• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buying a new house and property?

Tazman

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2004
Indiana
Asking for my buddy since I don't have any guns other than a 22 Marlin. After 15 years of building a maintenance free brick house with full generator and shop we are looking at moving to the country. To do this we are going to have to really go in debt but it's kind of our dream place. 23 acres of land and woods with the perfect set up for us to shoot. Than being said my buddy is considering selling some his collection to offset some expenses. He has asked my opinion of what he should keep. I thought I would ask here for my friend since some of you have had to make these choices before also. My buddy is 52 so he will be old when he gets it paid off!!lol

338 lapua HS precision HTR
30-06- Meridith custom rifle Proof Carbon Barrel, Remington action 190 Berger 2830fps 5 shot .382 group B&C A-5 similar
300wm - Remington 5r shoots .6 moa with 208 Amax Not a custom build but has a Trigger tech trigger and Fat bastard break.
7-300 WSM Shoot Straight Gunworks 180 Berger at 3032fps Mcmillan A-5 Benchmark 26 inch barrel Defiant action
7SAUM SAC build- Proof Carbon barrel 180 Berger 2940fps .5moa Manners EH1 Remington long action
6.5 Creedmoor GAP full build- Proof carbon barrel McMillan A5
6.5 Creedmoor DMR 18 inch Proof Carbon barrel was a LTR Remington Will arrive at the house on Thursday.
260-Winchester action with Hart heavy contour barrel-has placed 2nd and 3rd at PRS matches Mcmillan A-5
6mm Creedmoor - Tikka action but full build with Proof Carbon barrel McMillan A-5 108 ELDM .5 or better at 3100fps

Rifles to keep

308 Full Merideth build which is a all around rifle. 178 at 2784fps TAC 30 action
GAP AR10 308
2 223 AR's
Savage Predator 22 250

What ever my buddy chooses to sell will be sold at a local dealer for him. Most rifles have NF 34mm tube scopes or Vortex RZR Gen 2 with one exception of the 30-06 has a new USO 34mm tube 5-25 on it. All are in MOA. This is a very tough decision for my buddy but life comes with sacrifice sometimes I guess. His thoughts right now are the 7mm SAUM, 6.5 GAP, 6mm Creedmore, Remington 300wm with scope, 30-06, and 2 ATACR scopes SFP, USO scope?

If this is not appropriate here feel free to delete the thread but sometimes you need a sounding board for a different perspective.

We have a farm in Michigan, and the juice is worth the squeeze. It seemed like a fortune when we bought it but now I could never give up the privacy or the freedom. Our driveway is a 1/2 long, which can suck during winter, but nobody just comes to our property.
Your friend might want to consider keep the 6.5 creedmoor bolt gun. I always considered my 6.5's as target rifles until we moved to the farm. Here is Michigan we have a crazy coyote problem and with large fields the Creedmoor is the go to gun. Also when we head to northern Michigan the 6.5 has been filling the freezer was well as any caliber I have ever used. The best thing is pick a caliber and remember the ballistics by heart, pest don't wait. Once again, it was really the best decision we have made... he is going to sell the guns for a small tractor.

Obviously I don’t know the details of his money situation or what he is paying for the new place, but in the big scheme of things is the relatively small amount he will get for his guns worth it? To me it would not be. What he is going to get for his guns is not going to help much on a nice place +acreage. When I say small amount I’m comparing a gun to an acre of land. It would be different if he had a C130 gun ship laying around to sell, that would knock a dent in a nice place. Just my worthless 2 pennies....

Also have a "buddy" in same situation. 36ac, house on pond, high-end shop, secluded/etc. I've He's been debt free for years and grown fond of it but current area is changing and given my his age it's now or never. After old place sells, SS alone will cover the new mortgage.

The money for the guns is only for improvements to the new place. Don't want to take money from 401 or savings. That's my fear is taking beating on the rifles. Figured with tax time coming and the ability to take credit cards would make them more favorable being in a high end shop and be able to handle them.

It's a really nice place and it will take about 20k extra to pour the concrete and a few other items wanted. No kids or family to leave anything to so only 2 people to worry about. Putting a $110K down on a $350K place with option to buy another 19 acres of woods later.

23 acres and 10 acres are woods.

Last edited:
Can always buy bolts guns later. Wouldn’t sell semis in this political climate. They should sell better close to tax time.

Can always sell them as you do the improvements

Reactions: Jgunner
I don't know that I would consider selling a gun (if I owned any)

general loss of value, even nice guns lose a lot in resale (and commission it sounds like in your case)
(might be worth it if I was certain I just never wanted a gun like that again)

I know scopes hold value, maybe it makes more sense to sell those off separately to gain some cash
Then look at 0% interest credit cards to cover some of the gap (you can usually find these endlessly to keep flipping the debt)
Wait a bit after you move in, and establish a HELOC and use that for improvements

but I am 100% with you to do whatever it takes to retire on a nice private property with some land. If that is what needs to be done, and other options are exhausted, then so be it

Reactions: Tazman
Land is the valuable commodity and it is the one thing we own that can take of us. A good portion of our food comes from the veggies we grow and the meat we harvest. I use to have a lot larger gun collection but after being on the farm I found a few guns get used and others sat. Ironic because now we can shoot whenever and out a good distance, 700-800 yards. Out on the property I am starting to understand the statement... Be wary of the man with one gun. It seems I gravitate to one gun and I have become the best marksman I have been because of my land. I still have too many toys but my piece of this earth is special.

Reactions: Jgunner and Tazman
Very true and they make more bolt guns every day. It's a tough decision for sure but the house sits back off the road about 250 yards. There are 8 acres of hay that can produce some money but know nothing about that one yet.

The 18 inch proof barreled 6.5 creedmoor hasn't even arrived yet!!lol

Reactions: Jgunner
High end alfalfa blends are what the do at Bourbon Creek, our farm! If you ever have questions don't be afraid to ask, first couple years there are a lot of questions. 6.5cm Shorty=fun farm gun!!!
65cm.jpg

Trade the guns to your contractors for their services. You will get closer to 100% of the value and no commissions to middlemen. Most of them shoot and appreciate a nice firearm. The transaction is also tax free to them unless they report it, as the good taxpaying business men I'm sure they are, as barter income. But, if they don't, they save 15.3% self employment tax, an additional 25% or so in Fed income tax, and an additional 5% or so in state income tax on the profit implying they could/should make you a smoking good deal on labor at least.

Going to take a beating selling guns this time of year

This, its a buyer's market. Double if your having a dealer sell them. Tell him to get an account here and sell them or go to the local gun trader site.

It is a perfect place from what we see. The guy who had it built was going to retire with his wife but they have decided to move back to Texas to be near their daughter. The house is set up to be maintenance free and has 6 inch studded walls with extra insulation and many other features that someone would want as they got older. The house is a little smaller than what the house now but only because it has no basement which even though the basement finished really nice, it's rarely used.

Reactions: Tcoddington
Even though it's been a few years, I wanted to share my thoughts. It sounds like you and your buddy have some great guns and are planning to move to the country with a dream place in mind. As for what to sell from his collection, it depends on his priorities and what he enjoys shooting the most. Maybe he could consider keeping his top few favorites and selling the rest to offset expenses.
There is zero fucking chance you signed up just to reply to this necrothread.

Fuck off spammer.

If you can't swing a 15 year, look at a 20. You'll save a ton of interest and the rates are better.