, I see. They run at the 2K mark. I spent 3 hours at the gun showroom deciding on which safe to go with. After looking at all of the major brands, I went with AmSec because when you compare it to a Liberty, well there is no comparison. It has a very high fire rating, 1/2" steel plate on the front of the door, external hinges, etc. You can spend more with some of the other brands, but you will get less.

Look not only at the door thickness - thickness of the walls (even what kind of steel is used), how the bolts are controlled, what anti-breaking/anti-drilling mechanisms are employed, etc.

The Amsec BF is the best safe on the market in the lower end price point. It's a 1/2" plate steel door (a real plate steel door, not sheet metal wrapped around gypsum board like others). The walls are 11 gauge steel but then they pour in a lightweight fire barrier that isn't as hard as concrete, but a hell of a lot tougher than the drywall other vendors use. Then the interior wall is another 16 gauge metal from what I recall. So the walls end up being around 2" thick of steel and concrete liner. The door is 1/2" plate steel and poured fire liner as well. It's a FAR tougher safe than the other brands on the market for the price. It's more secure than the top of the line safes of all major brands. It also has far better fire protection than these other major brand safes.

I'd spend the little extra if you can and get the Amsec BF because you will end up with much better protection - even better than many other's most expensive safes.

The smaller Amsec BF series are in the mid 1.5K range. Then you have shipping and installation so add on a few hundred more:

http://www.safeandvaultstore.com/productdetails/46

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k6k9iGGWQ1w"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k6k9iGGWQ1w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I'm a licensed safe technician that's drilled open a couple dozen safes in my time and also seen burglarized safes so I'm speaking from direct experience.

I second the zanotti( Cedar falls, Iowa.) Strong, breaks down for easy moving. If you need fire protection make a closet for it with fire stop drywall. That is what the others use & bulding a closet will save you $$$$.
in-range

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ahhh, I see. They run at the 2K mark. I spent 3 hours at the gun showroom deciding on which safe to go with. After looking at all of the major brands, I went with AmSec because when you compare it to a Liberty, well there is no comparison. It has a very high fire rating, 1/2" steel plate on the front of the door, external hinges, etc. You can spend more with some of the other brands, but you will get less. </div></div>
Im looking at this one:
http://www.libertysafe.com/safe_colonial.php

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ahhh, I see. They run at the 2K mark. I spent 3 hours at the gun showroom deciding on which safe to go with. After looking at all of the major brands, I went with AmSec because when you compare it to a Liberty, well there is no comparison. It has a very high fire rating, 1/2" steel plate on the front of the door, external hinges, etc. You can spend more with some of the other brands, but you will get less. </div></div>
Im looking at this one:
http://www.libertysafe.com/safe_colonial.php
</div></div>

Nice safe, but doesnt compare, not even close. 45 min fire rating against 90, internal hinges vs external......... save up some more money and get a AmSec. Keep in mind that a Safe is an investment, not something you will be replacing every couple of years.

I can't argue with XOR's direct experience. But I just feel that 11 ga steel cage may be adequate but not excellent (a safe with a thicker outer cage would be better), and 16-ga inner cage seems entirely too weak.

I hear you about AMSEC using harder fire retardant than gypsum - still, how well would it resist say a powered saw? (Or 11 ga wall plate, for that?)

Find a used commercial safe that is rated TL30 or TL15, make your own interior and don't look back. None of the common "gun" safes can come close to the protection or peace of mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear you about AMSEC using harder fire retardant than gypsum - still, how well would it resist say a powered saw? (Or 11 ga wall plate, for that?) </div></div>

The Amsec is a poured lightweight concrete material. It's not as hard as a concrete used in a heavy jeweler's safe, but it's WAY harder than gypsum board. Not only this, but the safe is really a container within a container. The concrete is poured in between the two steel walls. It has no seams or gaps in the protection like other safes do. So not only does a burglar have to contend with the outer wall, then the concrete, but then there is another inner wall of steel that is as thick as the outer walls alone on most other brands.

Granted the Amsec BF is not as tough as a true burglar rated safe from UL such as a TL-15 or Tl-30. But I can assure you it is much tougher than the vast majority of gun safes that people commonly see AND it's far cheaper. It's also got much better fire protection and I don't care what fire ratings these other places are claiming. A poured cement liner is better than cheap drywall. It's better for burglary and it's better for fire. Real safes use lots of steel and concrete in the walls. They don't use drywall.

Then again, if you want a true TL-30 rated safe you can get the Amsec HS series. But that thing is a beast weighing several thousands of pounds. It needs to be installed only on concrete floors.

But again we're talking lower priced safes and the BF safe is a great buy compared to just about anyone else. If you want the best, then buy a Graffunder Safe.

Re: Modifying a burglary rated TL-15 or TL-30 safe.

I've seen it done and if you can find a large enough one it can work. But keep in mind that these safes are not rated for fire protection and your guns will almost certainly bake in them during a fire. Safes large enough for long guns that are TL rated and torch/fire resistant are expensive unless you luck out and find one at auction or the like. Only jeweler's safes carry both ratings typically and they are big hulking monsters.

Another option is to search govt. auctions for GSA rated small arms lockers/containers. They are usually supplied with racks for holding weapons and can be had for reasonable prices. Again though they are not fire rated. Get the Class 5 versions for better security.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drmarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't go wrong with most major brands of safes.

Two things I recommend though, get the highest fire rated safe you can and get the absolute largest one you can afford. I can't emphasize the second point enough. You will inevitably fill it to capacity long before your done adding to your collection and then wish you had gotten a bigger one. It's safe to say 99% of everyone that has purchased a firearms safe feels this way.

IMHO </div></div>

+1. Lots of good advice thus far. I have one of the biggest Liberty Safes prior to the FAT BOY - I filled it way too quickly.

Keep in mind that scoped rifles take up more room and you won't be able to fit nearly the number of long guns the safe is rated for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear you about AMSEC using harder fire retardant than gypsum - still, how well would it resist say a powered saw? (Or 11 ga wall plate, for that?) </div></div>

The Amsec is a poured lightweight concrete material. It's not as hard as a concrete used in a heavy jeweler's safe, but it's WAY harder than gypsum board. Not only this, but the safe is really a container within a container. The concrete is poured in between the two steel walls. It has no seams or gaps in the protection like other safes do. So not only does a burglar have to contend with the outer wall, then the concrete, but then there is another inner wall of steel that is as thick as the outer walls alone on most other brands.

Granted the Amsec BF is not as tough as a true burglar rated safe from UL such as a TL-15 or Tl-30. But I can assure you it is much tougher than the vast majority of gun safes that people commonly see AND it's far cheaper. It's also got much better fire protection and I don't care what fire ratings these other places are claiming. A poured cement liner is better than cheap drywall. It's better for burglary and it's better for fire. Real safes use lots of steel and concrete in the walls. They don't use drywall.

Then again, if you want a true TL-30 rated safe you can get the Amsec HS series. But that thing is a beast weighing several thousands of pounds. It needs to be installed only on concrete floors.

But again we're talking lower priced safes and the BF safe is a great buy compared to just about anyone else. If you want the best, then buy a Graffunder Safe.

Re: Modifying a burglary rated TL-15 or TL-30 safe.

I've seen it done and if you can find a large enough one it can work. But keep in mind that these safes are not rated for fire protection and your guns will almost certainly bake in them during a fire. Safes large enough for long guns that are TL rated and torch/fire resistant are expensive unless you luck out and find one at auction or the like. Only jeweler's safes carry both ratings typically and they are big hulking monsters.

Another option is to search govt. auctions for GSA rated small arms lockers/containers. They are usually supplied with racks for holding weapons and can be had for reasonable prices. Again though they are not fire rated. Get the Class 5 versions for better security. </div></div>

As a Safe Technician myself, I can agree with everything XOR has said. The AMSEC BF is one of the best gun safes on the market IMHO.

As far as preventing someone form cutting through the wall of a safe.. there is nothing anyone can do to prevent someone from opening a safe if they have unlimited time and tools. All you can do is buy time.

Only other comment is get any of your gun safes with a Mechanical lock. (Unless you live in SE Georgia, I can use the work). Mechanicals are far more reliable then the electronic ones

Safes using a "poured" heat barrier are far and away more effective than those using "gypsum" or sheet rock. That said, don't look at those heat barriers as penetration or burglary barriers, unless it's in what's marketed as a "composite" safe. A poured material contains vermiculite or similar lightweight substance to reduce the mixtures overall density and to add moisture content. The cement is used only as a binding agent for the insulating material. Even when left out to dry, it's very lightweight and "crumbly". Effective heat barrier, yes. Forced entry barrier, no. Composite units simply have additional concrete/rock added plus greater overall thickness.

While the interior steel body does in effect add an additional forced entry barrier it's not one that's typically attacked. Doing so would run the risk of damaging the contents of the unit...ultimately what bad guy is after. For that reason you typically only see those types of attacks on high end jeweler units where the high value contents, be it cash, jewelry or documents, are still worth taking even with a portion of it/them destroyed.

As a fire protection engineer, I know that house fires do not last 30 minutes, much less 45, or 90 minutes. Don't buy more than you need or is reasonable. I have a Centurion Fatboy Jr., the biggest safe for the money.